CorelDraw warning - illegal software

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

CorelDraw warning - illegal software

Post by tirediron »

In the last couple of days I've had an issue with Corel Draw X5. Basically it comes up with a screen telling me I have a pirated copy. I've had this installed on my computer for 8 years (this version came as a package deal when I first bought my CNC machine) and this is the first time that this message has come up. I contacted CorelDraw and told them about the issue. In short they told me I had a pirated copy and gave me a link to buy X7 for $250. I'm wondering how many of you have and this problem, if so how have you overcome this issue?

Thanks

Gerry
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CorelDraw warning - illegal software

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I've had that show up on a X8 as well, I ignored it.. So far it's still working.. Corel puts the "Cus" in Customer Service
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'm in exactly the same boat. Had X5 for God knows how many years, always activated online on quite a few PCs over the years, got the patch upgrades etc.

I've always recommended Coreldraw but now Corel have done a great job of turning me against them.

About a month ago I get the pop up messages saying my X5 is a pirate version and I have a limited time to take advantage of the amnesty deal before my X5 stops working. Well, I thought I'd like the new features of 2017 (offered in the amnesty deal) so $310 later I have 2017 installed.

Next thing I find I cannot stop disabled layers exporting to DXF. It seems since version X7 there is now a bug where you cannot stop a disabled layer from exporting to DXF. I've been in contact with support and been absolutely pulling my hair out. They dodge and divert and ask you to do all sorts of un-necessary stuff to a brand new default install (like putting all settings back to default on a brand new install). Or completely uninstalling and reinstalling on a brand new install.

In a nutshell I'm really starting to think Corel, as a company, are a pack of crooks. That piracy message appears to be going out to the masses, even to users of genuine software. I've seen a forum thread where genuine users got this message and contacted Corel to get it sorted. I can't help thinking Corel is getting desperate and are using this tactic to force/scare legit users into upgrading.

My X5 is still fully functioning, despite messages randomly popping up saying it's functionality is disabled. This company can't seem to get anything right. Not only do they seem to be targeting legit customers but they can't even disable their software when messages say it's disabled. And when you do buy the upgraded version you find it now has bugs in as mentioned above. And this particular bug has been there since at least X7. I know this because I've got a bunch of users of X7, X8 & 2017 to test this issue and all have exactly the same problem.

And then when you go for "support", what a friggin joke. Seriously they'll put you in the loony house. Finally, after all the back and forth emails, this is what I get:

"The only thing I can do is to escalate this to the development team, however, this will not be solved soon".

There's Corel support !!!
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
SegoMan DeSigns

A little more research produced this article (on their own forum no less):

https://community.coreldraw.com/talk/co ... -coreldraw
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I thought Corel "support" could not get any worse.

After going back and forth for about a month now repeatedly explaining the bug that exists in Coreldraw X7, X8 and 2017, and getting the response:
"The only thing I can do is to escalate this to the development team, however, this will not be solved soon".

I get a new email from someone called Mel. Read this:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support. My name is Simone and I have been assigned to your ticket.

I do understand that you need assistance for the download of your software. No worries let me go ahead and help you with this.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,
Mel

Looks like Mel thinks his/her name is Simone LOL.

And so much for the development team being given details of my problem. Looks like everything has went full circle back to the beginning.

I've only heard how much of a joke Corel support is, but never realised it was this pathetic. Somehow this Mel thinks my problem is downloading the software, and wants me to ask any further questions.

Seriously, Corel Support seem completely incapable of understanding simple English.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Hello,
I do understand you are having an identity crisis, Simone, or is it Mel? No worries let me go ahead and help you with this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you figure out what the heck you are doing.

Regards,
Beefy

:lol: :lol:
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

It is done on purpose so you loose interest and you move on with your complaint
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

robertspark wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:08 am It is done on purpose so you loose interest and you move on with your complaint
I've actually been very direct with them in that regard and previously told them I believe they are doing it on purpose.

I'm very curious though to see how it all progresses. It would be good to post on the Coreldraw forum and include all the back and forth emails to show how dishonest Corel really is.

There are alternatives out there. Most know that Inkscape is free, but there's also another one or two that I've forgot the name of and one of them is quite cheap.

I can also get a little payback by looking for a pirate/cracked version of future releases. They want to rip me off, I'll try the same :twisted:
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

I still have the issue with the message. I also have heard back from the "support", but the only thing they want to do is sell me an update. I went on line to Corel and found my account where I registered the copy that I have. I replied back to the person from support telling them that they have my registered copy on file. Just waiting now on their response.

Thanks for all that have replied to the thread!!

G
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

GIMP
https://www.gimp.org

Free... Same as inkscape.

Not used blender (lack of time plus just another thing to learn and play with...) but looks interesting for 3d work
https://www.blender.org/download/

Again free
SegoMan DeSigns

tirediron wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am I still have the issue with the message. I also have heard back from the "support", but the only thing they want to do is sell me an update. I went on line to Corel and found my account where I registered the copy that I have. I replied back to the person from support telling them that they have my registered copy on file. Just waiting now on their response.

G
Did you try the steps outlined in the last link I posted? It shows how to prevent the pop-up message, we are not alone in our battle.. :mrgreen:
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:08 pm
tirediron wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 am I still have the issue with the message. I also have heard back from the "support", but the only thing they want to do is sell me an update. I went on line to Corel and found my account where I registered the copy that I have. I replied back to the person from support telling them that they have my registered copy on file. Just waiting now on their response.

