Baffled - Duplicate Vectors

General software related questions should be posted here.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Baffled - Duplicate Vectors

Post by Jfile »

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. I'm attaching two files. One is the file that I downloaded from this site last year. It's a Halloween theme piece. At the time, I was new to cutting. I had just got my table and was getting used to the software but I was able to cut this piece and it actually looked pretty good.

I decided the other day to cut some more of them to get ready for a show. When I opened the file up, I realized that there were duplicate lines throughout the entire drawing. This is something I just didn't notice last year because I really didn't understand how to look at drawings and make sure they were clean and cut ready.

So, with my new knowledge (lol), I went in to the file and "cleaned" it up. I deleted all of the duplicate lines, smoothed out some zig-zag lines and a few other issues that I noticed. Oh, all of this was done in InkScape.

When I brought the file over into SheetCam to set up the cut operations, and then ran the post processor, it starts working on removing duplicate vectors and then eventually hangs up. I have to close SheetCam down to get out of it.

Desperate to cut some of these, I brought the original file back in to SheetCam and it does the same thing. I don't know how I ever got it to cut last year.

The file labeled R2 is the one that I cleaned up. To me, it looks good and I don't understand whey SheetCam can't process it. Thinking the program could have flaked out on me, I tried some other files and they load and process fine.

Could you guys look at these files and do a quick comparison to see if I was correct in trying to clean up the original and possibly why neither file will now process in SheetCam? I'm baffled and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jeff
Attachments
happy halloween cat and skull rotated.svg
(349.49 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
happy halloween cat and skull R2rotated.svg
(187.36 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Baffled - Duplicate Vectors

Post by ben de lappe »

By all appearances you did a nice job with the file, saved your work as a tool path thereby leaving double lines in your file. I always be sure to save the file separate without the tool path. Here's the file sans tool path.
Attachments
Happy Halloween_PS.png
Happy Halloween_PS.svg
(175.66 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Hi Ben,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you to thank you for your assistance. The new file worked much better although I did find a few other minor things to clean up. I'm not familiar with saving as a tool path. Apparently I have just been fortunate that my previous saves defaulted and were saved correctly. Could you tell me where it is that change the save so that it doesn't include the tool path? Is that something that is done in Inkscape or in SheetCam? Again, thank you so much for your help!

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

So you understand saving in inkscape can be saved in SVG (either plain or Inkscape's SVG) or DXF which are Tool Path files that can be used in SheetCam to generate a G-code. You can also save in other formats without the tool path, like JPEG just select the "save as" function.
inkscape 2.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “General Discussion”