flat pattern always flipped

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

flat pattern always flipped

Post by AZ_guy »

This is actually in Inventor pro not fusion 360 but im thinking the solution may be the same. Whenever I create a flat pattern so i can export the file to sheetcam it flips and give me a reverse image. So everything I cut has the dross a cleanup on the wrong side, id prefer cleanup to be on the back even if it is minor.

Any ideas on how to change this setting?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: flat pattern always flipped

Post by robertspark »

how are you exporting the DXF from inventor?

when I do it, I make sure / convert the part to sheet metal.

I then ask for a flat pattern

https://youtu.be/5NV0rt2MTqU

I then click on the flat pattern and with the right mouse button I ask for an export to DXF.

I make sure that the flat pattern I have on screen is face up as shown on the screen and it should export correctly (never had it done any different)

make sure Z axis is pointing upwards and that will export correct
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

If all else fails, you can flip it in Sheetcam using the mirror funtion at the bottom of the display.
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I have seen that before and as robertspark says be sure the Z axis is pointing up. If not you need to flip your Z axis
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

when im exporting I usually to flat pattern then I go to the side bar and right click on the flat pattern and "save copy as". I then save the copy as a DXF and use that to save to a thumb drive since my plasma table computer isnt the one im using inventor pro on.

when i go to the flat pattern is there a way to change the orientation of the flat pattern? it just automatically orients a certain way, ive never tried changing the direction of the pattern.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

in sheet am

You can mirror x or y in the lower right hand corner, or you can use the < and > keys to rotate a part
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

In Fusion, when creating the flat pattern, always select a surface that will be a good surface when cut for the fixed or whatever they call it. It should then unfold with that surface being "up". I've done many and never had a problem, but maybe Inventor is slightly different. I typically then create a sketch and project all lines to the sketch, then can save that sketch as a DXF.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

Thor wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:15 am In Fusion, when creating the flat pattern, always select a surface that will be a good surface when cut for the fixed or whatever they call it. It should then unfold with that surface being "up". I've done many and never had a problem, but maybe Inventor is slightly different. I typically then create a sketch and project all lines to the sketch, then can save that sketch as a DXF.
Thanks, that makes sense. Ill try that

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”