Needing help with truck file in Fusion

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Desert Toad
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Needing help with truck file in Fusion

Post by Desert Toad »

I'm trying to make a profile of my old 1951 International Pickup. I started with a sketch from the original patent, then traced that in Illustrator and imported as a dxf into Fusion. But I am not able to break any of the lines. For instance, I'd like to add pieces to attach the wheels to the fenders so I end up with one solid piece. I'd also like to have more of an outline around the windows and door panels so the parts can be seen but don't drop out. I seem to know enough about Fusion to get myself frustrated. Hope this makes some sense, any help would sure be appreciated.

Thank you
Truck.dxf
(64.94 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Needing help with truck file in Fusion

Post by adbuch »

Desert Toad wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:42 pm But I am not able to break any of the lines.
You will need to use the "Edit Sketch" function in order to edit or add features to your existing sketch.
F360 Edit Sketch.jpg
Once you have entered the "edit sketch" mode, you can draw new lines, trim lines, etc.
F360 Edit Sketch 1.jpg
F360 Edit Sketch 2.jpg
You can use the Offset tool to offset selected shapes.
F360 Edit Sketch 3.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The first thing you need to do is to create a plan as to how you are going to modify your truck drawing for plasma cutting. You could do this with pencil and paper. Print out a copy of what you have so far and then mark it up to decide what parts you want to modify, etc. for the best outcome when cut. I would first modify the drawing so that the entire outer perimeter is connected.
truck 1.jpg
Then work on your plan to connect the wheels to the main truck.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maybe something like this to connect the wheels. I'm no artist, but you get the idea.
truck 3.jpg
truck 4.jpg
And lastly work on the area around the door/window. You need to figure out which areas you actually want to cut out, but then leave enough connecting material so that the piece has some strength and doesn't fall apart. Show us your progress and let us know if you get stuck on a particular detail so we can try to help you.

David
truck 5.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is another one you may like.
David
international truck svg image.jpg
international truck vector file.svg
(300.91 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

David knows whats up and is giving you some good advice in Fusion however if you got that far in Illustrator I am wondering if you may be best to finish the drawing in Illustrator and then bring it to Fusion which I am assuming you are using to create your toolpath and gcode.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:25 am David knows whats up and is giving you some good advice in Fusion however if you got that far in Illustrator I am wondering if you may be best to finish the drawing in Illustrator and then bring it to Fusion which I am assuming you are using to create your toolpath and gcode.
That was my initial thought as well. But perhaps he only used Adobe Illustrator for the auto trace, and is not that familiar with the program. That is the way I am with Inkscape - I use it all the time for auto trace or file conversion, but am not all that comfortable with using it for editing files. Design Edge is my "Go - To" for that.
David

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”