Advice requested - Transporting a plasma table safely?

General software related questions should be posted here.
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Advice requested - Transporting a plasma table safely?

Post by mikeysp »

Hi, I would grately appreciate some advice on how to transport a plasma table safely.

I have agreed to purchase a 4x8 Plasma table ProStar by Praxair.

I will head to pick it up tomorrow. It is a 11 hour drive each way. I searched the terms transport plasma table and drew a blank.

I will be driving my 95 Ram 2500 and a 24ft bumper pull equipment trailer with brakes.

I am mostly concerned about rain and damage from jolts.
Plasma Table.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Advice requested - Transporting a plasma table safely?

Post by adbuch »

I would tarp any of the exposed electronics or electrical. I don't think a little rain will damage any of the rest of the table. You could also block or otherwise restrain the carriage and gantry to prevent any movement while in transport. Plenty of stout tie downs and I think you will be in business. I assume this means that you have opted to buy vs. going the diy route?
David
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Mike,

Congrats on the purchase.

I'm not familiar with that system but get as much training from the owner as time allows, all software & machine driver disc's / dongles / key codes if used and make sure there is no problem transferring it over to you name. You might want a bill of sale as well for any unexpected inspections.

Like David says wrap the electronics. gently secure the gantry to one end of the table, secure any loose wiring and tie the table down by the legs so as not to put any undue strain on things. I would give any bare metal (rails ect) a shot of WD-40 in case you get any rain along the way. Check those straps and leg adjusters along the way.

Beware of those one armed bandit's that hang out under the shade of the canopy. Most have a picture of Joe that says "I did this on them" :Wow
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Thanks gents! I did indeed decide to buy as it is SUPER cheap.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mikeysp wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:33 am Thanks gents! I did indeed decide to buy as it is SUPER cheap.
:Like :Like :Like
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mike I hope all went well with the transport of the table to your location. After unloading and getting the table into its location insuring the table is level. I would give it a good cleaning and lubrication. With an inspection of the wiring and any switches that it has, next test motions. After that do a complete axis calibration , then run some test G-codes starting from the center of the table and watch for any surprise movements.
You are allowed happy dancing as now the fun can start with your CNC plasma experiences. :Like :Like :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

So I am curious! Did you get the table moved? We need PHOTOS!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Yes, I did pick it up. However, It was a lot of work to get ready, go get it, get it home, and offload. I had to weld a new yoke on my driveshaft. Borrowed a trailer with shorts that burned out my brake switch. Repair my brakes, etc...

Ended up buying a CNC mill also.
IMG-1049.jpg
IMG-1058.jpg
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Cool. I hope you put both of them to good use.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Oh yea. However, after 3 18 hour days, I am satisfied to have them home and in the shop. I have several big work projects that I need done by end of month, so they will sit for a couple weeks, with exception of clean/lube. I may start getting my 80 gallon compressor and some method of air drying together, at least on paper, so I can make initial cuts in August.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mikeysp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:19 am Oh yea. However, after 3 18 hour days, I am satisfied to have them home and in the shop. I have several big work projects that I need done by end of month, so they will sit for a couple weeks, with exception of clean/lube. I may start getting my 80 gallon compressor and some method of air drying together, at least on paper, so I can make initial cuts in August.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are many different type air drying systems posted here and on YouTube for you to consider. As an add on be sure to add a pressure gauge at the inlet to your plasma unit to insure enough air pressure is supplied to it.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:34 am There are many different type air drying systems posted here and on YouTube for you to consider. As an add on be sure to add a pressure gauge at the inlet to your plasma unit to insure enough air pressure is supplied to it.
I very much agree!
David
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Haha, I was reading other threads and clicking on links for drying systems when I noted someone had commented on this thread. I amin an extremely humid area (Nashville, TN, USA). I think I am going to do the following:

A. Compressor pump air line disconnected from 80 gallon tank and plumbed straight to
B. Serpantine type radiator (air entering top) going back and forth and exiting bottom to
C. Side port on 10 gallon wall mount expansion tank with drain valve on bottom and air flow out the top to
D. Large Partical Filter to
E. Large Oil Filter to
F. Large Desicant Filter to
G. Small particulateFilter to
H. 80 Gallon Tank to
I. Pex distribution system on walls to
J. Adjustable pressure valve with gauge at port near plasma table to
I. Plasma Table

The design follows ideas I have seen on generally successful air dryers.
The components were selected based on the pile of junk I have on hand.
Only additional requirements will be some fittings and if there is a super slow leak valve that will allow the filters to drain moisture overnight or an auto valve to drain periodically and moisture build up, or maybe I manually drain once a day.
I will also have a box fan to draw air through radiator to aid in condensing moisture.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Sounds like you have a good plan. I don't use any desiccant dryer in my setup - just a long run of 3/4" rigid copper tubing running from the main shop out to the machine shop where the cutting table resides. I do have a Speedaire refrigerated dryer close to the table that also serves my cnc machining centers. I have the copper tube sloped back towards the compressor tank and a drain valve just cracked open to allow continuous purging of any accumulated moisture in the tank.
David
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Cool. I like the simplicity of a slightly cracked valve. I was thinking the same idea, but I thought there was some sort of valve that was designed for the purpose. I am famous for over engineering solutions. :) Thanks David!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

