Pierce Control Automation

AutoCAD and Fusion 360 related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
mrjackg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Pierce Control Automation

Post by mrjackg »

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can please help me determine the correct Post Processor to be used in Fusion 360 to post process gcode for plasma cutting using Pierce control system.
http://www.piercecontrolautomation.com. ... 011_EN.pdf

I have tried a few different post's and cant get any of them to read correctly.

Any advice is much appreciated.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pierce Control Automation

Post by adbuch »

Are you using the FastCAM software provided by Pierce Control Automaton?
Pierce Control Automation FastCAM.jpg
If so, then you can save/export your drawing files from Fusion 360 as dxf for direct import to FastCAM to create you tool/cut paths. In that case there should be no need to do the CAM portion using Fusion 360.

All FastCAM systems can import DXF, DWG, DSTV (NC1), IGES and original NC Code CAD -> NC.

https://www.fastcam.com/pdf/FastCAM_Fea ... ckList.pdf

Otherwise I would recommend contacting the manufacturer tech support for your machine to find out what the required format is for g-code.

David
mrjackg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mrjackg »

Hi, no I’m not using fastcam. I did contact the manufacturer and they suggested to contact auto desk people. They did send me the gcode manual which is attached not sure if someone can help with a post processor?
EN PIERCE G-M codes 08_2016.pdf
(86.22 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

So if you're not using FastCam, what are you using?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mrjackg wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:38 am Hi, no I’m not using fastcam. I did contact the manufacturer and they suggested to contact auto desk people. They did send me the gcode manual which is attached not sure if someone can help with a post processor?

EN PIERCE G-M codes 08_2016.pdf
I just took a quick look at your gcode/mcode list and many of these are custom application, and not used in the standard way. You would most likely need to write a custom post processor to accommodate your machine requirements.

Is this machine new to you? Have you been able to cut any shapes as of yet? If so, how have you been programming it?

David
custom m codes.jpg
mrjackg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mrjackg »

Hello,

I am new to the company that has this machine and they haven't been using as of yet. I want to use Fusion 360 as the software to create the gcode files. Yes I understand that may need a custom post processor and I am wondering if anyone can help in achieving this? I have used fusion 360 for other machines and I find it to be great. The other option I am looking at is SheetCAM.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the list of supported post processors for Fusion 360.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... C-htm.html

Here is a list of supported post processors for Sheetcam.
https://tangenta-software.com/dg-nest-p ... -dialects/

I would recommend you contact Les Newell on the Sheetcam forum and ask if he can create a custom post processor for your application.
Post your question here:
https://forum.sheetcam.com/viewforum.php?f=2

There is also a Sheetcam category on this forum here:
viewforum.php?f=58

Les does monitor this forum and has been very helpful in the past about answering questions and post processor modifications.

David
mrjackg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mrjackg »

Thanks yes Les is helping me. I would really like to get it going on fusion 360 I’ve tried many of the existing posts with no luck. I may need to stick with sheet cam.
Thanks.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mrjackg wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:19 pm Thanks yes Les is helping me. I would really like to get it going on fusion 360 I’ve tried many of the existing posts with no luck. I may need to stick with sheet cam.
Thanks.
Just go ahead and do your drawings with Fusion 360, then export as dxf and process with SheetCAM. I don't see any real advantage to doing the post processing with Fusion 360 as far as creating a finished cnc cut project goes.

David
Fusion 360 save as dxf from sketch.jpg
mrjackg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mrjackg »

Yes I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. It would be good if could do whole thing with one product though.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mrjackg wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am Yes I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. It would be good if could do whole thing with one product though.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Most of those are non standard M codes (if you can say there are standards ) no telling what the G codes are though. You need both to do a POST / Its a fallacy that you have to have the CAD/CAM and Control all in one package or even combined CAD and CAM. Couple that with the fact Fusion 360 is OVER......over priced , over complex and over kill for doing 2D or 2.5D cutting or routing. If you have a company that is willing to spend the money "rent" for Fusion 360 that's great but you can do just as good a job with tools better designed for plasma cutting and that are a lot easier on the wallet. Don't get me wrong. Fusion 360 is a great package and i have used it to do 3D work and build files for 3D printing and complex assemblies. That being said I can't justify the cost for the limited amount of work I do in that area. You have to be online to use it .

Even a lot of combo programs that support different machines require you to do separate operations for drawing and CAM , its just in the same menu system instead of clicking another icon to load the CAM . You still have to pick the POST and run the processor and then load the g-code into the Control program.

There are instructions on how to write Post Processors for Fusion 360 . Not as powerful as the actual language you have with SheetCAM to write custom posts that can do just about anything. Buy a low cost license one time and you own it.

Then there is the old DXF issue. It's not an open format so AutoDesk does not tell anyone when they make changes and a lot of programs can't handle the later releases of DXF. There are better more concise ways to move files (especially vector 2D files) and get them into CAM.

For those of you using the hobby version of 360 for free and have a business or use it to make money you may be in for a rude awakening . The hobby version is a tactic to get you used to using it then getting you to sign up for that yearly ransom.

Return to “Fusion 360 & AutoCAD Forum”