G
Did you try the steps outlined in the last link I posted? It shows how to prevent the pop-up message, we are not alone in our battle.. :mrgreen:
I've done it several times but the messages folder keeps getting reinstated and the messages come again. Funny thing is last time I used my X5 which is AFTER I've had a message saying I can't save anymore, etc, I can use it as I always have.

Maybe Corel is deliberately trying to rip off their customers by tricking / scaring them into upgrading, but are worried of a legal backlash if they really do disable many legit installs. And so it all just a scare tactic. So far everyone seems to be saying their "pirated" version has not been disabled.

I wonder if they'll lose more money in future sales, than what they'll gain with all this dishonest amnesty upgrade ripoff.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:08 pm

G
No I've not tried to do the thing on the link you provided. I thought I would wait to see their response after I told them about going to their website and finding my product listed. If they still insist then I will give your "link" a try.

Thanks for your response!!

G
Sampson Jones
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Sampson Jones »

There f in crooks !!! Ive had the illegal software pop up completely shut me out of the software I bought direct from them ! Ive been a user for many years . I bought 2018 version now they have me shut down . Tech support is in India and no help . I got a link from them to regedit on my computer , and it did not work ! I tried it twice .called the last two days ,and all they can say is we have expedited it to our top team . CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WOULD BE AWESOME ON THESE F HEADS ! And btw there online chat button does not work on the support web site !
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Sounds like the same people that are calling my home telling me my computer has been compromised..."Please give me the number on the back of your laptop..." :-D :lol: :-D I let the wife handle it...acted like she's 105 years old and had me rolling on the floor and I know he was pulling his hair out.

Wish you the same with corel. Sorry to hear about this, glad I don't have to deal with this issue as it would shut me down. Got to say all this looks shady from the sidelines.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'd go on the Coreldraw forum itself and "advertise" what Corel is doing.

Recently came across a thread somewhere, where a very loyal, very long term user has moved on to different software. He says the company has completely changed and they have turned into crooks, and now there pricing is "very aggressive".

Support never fixed the DXF export issue that has now existed for a few versions. There final words to me were, "This will not be fixed any time soon".

I've just dropped a total of $600 on two recent upgrades. First Corel says my X5 version (which I've registered mulitiple times as I've upgraded PCs) was pirated, so I upgrade to 2017 in the "amnesty" deal. However, Corel are very cunning in this regard, as they didn't allow you to update to the latest 2019 version. So much for "amnesty", it's all a ploy to attempt you to do 2 upgrades. Later this year the perpetual license will no longer exist and it's moving to subscription, so I upgraded to 2019. No way do I want to be paying Corel $200/year from now on.

Based on their corrupt methods of getting users cash, I'm expecting more of their dodgy exploits in the future. I could not blame anyone for hunting for successfully pirated versions of the software so Corel can't come and take away what they have paid for. Based on several threads I've came across it appears the piracy crap has even happened to users that purchased direct from Corel.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
kwyet1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kwyet1 »

I keep getting that stupid popup. Now, twice, upon opening and again upon closing the program. My program is NOT illegal - I have contacted them, did all the things they suggested, and like everyone else, it NEVER got solved. So, I don't care anymore. Let the Corel police come. In any case, my program still works fine. But I sure would like to get rid of that stupid popup. Anyone know how to get rid of it???
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

I found out you do an apps data roaming thingy , open the Corel folder and delete the messages folder , something like that is what I did . And the top team at Corel support never contacted me back ! They don't want you to know how to do this - so they can trick you into buying new software . Complete unethical , shady crooks !
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
SegoMan DeSigns

Posted on another thread:

The upgrade and perpetual license will still be offered , it is the upgrade policy that is changing. You will have to upgrade with every new version or loose the upgrade pricing and pay full retail for future purchases (if any LoL).

This is off their website:
Hi everyone. I want to provide a bit more context. As everyone knows, we pride ourselves at Corel in offering choice for how to get CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. For some, that means subscribing. For others, that means buying a perpetual license. The only thing that is really changing later this year is the "open upgrade" whereby users of any previous version can buy the perpetual upgrade license of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019. We will still provide the opportunity for current version owners to get into the latest version without having to subscribe or pay the Full version price. In the past we have changed the upgrade policy where only certain recent versions were eligible. Right now, the policy is wide open. But that is the only element that is changing later this year. As for Upgrade Protection, if you choose to go that route, it is valid for a period of one year from when you purchase it before it would need to be renewed to remain eligible for new versions as they come out. Thanks

Another link:

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/upgr ... ehicle=edm
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

Heres the fix to get rid of corel messages .
Fix for being accused of stealing CorelDRAW! - CorelDRAW ...
https://community.coreldraw.com/talk/co ... /coreldraw...

Delete Corel message folder to correct the issue. 1. Press Windows key + R. 2. Type %appdata% and hit enter. 3. Go to Corel folder 4. Delete the "Messages" folder </quote> That worked. The accusational message box no longer appeared.
Corel tech support wont tell you this , only they will refer you to their top team to check into it - poof they are a bunch of shady scum bags .Would love to see them sued .
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
sbest1

Post by sbest1 »

I have X5 version and the "illegal copy" notice popped up for the longest time and then finally my program wouldn't work.
I know it was not an illegal copy that I purchased. I spent some time, as others, on the chat line and got no where. I told
them that was no way to do business and threatened to go on social media warning others of what they were doing. They
said they are going to investigate....we'll see if that happens. Meanwhile, I tried the fix posted here about deleting the
message folder and VOILA, it works again. Thanks to the poster, for the fix.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I'm still using Corel version X7 purchased back in 2014. It works fine and I have never had any "illegal copy" notices pop up. Perhaps I have just been lucky. But at least now I know how to correct the problem should it arise.
Thanks,
David

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”