GRBL + THC???

General software related questions should be posted here.
onts
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: GRBL + THC???

Post by onts »

I'm very curius about ncPilot.
I've cloned Xkernel and ncPilot in a C:\Xmotion folder and compiled Xkernel.

When I double click "run_no_console.vbs" nothing happens.
I thought launching ncPilot may depend on a programmed arduino being present, so I tried but flash.sh exits with an error:

Administrator@Computer MSYS /c/Xmotion/NcPilot/extra
$ ./flash.sh COM18
./flash.sh: line 1: avrdude: command not found

What am I missing?
Nicolascarri
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Nicolascarri »

ernesto wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm It looks like the answer is going to be using a Proma THC-SD that switches into z control using some dpdt solid state relays triggered off of the "ok to move" signal. I'll post up a full build thread when I get it working.
I need help with proma sd connection diagram
Connect it to Arduino uno with shield 3.0
07859FA2-7734-41F9-A541-1F7F357F28CA.jpeg
F34F00A1-538A-4EBC-8B57-EDCD6F8E6FA6.jpeg
0CE849B1-141A-46BA-A94F-D5ABA9A5D2B7.jpeg
0CE849B1-141A-46BA-A94F-D5ABA9A5D2B7.jpeg
Attachments
4F49451D-2ABC-4A4B-8829-701B32ACCAA4.jpeg
zgulkhan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by zgulkhan »

New to this forum, and have a question also help... successful in installing and running ncPilot but font in GUI are too small not readable on small screen of my laptop(didn't check on large pc monitor) please if anyone have solution how can I change these to my requirement.. thanks in advance (Please don't mind my English).
zgulkhan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by zgulkhan »

Good day sir @UnfinishedBusiness, your work is more than appreciable please help to enlarge fonts in GUI of ncPilot, thanks in advance..
sethm603
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sethm603 »

I am new here today. I know this is an old thread, but anyone recently follow the directions on github/UnfinishedBusiness/ncPilot?
I have been at this for an entire day with no success. I have followed the directions repeatedly with no luck. I have also followed the directions from the Xkernel page, but still no luck. I can compile the Xkernel, but the ncPilot fails. cannot find -lfreeglut-. any info would be much appreciated.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Seth! I have done several projects using arduino/grbl - the last one was a cnc router/plasma cutter. But I have no information or experience with ncPilot. What specifically are you building, and what are you attempting to achieve?

David
sethm603
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sethm603 »

I am building a cnc plasma cutter. It is made from many 3d printed parts, electrical conduit, some linear rails and bearings. I am 75% done with testing first iteration. Testing has been done with a pen in the torch holder. I will need to modify my models at some point and re print many parts. I am looking to find a good off line gui to use with GRBL. Preferably one centered around plasma cutting, as this is the only purpose of this machine. I liked the ncPilot GUI due to its linked grbl version with built in THC. However I am open to alternative suggestions.
sethm603
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sethm603 »

Here are some pictures to better give you an idea of what I am up to.
Drawing after stepper settings tuned.
Drawing after stepper settings tuned.
Shot of Pen in the torch holder
Shot of Pen in the torch holder
Pen in torch holder.PNG (126.38 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Screen grab of the Assembly model.
Screen grab of the Assembly model.
model.PNG (80.12 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sethm603 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:03 am I am building a cnc plasma cutter. It is made from many 3d printed parts, electrical conduit, some linear rails and bearings. I am 75% done with testing first iteration. Testing has been done with a pen in the torch holder. I will need to modify my models at some point and re print many parts. I am looking to find a good off line gui to use with GRBL. Preferably one centered around plasma cutting, as this is the only purpose of this machine. I liked the ncPilot GUI due to its linked grbl version with built in THC. However I am open to alternative suggestions.
Nice work!! You are making great progress and I'm sure having lots of fun while you're at it. Here is the interface software I like to use with my GRBL cnc machine. I was using this mainly for cnc routing and engraving, and I don't think it has the built-in thc. But you can check it out - they may have an alternate version that does support thc.

David

https://cncphilosophy.com/candle-grbl-s ... -tutorial/
Candle grbl tutorial.jpg
sethm603
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sethm603 »

SO update. Travis from BadApple Machine & Fab, replied to some emails. ncPilot can no longer be built on windows machine as it currently exists. An update to Msys causes the build to fail. However it can still be done on Linux (Debian raspberry pi). I also have had an issue with the machine not moving once connected to ncPilot. I compiled Xmotion last night with VScode and platform IO. Now when connected to ncpilot, i get DRO changes but still no machine movements. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I should mention loading GRBL 1.1h onto the uno with cnc shield works as expected.
Thanks again.

Return to “General Discussion”