Problem with ovals in Coreldraw x6

Corel Draw Graphics Suite related questions and tips can be posted here
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Problem with ovals in Coreldraw x6

Post by OTHill »

I keep having problems when I draw an oval and also some small circles in drawings and I export and later want to import again the oval or circle comes with many segments . Is this a bug or can something be done about it?
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Re: Problem with ovals in Coreldraw x6

Post by OTHill »

20220228_170308.jpg
This is what it does in Sheetcam
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Are you able to post the Corel Draw .cdr file of one of these problem ovals?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

It looks to me like you file needs to be linked/joined to attach all the individual segments into a continuous closed path.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:15 pm 20220228_170308.jpg
What program are you using to create your cut paths? Sheetcam?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yes - please post your .cdr file so we can have a look.
David
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Here are some random shapes. As you will see its only ovals and circles that are a problem.
Ovals and circles.dxf
(52.94 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:43 pm Here are some random shapes. As you will see its only ovals and circles that are a problem.Ovals and circles.dxf
You have provided a dxf file. I opened it with CoredDraw and saved it in .cdr format.
I opened it with Design Edge, LightBurn, and Inkscape and don't see any problems. What is your specific problem? Is it only when you import to Sheetcam to create tool paths?
David
Ovals and circles from CD.jpg
Ovals and circles from CD.cdr
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Ovals and circles Design Edge.jpg
Ovals and circles from Inkscape.jpg
oval and circles.svg
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:15 pm 20220228_170308.jpg
I don't use Sheetcam, so I am not familiar with what it should look like. Perhaps Tom will step in here and give us a hand.
David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

There is a post on the sheetcam forum about this. It has something to do with arc fitting.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok from the OP original image there are many segments, and it shows with the start numbers seen in the image for each oval. When I open the SVG file posted by David each item has only one start showing only 7 starts. As david states it needed the linked/joined function which he did. I cannot open the other files to look at it before. This is a way I look at drawing to see if they are complete or segmented, just checking the number of starts will show either. Hope this helps.
oval and 1.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

I downloaded OTHill's file named Ovals and circles.dxf and opened it directly into Sheetcam and I only see 1 start for each object. This must not be the same file OTHill originally opened to generate the problem in the original post. Is there a different file? Could a different version of Sheetcam interpret the same file differently?

sheetcam.PNG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Now that is interesting here is what I get when opening OTHILL's DFX file different from David's ????? Now I am using SheetCam development version
Now if I use the TNG version I get this error message. OHILL are you using a current version of SheetCam
oval and 2.JPG
oval and 3.JPG
oval and 3.JPG (22.53 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
oval and 4.JPG
oval and 4.JPG (24.17 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

For reference I was using the TNG version
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks for all the help so far! I need to explain things a little more clearly. The problem isn't Sheetcam. When I draw an oval export and open in SC alls well. When I import the oval back into CD to edit it its all messed up.
Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg On left is oval exported out of CD and into SC.On right is oval back into CD and opened agin in SC.[attachment=1]Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg
Here is what it looks like in CD I know this is all messed up.Hopefully you get the idea. Im illiterate when it comes to screen shots etc.
Attachments
Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg
Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg (2.49 KiB) Viewed 6951 times
Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg
Annotation 2022-03-02 083447.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 6951 times
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Sounds like CD's import filter is messing up your arcs. Is there a setting that is converting them to polylines?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:06 am There is a post on the sheetcam forum about this. It has something to do with arc fitting.
https://forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8767

The dreaded splines strike again, I did multiple emails to Coreldraw over them and they say they don't exist..
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

djreiswig wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:38 pm Sounds like CD's import filter is messing up your arcs. Is there a setting that is converting them to polylines?
Any idea where I would fix that?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pm
djreiswig wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:38 pm Sounds like CD's import filter is messing up your arcs. Is there a setting that is converting them to polylines?
You posted your dxf file, and not your cdr file. It is not clear what process you are using here. Are you saying you save as cdr, and then reopen with CD and it has these problems? Or are you exporting as dxf and then later importing this same dxf file to CD? Or???

I would need to know exactly what you are doing here to try to help you. Please post your original cdr file here (not dxf) so we can try to help you.

Thanks,
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is more poop in the mix, I opened the first posted DXF file in Inkscape and it shows other circles and ovals that are hidden from the SheetCam display shown earlier. Could these be ovals or circles you deleted or removed but are still in the files background. Not knowing what you want to draw but I would look at learning Inkscape and using that. for circles and ovals they are very easy to draw, shape and size. This go the same for squares or rectangles. You can highlight each one and give it a size in the X or Y planes to reshape.
oval and 5.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Inkscape
ovala.JPG
oval C.JPG
oval B.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

adbuch wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:46 pm
OTHill wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:24 pm
You posted your dxf file, and not your cdr file. It is not clear what process you are using here. Are you saying you save as cdr, and then reopen with CD and it has these problems? Or are you exporting as dxf and then later importing this same dxf file to CD? Or???

I would need to know exactly what you are doing here to try to help you. Please post your original cdr file here (not dxf) so we can try to help you.

Thanks,
David
There is no original cdr file. I draw in cdr than export as dxf and import back into cdr as dxf for editing when I need to edit.Thats when the trouble begins. Correct me if I,m doing this all wrong.
When I draw in CD, export as dxf and go directly into SC there is no problem.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok can you export it in SVG format??? I know if I save an inkscape drawing in DXF and then bring it back for editing it is all messed up. What I do is save the drawing in both DXF and SVG, if I want to edit I bring back the SVG file into Inkscape. It was said the Inkscape was built for vector work and the DXF is not its native format. This may be why you are having a problem bringing back file in DXF, save the file in CDR and recall that for editing later. The size of the Hard Drives in the PC today that is not a problem.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that's exactly what I thought he was doing. Saving as cdr and then reopening later with CorelDraw. Same thing with Plasmacam, I normally save as .pcm file. However in the case of Plasmacam Design Edge, it gives no such problems if I export as dxf and then reopen (import) that same dxf. Also - he is using version 6 of Corel Draw, and not a newer version. Perhaps this was a problem with the earlier versions that has since been fixed with the newer version. I am using the 2020 version of CD and have not noticed any of these sorts if problems, although I don't use Sheetcam.

For problematic files that need to be relinked, I would recommend using LightBurn (cost is about $60). Lightburn will automatically link files before exporting as dxf, svg, etc. So I would say relink with LightBurn (either before or after reopening with CD) and I suspect this problem will go away.

David
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Ok thanks so much for all the reply. After much playing around I've discovered if I Convert to curves before exporting the problem disappears. I'll just have to remember to do that to any drawing that has holes or ovals.

Return to “Corel Draw Graphics Suite”