"over engineering solutions" = less do overs later :Like :Like :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

mikeysp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:10 am Haha, I was reading other threads and clicking on links for drying systems when I noted someone had commented on this thread. I amin an extremely humid area (Nashville, TN, USA). I think I am going to do the following:

A. Compressor pump air line disconnected from 80 gallon tank and plumbed straight to
B. Serpantine type radiator (air entering top) going back and forth and exiting bottom to
C. Side port on 10 gallon wall mount expansion tank with drain valve on bottom and air flow out the top to
D. Large Partical Filter to
E. Large Oil Filter to
F. Large Desicant Filter to
G. Small particulateFilter to
H. 80 Gallon Tank to
I. Pex distribution system on walls to
J. Adjustable pressure valve with gauge at port near plasma table to
I. Plasma Table

The design follows ideas I have seen on generally successful air dryers.
The components were selected based on the pile of junk I have on hand.
Only additional requirements will be some fittings and if there is a super slow leak valve that will allow the filters to drain moisture overnight or an auto valve to drain periodically and moisture build up, or maybe I manually drain once a day.
I will also have a box fan to draw air through radiator to aid in condensing moisture.
I hope you will use 3" diameter air lines with all of those restrictions.

I am in Franklin, KY, about 45 minutes north of you. If you are using what you have, and you do not want to buy a good rotary screw air compressor with a total air system to dry the air, then just use your normal 80 gallon compressor, and buy the $399.00 Harbor Freight Tools refrigerated air drier. It will do the job. Just remember that the air drier stays ON 24/7. It is like any other refrigerator,. It only works when it is AT TEMPERATURE, so shutting it off between cutting sessions defeats the whole idea.

You don't need to plumb some elaborate drip system of pipes, and restrict the air line with a dozen filters. Just keep it simple!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

mikeysp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:56 am Cool. I like the simplicity of a slightly cracked valve. I was thinking the same idea, but I thought there was some sort of valve that was designed for the purpose. I am famous for over engineering solutions. :) Thanks David!
That only works for a little while. Water has calcium and other deposits in it. A slow dripping faucet will eventually seal itself if you don't open and close it. You are better off with a timed relief valve. I bought one from Amazon for my 80 gallon compressor. it has two dials on it. One sets the intervals between cycles, and the other determines how many seconds the valve will remain open. It is at the bottom of the compressor tank.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

mikeysp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:10 am Haha, I was reading other threads and clicking on links for drying systems when I noted someone had commented on this thread. I am in an extremely humid area (Nashville, TN, USA).
I'm in Decatur Al, so we share the same weather.. I'm currently only running an 80gal compressor with short run of 3/8" line feeding a Motorguard M60 filter right before the plasma. I've only had to change the cartridge out once so far in 2 years and have done the mirror test on my torch. I do have a refrigerated dryer to install.

Like Joe mentions, you have a bunch of restrictions in your list.
My shop is plumbed with 1/2" or 5/8" RapidAir lines but the lines to the other end of the shop will be PEX.
Look at your quick connects, they neck down considerably unless you get the high flow fittings, but even then those are restrictions.

On the PM85, keep it... it isn't eating anything... but if you do decide to sell it i can be there in about 60-90 mins :Yay
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

ROKCRLER wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:20 pm
mikeysp wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:10 am Haha, I was reading other threads and clicking on links for drying systems when I noted someone had commented on this thread. I am in an extremely humid area (Nashville, TN, USA).
I'm in Decatur Al, so we share the same weather.. I'm currently only running an 80gal compressor with short run of 3/8" line feeding a Motorguard M60 filter right before the plasma. I've only had to change the cartridge out once so far in 2 years and have done the mirror test on my torch. I do have a refrigerated dryer to install.

Like Joe mentions, you have a bunch of restrictions in your list.
My shop is plumbed with 1/2" or 5/8" RapidAir lines but the lines to the other end of the shop will be PEX.
Look at your quick connects, they neck down considerably unless you get the high flow fittings, but even then those are restrictions.

On the PM85, keep it... it isn't eating anything... but if you do decide to sell it i can be there in about 60-90 mins :Yay
Yeah... I had two PM85s and I sold both of them. i wish I had kept one, They cut so sweet!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Ok, my particulate filters weigh about 20lbs each and have 1" in/out and are about 14" long and 5" diameter, so they are pretty huge. However, maybe I will look at the refrigeration machine. I will definitely use high flow connectors around the shop along with ball valves, but I will likely direct plumb the plasma table and just have a shut off valve when not in use. I have the other items already, but I will relook it. Thanks for chiming in.
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

How goes the project Mike? Let's see some more pics
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Sorry. I have been working six days a week trying to get caught up and have not touched it yet beyond moving it closer to wall. I will indeed take some pics once I get up and running. Thanks for the note.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Yep! I agree. Gotta getter going.
David

Return to “General Discussion”