DXF not loading into VCarve Pro

General software related questions should be posted here.
CoachPayne
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

DXF not loading into VCarve Pro

Post by CoachPayne »

I am a High School Welding Teacher. I changed schools and went from Torchmate CAD to VCarve Pro. I am exporting from Torchmate CAD, as a DXF file, and then trying to import some of them into VCarve Pro. But when I import them into VCarve nothing shows up from the import. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when I export the file or when I'm importing the file. I have several thousand files in Torchmate and would Love to be able to export them all and keep for later but not sure what's going on. Thanks in advance.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DXF not loading into VCarve Pro

Post by acourtjester »

There are different file format for DXF and you may be in the place where you are using 2 different one and they don't mix.
Some software will give you different versions of the DXF format to save.
DXF formats.jpg
DXF formats.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
CoachPayne
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CoachPayne »

Yes it gives me a few different dxf file type options. Anyone have any idea of which one the VCarve Pro likes best? Also was looking for a contact number for customer service for the VCarve but no luck. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

CoachPayne wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:26 am Yes it gives me a few different dxf file type options. Anyone have any idea of which one the VCarve Pro likes best? Also was looking for a contact number for customer service for the VCarve but no luck. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.
Your best to use the oldest version of DXF when you are having issues like this. What is the oldest version TM Cad will export?
CoachPayne
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CoachPayne »

I'm running CAD 9, looks like CAD 5 is the oldest.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

CoachPayne wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 pm I'm running CAD 9, looks like CAD 5 is the oldest.
I am not familiar with CAD 9 or CAD 5, typically when you export as dxf you will see version names like R9, R10, R11, R13, R14, 2000, 2004, 2007.

R9 is typically the most universal version I have found that works with most other software packages. Typically it is the newer versions that have compatibility issues with other software.
CoachPayne
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CoachPayne »

I finally figure it out guys, Thanks for the help.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CoachPayne wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:25 am I finally figure it out guys, Thanks for the help.
CoachPayne - here are some tips for exporting from TMCad.
David
export 1.jpg
export 2.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

CoachPayne wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:25 am I finally figure it out guys, Thanks for the help.
Good stuff. If you could post back with what you figured out that would be helpful to someone in the future I am sure.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm pretty sure that all versions of TMCad work the same way as far as save/export of dxf files. I ran into the same problem as I suspect the OP did, and it took me a little bit of experimenting to figure it out. I don't use TMCad for tool path creation, but I think that is where these check boxes really come into play. So the dxf export could include both the drawing and the cut path, or some subset of these depending on what the end user requires. But yes - I agree it would be nice to hear form the OP as to what he exactly figured out.

David

Return to “General Discussion”