Brain picking

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Brain picking

Post by cstroke »

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32813
Saw this topic(pizza oven) in another thread and it got me wondering..
I can draw this in 2d without much trouble but my question is this.
I have spent quite a bit of time with 2d stuff and messed with 360 a little bit.
How long would it take someone to model this in 3d either 360 or solidworks?
2nd part of the question is how long would it take for someone to become proficient enough on the 3d programs to draw this..
Obviously there is no perfect answer to this but I'm interested in your thoughts.
Thanks
Chris
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Brain picking

Post by plasmanewbie »

Hey Chris, I ended up having to learn Fusion 360 on my own to create 3D models for a cnc mill that I picked up. I was unsure if this was something I would be successful at as I have no previous experience or training in CAD design let alone 3D modeling. I would be considered highly uneducated by society but I am and a smart guy, there is a difference. So I got setup on 360 and did a few of the tutorials and was blown away with how quickly I got onto it. To learn enough to create that pizza oven would not be difficult, there are so many helpful videos, as soon as your stumped just search for a video and you will overcome all of your obstacles. Go after it, worst case scenario you walk away learning something.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Chris - Arnold Rowntree has an excellent 16 part series of short Youtube video which I highly recommend. Each lesson can be completed in under 10 minutes and I think this is the best series I have seen. I personally worked thru his lessons last year and they were great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSRKJgTSS4c
learn fusion.jpg
Although I also own and use Solid Works, I find Fusion 360 much easier to use - due to the simplified user interface. My personal opinion is that a "pro" could draw up and model that pizza oven in less than an hour, where-as someone such as myself may take much longer. I assume you want to model each part separately, and then create a solid model assembly - as opposed to modeling this oven as if it were created from a single block of material. Most of the stuff I do with Fusion 360 is creating solid models for 3D printing of prototype parts, and not so much creating an assembly of parts. But once you have modeled each piece separately, it will be fairly simple to create an assembly.

Since you are already proficient and creating 2D drawings, your learning curve should be much shorter than someone just starting out with no 2D experience.

David
cstroke

Post by cstroke »

Yes I've messed with it a little bit and I found Arnold Rountree's videos, he's an incredible instructor.
I would do a video each night and model the part several times, unfortunately I got busy and sidetracked and didnt get back into it.
I didnt finish the series I had a few more to go. I'll have to break down and dedicate an hour a night and get back into it.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Back when I went thru Arnold's tutorials, I did them all in order in probably 3 evenings using his sample drawings and referring back to each video. After that, I found some more practice drawings - some of which were a little bit more challenging - and managed to complete all of them as well. I sometimes referred back to one of his videos if I got stuck. Here is the link to my small collection of "practice" drawings - which I found online.
David

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
mixing manifold.jpg

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”