Joining lines in Corel Draw X7

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Joining lines in Corel Draw X7

Post by WyoGreen »

I've always struggled to join lines together. I'd select the lines and use the weld command to join them together, but they really wouldn't join. They would be "primed" to join, but I'd have to select the 2 end nodes and kind of "hover" 1 node over the other until they "clicked" together. A rather tedious process when joining many lines together. Recently while trying to figure out some problems in an imported .dxf file, I found a short cut key sequence that joins lines together quickly and simply.

You simply select the lines you want to join together, and then press the "Ctrl + Shift + J" keys and bingo, the lines are joined. A pop up box asks for a distance between nodes to be joined. This needs to be set to a distance less than that between adjacent lines, or you may join lines in places you don't want joined. Right now I'm using .03 as the distance and it seems to work well. Any lines that don't join have a problem that needs further work.

It appears that older versions of Corel Draw had an Arrange menu at the top of the screen, and the join command was on that drop down command list, which was where I got onto the Short cut keys. A search thru the Corel Draw X7 short cut keys list showed the join key sequence still exists in X7, just not the drop down menu command.

Since this was new to me, I thought perhaps there were others that were unaware of it also.
Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Joining lines in Corel Draw X7

Post by acourtjester »

may not be even close but Inkscape has a "join selected end nodes with segment" you select a end node then hold down the shift key and select the other end node and click on the icon and they are joined no matter the distance. Maybe Corel has something similar.
join end nodes.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I assume it's still there in X7 as it is in X8 and the same way I did it in X5.

Window > Dockers > Join Curves to have it in the docker menu
Anytime you want to join just select what you wish to join and hit the "join curves" from the docker menu and the distance menu appears, make sure you have "extend" selected and if you're happy with the gap tolerance hit "Apply"

Another thing I love about Corel is that many tasks have multiple ways of achieving the desired result. I probably should use shortcuts more often in general.
Murray
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Since the first post, I have explored the different Window/Workspace/views. The Arrange menu is still there under the "Classic" view. The join curves command is available in the default view under the Object menu.
I have also played with the different node commands, and there is a mode similar to what acourtjester suggested. I think the biggest frustration I have with Corel Draw is you can do something one way and it works fine, and the next time you try it it doesn't work. But I continue to make progress. Maybe someday I'll be an expert at it (or not)

Thanks for everyone's replies, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Just remember that when you join objects together, they must be on the same layer. If you can't join them, select them both and then "Combine" them so that they are on the same layer and then you should be albe to join them no problem.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Doesn't look likes corel4X has it in those locations or hot key..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Even objects on the same layer have to be COMBINED to tie the nodes together to form one object (polyline)

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”