Fusion360 to Mach3 dxf cutting issue

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Fusion360 to Mach3 dxf cutting issue

Post by srtstan »

I recently picked up a Burntables setup(Mach3 software and Hypertherm 45xp), I know these tables are frowned upon on here, but got the whole package and some ar500 steel for about the price of a new Hypertherm 45. I am not new to cnc plasma tables, about 6 years ago at a previous employer myself and another engineer built a table using components from CNC Router parts.

I designed some shooting targets in Fusion, programmed them in Fusion as well. They cut were out of 1/4" steel and ran just fine.

I recently have been trying to cut some signs out of 16ga, files that I got off this website. I imported them into Fusion and programmed them. When I go to cut them it is very choppy. It wants to cut each little facet in an arc as a separate line segment. It tends to hesitate in between each one of these tiny segments so the cut looks like crap and is severely warped. I have played around with smoothing and tolerances it helped somewhat but the cut still wasn't very smooth. It seems to be its posting too many line segments and not enough arcs( I's and J's), but I am not positive.

Is this common with fusion? Maybe I am missing something when I program it or need to change a setting in the post? Or am I better off to program these decorative signs with Sheetcam?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fusion360 to Mach3 dxf cutting issue

Post by adbuch »

I am familiar with Fusion 360. I am guessing that the dxf files you are importing may need some work. Please post the dxf file your are having problems with and I will take a look.
Thanks
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

I was originally trying the Welcome sign, but that was a lot of metal to waste when it wasnt cutting right so I switched over to trying to cut the pawprint bottle opener till I got this thickness material dialed in on this machine.
Attachments
bottleopeners_mermaid pawprint cheers.dxf
(287.3 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
welcome with scrolling.dxf
(197.5 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Stan,
I have checked out the files you provided and they all import/generate cut paths in Fusion 360 just fine. I have opened them in Design Edge and they would all cut just fine. My guess it your problem is with the post processor, Mach3 settings, or some mechanical issues with your table. Do you have another means to generate cut paths besides Fusion 360? If so, I would recommend trying that so you can possibly eliminate (or not) Fusion 360 as the source of you problems.
David
welcome in Design Edge - OK.jpg
Welcome in Fusion 360 - OK.jpg
Paw in Fusion 360 - OK.jpg
mermaid in Fusion 360 - OK.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

srtstan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:41 am I recently picked up a Burntables setup(Mach3 software and Hypertherm 45xp),
Is you Burntable the vertical one or does it lay horizontally like most plasma tables?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

srtstan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:41 am Is this common with fusion? Maybe I am missing something when I program it or need to change a setting in the post? Or am I better off to program these decorative signs with Sheetcam?
I don't think this problem is common to Fusion 360. There are many, many users creating cut paths with Fusion 360 for their plasma tables. You have mentioned Sheetcam. That would be a good idea to use Sheetcam to create cut paths for some of the same parts that are giving you the problems when you use Fusion 360, and cut some of these parts to compare. Please let us know what you find out.

You could also compare the Fusion 360 G-Code to the Sheetcam G-Code (for a given part like the Paw) to see if there are any glaring differences in the code.
Thanks,
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

It is the horizontal table. I opened up Sheetcam yesterday and started to program the part, once I get that finished I will cut it and see what happends.

The post I am using for Fusion360 is the Mach Plasma post you can download off the Fusion360 website.

Thanks for all the help. I will report back with results, hopefully this evening.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the update! Please keep us informed.
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

I was able to bring some of the files into Sheetcam and program them. They cut just fine, I will upload some pictures later.

I noticed when I imported the files into Sheetcam is said there were over lapping lines in the DXF. My guess would be that Fusion is picking those up and that was causing my cutting issue. I plan to spend some more time in Fusion360 trying to clean up the DXF files and trying some different cutting settings. It is nice be able to design and program on my laptop, instead of being tied to the desktop my machine runs off of.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

srtstan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 am I was able to bring some of the files into Sheetcam and program them. They cut just fine, I will upload some pictures later.

I noticed when I imported the files into Sheetcam is said there were over lapping lines in the DXF. My guess would be that Fusion is picking those up and that was causing my cutting issue. I plan to spend some more time in Fusion360 trying to clean up the DXF files and trying some different cutting settings. It is nice be able to design and program on my laptop, instead of being tied to the desktop my machine runs off of.
Since the files you provided I was able to import into Fusion 360 and generate clean cut paths, I doubt that "overlaps" were/are your problem. I opened your files with Design Edge and they were clean. Any overlaps of the drawing would show up in Fusion 360, Inkscape, Design Edge, etc.
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

Since the files you provided I was able to import into Fusion 360 and generate clean cut paths, I doubt that "overlaps" were/are your problem. I opened your files with Design Edge and they were clean. Any overlaps of the drawing would show up in Fusion 360, Inkscape, Design Edge, etc.
David
I thought maybe the post processor but it is the one I downloaded from the Fusion360 website for Mach3 plasma so I doubt that is the problem. Could be my programming, after using 6 different CAD software packages they all start to run together.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you have a particular file that is giving problems, upload it and we can check it out. Are we sure that you don't have any mechanical issues with your new table?
Thanks,
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

I programmed this with sheetcam it cut very well.

I will play with programming this file in fusion and see if I can get the same results.
Attachments
1C6FDFAE-23AB-4591-8303-3E0C60DA1C85.jpeg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

From your photo, it looks great. Did you get any of the "choppy" motion you were previously having trouble with while cutting?
David
srtstan
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by srtstan »

No the cut was very smooth. I cut several different files and they all worked great.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

So it sounds like your problem was with Fusion 360. I doubt it is the post processor, but maybe some of your settings in Fusion 360 when you created your cut paths. In any case, Sheetcam is working for you - so that will get you up and running for now.
David
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

srtstan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 am No the cut was very smooth. I cut several different files and they all worked great.
Did you ever figure out your issue with fusion 360?! or did you just make the switch to sheetcam
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DIYPlasmatable wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 pm
srtstan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 am No the cut was very smooth. I cut several different files and they all worked great.
Did you ever figure out your issue with fusion 360?! or did you just make the switch to sheetcam
If you are having problems with Fusion 360, post your file (or PM) and I will have a look and try to help you.
David

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”