Switch from DraftSight

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Switch from DraftSight

Post by ColoradoWayne »

DraftSight (AutoCad clone) is changing things up soon so it's time to find a new drawing program. Based on what I've read in this area, it seems most folks are pretty happy with Corel Draw. Anyone have any recommendations or cautions with this switch? I have an extensive library of dxf files and don't see myself converting them to svg unless they need modification. Guess I will need an external dxf to svg converter though, right? Anyone made this switch that can offer any insight? Thanks.
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Switch from DraftSight

Post by djreiswig »

I guess you could always pay them $99/ year and keep using Draftsight.
I'm in the same boat. Not gonna happen for the little I use it. Maybe qcad. It's still free at the moment.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

Yup, not worth the money to me either. I see CorelDraw is less than $100 on ebay for a lifetime license. I'm playing with the free trial version and finding it seems to like to save everything in splines which does not work for me. I've played with FreeCad and so far not thrilled with that. I don't mind paying $100 or so, but then leave me alone - no forced updates or subscriptions.
Wayne
Hypertherm Powermax 65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Agree with your last sentence. I think they used to offer a one time purchase version, but it looks like subscription is the only way now. It's a shame they're killing the free version that we're using now. I would be happy if the latest free version would just keep working. I don't have any use for all of the 3d stuff, but it looks like that is where everyone is going. Hopefully it backfires on them and people go elsewhere.

A friend used TurboCad for a while before we found Draftsight. I think I've seen old versions on eBay.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

It is Jan 1 at noon and my Draftsight still opens. Hmmmmm?
Wayne
Hypertherm Powermax 65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Probably die when it's time to reregister.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

I didn't think of that. Makes sense though. Guess I'll find out in about 32 days.
Wayne
Hypertherm Powermax 65
JBaumert
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JBaumert »

I switched to the "free" version of NanoCAD when DraftSight decided to go paid and kill the old versions. Basically it's an "AutoCAD" clone and works well.

https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/download/
sdalcher
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sdalcher »

I use DraftSight everyday at work running our laser cutter, I was pretty bummed when they changed their pricing structure, but it’s only $99 year, so I went ahead and paid a year subscription for my personal use. I love the simplicity and the ability to command line input, since that’s the way I learned CAD 30 years ago. I created a few DraftSight tutorial videos on my YouTube page that I would be happy to share if anyone wanted. Just drop me a PM.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

djreiswig wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:47 am Agree with your last sentence. I think they used to offer a one time purchase version, but it looks like subscription is the only way now.
I've got a perpetual license of Coreldraw 2019 and at the time I upgraded that was the last of the perpetual licenses.

Looks like they've changed back again because now I keep getting pop ups for the 2020 version in subscription AND perpetual. However, subscription is asking Australian $550/year, and perpetual is asking A$1100.

I don't think I'll be upgrading any more. I've lost a lot of trust with Corel after their campaign not so long ago where they suddenly told many users they had a pirate version. Heard quite a few complaints where customers said they bought direct from Corel and were being told they had a pirate version.

I'd been using X5 for many years, and had registered several times as I re-installed on upgraded computers. No problems then wham, my version is suddenly a pirate one. Anyway, after I upgraded to 2019 I found out the DXF export did not work correctly with layers. Went through a lot of frustration with Corel Support and their final words were along the lines of, "This will not be fixed anytime soon". So I upgrade and end up with that, unbelievable, and what pathetic "support".

I see this Coreldraw section of the forum has gone extremely quiet compared to a few years ago. Wonder why........
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”