TIPS FOR A COMPLETE NEWBIE

General software related questions should be posted here.
Grantbonk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

TIPS FOR A COMPLETE NEWBIE

Post by Grantbonk »

My husband is the one who paid for the subscription to this site. He recently just got a used plasma table and started making things. He got some files with the table from the guy he bought it from and then he has me saving things from here. He's been really busy right now with firepits and he said it would be helpful if I knew how to make the images and things so I could help on that end of it, but I know absolutely nothing.

Ive seen people talk about using inkscape. I watched him the other night try to show me while he made a logo for someone ad he used torchmate CAD. It was really confusing and over my head and I don't remember a thing. I had some open pages I was going to look at later dates to try and learn stuff but he accidentally closed it and deleted it all on me so I have no idea where to find them again. Any links or you tube videos or any suggestions of where to start looking to learn from scratch would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know how to take a black and white image from google or wherever and be able to make it into something we can use and cut but I need it explained like I'm dumb and know nothing cause I pretty much don't know anything when it comes to this yet and it feels very overwhelming to me
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: TIPS FOR A COMPLETE NEWBIE

Post by acourtjester »

I gave you some tips in your other post about being a newbie go to this section on Inkscape that are many tutorial post there with attached images.
viewforum.php?f=77
You can go back years to see how things are done for drawings to cut files you can use, you will learn and do well.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Grantbonk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Grantbonk »

thanks, i'll check it out
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Grantbonk wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:48 pm My husband is the one who paid for the subscription to this site. He recently just got a used plasma table and started making things. He got some files with the table from the guy he bought it from and then he has me saving things from here. He's been really busy right now with firepits and he said it would be helpful if I knew how to make the images and things so I could help on that end of it, but I know absolutely nothing.

Ive seen people talk about using inkscape. I watched him the other night try to show me while he made a logo for someone ad he used torchmate CAD. It was really confusing and over my head and I don't remember a thing. I had some open pages I was going to look at later dates to try and learn stuff but he accidentally closed it and deleted it all on me so I have no idea where to find them again. Any links or you tube videos or any suggestions of where to start looking to learn from scratch would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know how to take a black and white image from google or wherever and be able to make it into something we can use and cut but I need it explained like I'm dumb and know nothing cause I pretty much don't know anything when it comes to this yet and it feels very overwhelming to me
Until you get going with your Inkscape tutorials, you might also find some folks on this forum who would be willing to supply you with cut ready dxf files from the artwork you supply (for a nominal charge). You could also reach out to the professionals listed on the page below.
David
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you do not want to learn and just want your design traced or converted please contact one of our sponsors below who will be happy to deliver a professional conversion at a fair price.

DesignShop Ask for Dave
Designs by DeLap Ask for Ben
Robin Hill Machine Ask for Julie

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=27175
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

This forum has plenty of great tips for newbies viewforum.php?f=202
Grantbonk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Grantbonk »

thanks everyone. My husband seems to know and understand how to do it so he's been able to do everything requested so far, but would be nice to learn it for myself so I can help free up some of his time for building if I can make files myself. And i would just like to learn to be able to make things I see and like and would like to recreate. The problem is finding the time to learn with the kids around, haha. I've gotten a couple beginner inkscape tutorials watched so far
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Hats off to you and your husband looks like a team effort. To aid in you learning you can save the tutorials for viewing later or again as a refresher.
you can create a folder to save them in and then going to YouTube and selecting the video you want, click on the address and copy it. Than go to the folder and right in the folder to bring up a menu and select new then shortcut. This open another menu for you to paste the address and then name it for later use. :Yay
ink 11.jpg
ink22.JPG
ink33.JPG
ink33.JPG (62.29 KiB) Viewed 459 times
ink44.JPG
ink44.JPG (55.65 KiB) Viewed 459 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill