Is there anything simpler out there?

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
alphacharlie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Is there anything simpler out there?

Post by alphacharlie »

Frustrated with autodesk, Been using for about a year now, but I feel for Plasma cutting, it is way too advanced, I'm not designing a rocket engine. Plus as a downside if I pull in a dxf off the web that's a bit complex it will lock the system up, and its costing me $50 a month which I feel is plenty high. So, what else are my options for programs to build DXF files with?
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Is there anything simpler out there?

Post by ROKCRLER »

Ive been using SolidEdge for a little bit and now love it.
It's free too.
Im using the community edition.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
alphacharlie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by alphacharlie »

Rokcrler wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:52 pm Ive been using SolidEdge for a little bit and now love it.
It's free too.
Thanks, I will check it out.
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Are you designing artsy stuff or mechanical parts?
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Rokcrler wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:52 pm Ive been using SolidEdge for a little bit and now love it.
It's free too.
Yep, Solid Edge also offers free training videos free with a discount code.
I have seen this course listed as much as $900 across their site
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

what "autodesk" product are you using?

I presume its fusion 360??? fusion 360 (like solid works and solid edge is a 3d design package.

it is good if you are doing sheet metal designs and need material to be folded or rather unfolded to cut the metal profile out and then bent to shape.

however if you just want a 2d design software then autocad is the design package you want as its 2d (essentially). But its way over priced now as there are many lower cost or free alteratives available that use the same "simple" keyboard shortcuts or click-click drawing.
such as
https://librecad.org/
https://qcad.org/en/n

have a look at the basics here + grab a coffee and watch a few others to see if it meets with what you need from a basic 2d drafting package.
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

robertspark wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:38 am what "autodesk" product are you using?

I presume its fusion 360??? fusion 360 (like solid works and solid edge is a 3d design package.

it is good if you are doing sheet metal designs and need material to be folded or rather unfolded to cut the metal profile out and then bent to shape.

however if you just want a 2d design software then autocad is the design package you want as its 2d (essentially). But its way over priced now as there are many lower cost or free alteratives available that use the same "simple" keyboard shortcuts or click-click drawing.
such as
https://librecad.org/
https://qcad.org/en/n

have a look at the basics here + grab a coffee and watch a few others to see if it meets with what you need from a basic 2d drafting package.
Good catch Robert... I ASSumed since he mentioned autodesk, he as using 3d.
I love QCad for 2d... but been forcing myself to use SE even for 2d, but some things are still quicker for me in QCad.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

alphacharlie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:31 pm Frustrated with autodesk, Been using for about a year now, but I feel for Plasma cutting, it is way too advanced, I'm not designing a rocket engine. Plus as a downside if I pull in a dxf off the web that's a bit complex it will lock the system up, and its costing me $50 a month which I feel is plenty high. So, what else are my options for programs to build DXF files with?
I use the free version of Fusion 360 and it is pretty easy to use and works well for simple parts - particularly if you draw then in Fusion 360, then extrude and create the tool paths. I know that many of the Langmuir crossfire and crossfire pro users use Fusion 360 and it works very well for them. The Langmuir site has some excellent Fusion 360 Youtube instructional videos. Some of the others use the Inkscape/SheetCam combination with excellent results.

As you say, importing larger more complex files into Fusion 360 can cause problems with either being really slow or locking up. If these sorts of files are fully linked before import to Fusion 360, this will usually solve this problem. LightBurn is excellent for linking dxf files. LightBurn cost is $60 one time payment. Fusion 360 is free for students or hobbyists, so I would ditch that paid version and go with the free one.

I personally use a combination of Design Edge, Inkscape, and sometimes LightBurn for editing vector files. I also use Paint.net for editing of jpeg or bitmap files before auto tracing and it can come in pretty handy at times. I think the main thing it to find a program that suites your particular needs and stick with it.

David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I use Autocad for designing but I used it at work for 20 years so I am used to every command and know how to get it to do what I want/need.
Autocad 2004 came loaded on my PC with the table I had built. I have since upgraded to 2010. These older versions are no longer supported by Autodesk and can be found for reasonable prices. That being said, I don't think AutoCad is the ultimate for plasma designing.
A free version Draftsight is available.
If I was starting out new I think I would learn Inkscape, Qcad, Corel Draw.
If cost is not an issue I hear good things about PlasmaCam Advanced Design Edge, but have never used it.
Whatever you decide, you need to commit and stick to learning the program and making it work for you.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I still use AutoCAD 14, and have been using it for over 20 years now. Even though they have newer versions, I tried some of them and really didn't like them. I use AutoCAD for mechanical drawings, engineering drawings, architectural drawings and layouts, 2D parts for import to MasterCAM for revolving/extruding to create 3D models to create tool paths, and several other uses. I also have the latest version of Bricscad (single seat license) and have used it a bit, but AutoCAD 14 is still my "go-to" for the previously mentioned tasks.

