Exporting DXF From Illustrator into FASTCam

General software related questions should be posted here.
xyzmetalart
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Exporting DXF From Illustrator into FASTCam

Post by xyzmetalart »

I am having trouble converting traced images in Illustrator to DXF, so I can restore in FastCAM for plasma cutting. When I open my exported DXF into FastCAM, even after a CAD clean and compress, my nicely rounded arcs are jagged with multiple points along the arc. This only seems to happen when I use the pen tracing tool in Adobe Illustrator. I have cut plenty of perfect circles and shapes on our plasma table using Adobe's ellipse and shapes tools, but when I trace, my exports seem to be of low quality. Anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong? I have attached some photo's for visual aid. The first photo is what my image looks like in illustrator. The second is the export command to DXF. The third is restored DXF in FastCAM, and the fourth is a zoomed view of the jagged arcs. My guess is that I am not properly cleaning and compressing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
Step 4
Step 4
Zoomed in.PNG (3.83 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Step 3
Step 3
Step 2
Step 2
Step 1
Step 1
kshitijbhutani
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Exporting DXF From Illustrator into FASTCam

Post by kshitijbhutani »

Hi, i have got the same issue and i use Inkscape. Haven't used illustrator yet. The way that i have found is to take that inkscape dxf file and just import it in autocad and just save that file. Thats it. and then import that autocad dxf file into fastcam. the drawing will come out perfectly round. If you have found any other way please do tell me.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

With Inkscape have you tried to export in SVG format, I don't use FastCam so don't know if it can except SVG.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Haye
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Haye »

Any final solutions found for this? I'm having the same problem and its really noticeable in artwork and letters that the arcs are not really arcs! Working with illustrator, fusion360 and autocad. Having tried all kind of export/import settings today but have not found an solution yet. Also have been looking for postprocessors for the FLMC-F2300A controller, but without any luck.
Sonofajewfish
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Sonofajewfish »

Hi, I was having this trouble getting jagged edges from illustrator (CS5) saving to .dxf and then importing to Fastcam. I was generally encountering this with circles and sweeping curves appearing more linear rather than curved.

What worked for me was clicking on the path in question in Illustrator and going to Object/Path/Add Anchor Points. Do this 2+ times. This automatically adds more anchor points to the path and in my situation the curves end up translating like they should in Fastcam. I hope this helps!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Sonofajewfish wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:41 pm Hi, I was having this trouble getting jagged edges from illustrator (CS5) saving to .dxf and then importing to Fastcam. I was generally encountering this with circles and sweeping curves appearing more linear rather than curved.

What worked for me was clicking on the path in question in Illustrator and going to Object/Path/Add Anchor Points. Do this 2+ times. This automatically adds more anchor points to the path and in my situation the curves end up translating like they should in Fastcam. I hope this helps!
:Like :Like :Like
Thanks for the tip!
David

Return to “General Discussion”