For cnc plasma work Design Edge is my "go-to" program. It came with my Plasmacam table, so I have been using it for over 5 years now and feel pretty comfortable using it. Design Edge can be purchased as a stand alone package including Advanced Design for about $3k. Knowing what I know now, I would still most likely purchase Design Edge even if I wasn't using the Plasmacam table - as I feel it is well worth the cost considering all its other capabilities aside from running the table.

I know of at least one member who uses VCarve Pro for both design, creating tool paths, and generating the g-code to run his table. Although it is mainly used for cnc wood routing - at around $700 it might be worth having a look at. I use VCarve/Aspire for cnc wood routing mostly, but have used it for some editing as well. It is very capable at importing and vectorizing bitmap/jpeg type files, as well as basic design and drawing.

I am currently evaluating the trial version of Corel Draw - latest version. I can see how it might be handy for manual tracing of images, but from what I have discovered so far - its vectorizing ability is on par with Inkscape and Design Edge, but not up to the level of ProtoMax or VinlyMaster. At this point I don't think I would pay the $500 for a perpetual license. Maybe $200 or so and I would buy it, but the full price would be too much for me to justify at this point considering the other software I have at my disposal.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I find Corel Draw to be fairly simple, I have tried Inkscape and do not find it as easy to use although they both will accomplish the same end result if you know what your doing.
alphacharlie
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by alphacharlie »

DieselFumes wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 am Are you designing artsy stuff or mechanical parts?
Some of both
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

When I upgraded my plasma table to Linux, I also converted my design computer to Linux. Once in a while when I design artsy type stuff in CorelDraw, I boot up in Windows 7, but otherwise all my designing etc. is done in Linux. One program I've been playing with for a couple of months is FreeCad. It is free, and is mostly a 3D program, but it has many different modules to do many different things. I've gotten to where I design stuff up in the 3D mode, move it around, check it out, then export it as a DXF and pull it into Sheetcam for processing. I got on to FreeCad when I was considering buying a 3D printer and wanted to explore the 3D drawing. I think I've talked myself out of the printer for now, but still enjoy the 3D modelling.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Steve: you have a higher level of patience than I do if you mastered FreeCAD. Its powerful but takes a different mind set than some other packages.
The latest version of Inkscape (1.2.2) has some nice features . Besides running in Windows and aLINUX it now does multiple pages .

I used CorelDraw for 20 years until I switched to LINUX for just about everything. Their current stuff its then new model where you rent by the month and hop[e you don't notice you are paying over $500/year . We do classes on Inkscape and SheetCAM and CommadnCNC and using learning the tools to use in Inkscape then moving the native SVG file direct to SheetCAM with all of the complex curves intact is really nice. Most important tool in Inkscape are the Construction Lines. You drag them and snap to whatever you want then you can offset precisely and duplicate to set snap points for the objects . Biggest difference with a Drawing tool like Inkscape or CorelDraw is they work in "objects" (shapes ) that make it fast to build complex drawings. Honestly we use it for CAD too and do parts we run on the HAAS VMC . We don't do 3D type milling so its a good tool for that. We use SheetCAM for plasma , router and the HAAS. I just wrote special POSTs foir both SheetCAM and VCarve/Aspire for CommandcCNC for a semi auto toolchange. It Automatically senses the tool change, moves the Z to a preset position and lets you swap bits (a lot easier on a spindle that uses ER collets) then goes over to a tool setter and resets the Z zero (tool offset) for the new tool and makes the next cut. We offer a low cost tool setter module .

We introduced the Intelligent Spindle Spindle Speed (ISS-05) that can use the RS485 port on specific types of VFD's to snese the torque and automatically adjust the feedrates to prevent spindle stalls . Makes being able to walk away from a complex router job without coming back to a ruined piece a lot easier.

Once you learn a few tricks in Inkscape and how to use the SNAPS and Constuction lInes and how to blend PATHS it makes doing either decorative plasma or 2D type milling easy . And you don;t have to deal with DXF ! Having over a dozen file types you can import (including bitmaps for tracing) or illustration) and a wide variety of export formats it offers a tool that can become the center of your production. More and more programs are supporting SVG too. The fact Inksapce is totally free and runs on three platforms is just a bonus.

I find I can draw in Inkscape and move to Vcarve for routing in SVG or in EPS and always in PDF. While VCarve has drawign tools I find it easier to draw in another pure drawing program and move it over and do the toolpath and quasi 3D type cutting that Vcarve offers.

Building a new Super Router 5 X 8 that will have a Spindle with pneumatic tool changer along with an 8 station tool holder. Don't ask me why because I don't build cabinets or big commercial things, but I do want to be able to handle carving out shapes on logs and thick boards .

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”