Split DXF Art forum up?

General software related questions should be posted here.
lancepr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Split DXF Art forum up?

Post by lancepr »

It is very hard to find things.
I think it should be split into two forums
one for Art
one for other projects, some cool stuff but it is hard to search with all the art files
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Split DXF Art forum up?

Post by robertspark »

c'est la vie!

welcome to the forum

glad you could take the time to introduce yourself

glad you could maybe become a contributing member, and maybe take a little time to give back to the forum, and other users.

is there anything else you may be a good idea as you're just passing through and stripping the forum?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

robertspark wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:21 am c'est la vie!

welcome to the forum

glad you could take the time to introduce yourself

glad you could maybe become a contributing member, and maybe take a little time to give back to the forum, and other users.

is there anything else you may be a good idea as you're just passing through and stripping the forum?
Well said :Like
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Well said x2!

This shit is outta control! I vote the name of this entire forum be changed to "The Easy Button"

You too can be a CNC plasma tycoon with little or no effort just by simply logging onto Plasma Spider! In a few clicks, you can turn somebody else's sweat into $$$.....how you might ask? EASY! Follow these steps...

1) Be bold and simply ask for somebody to convert a shitty pic for you. Example: "need this pic converted"....say no more, our kind hearted members are standing by waiting for your project.

No introduction needed!

If somebody gives you static about no introduction or a very short post requesting file conversion, simply explain that it is "For a Church" or "my boss told me to make one of these" and your file will be converted ASAP with no further guff.

2) If you cannot find what you are looking for....no problem! Simply place your suggestion in your brief post and our 24 hour staff will help make it easier to rape and pillage this forum for that "just right" file and best of all ITS FREE.

Here at Plasma Spider we understand that you have made the investment in a machine that you can't run, so why make your life harder with silly learning curves associated with actually drawing product.

We believe that WE OWE IT TO YOU.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

:Like ok Ironken that was better than mine :HaHa
look guys I've heard about this really good piece of software that I just give it an image and it'll create me a fully cutable DXF in no time at all, then all you the do is just load the DXF into the machine press start and out pops the cut parts. if the parts don't pop out just right pop back to that same software company and have a moan that the software has a bug and I need another one doing please. my mate said the software was spiderplasma or spider something! can one of you guys give me a link because I hear they got a whole load of examples that comes with the software upload to your machine and press run. if your machine don't cut right it must be the file that's been done wrong, I mean the machine came flat pack or really cheap 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand without discs from a surplus auction, is all plug and play and the guy said it's been working fine for years
:Yay
if the manufacturer don't help you with your bought really cheap plug and play ~20year old machine, sold on 2-3 times, that no one can find the discs for, get on the plasma spider site , someone will sort you out and get you up and running
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

The big question is............are many of the members here going to keep on doing the very thing that is causing it, i.e. giving so many freeloaders exactly what they want. When lazy freeloaders are helped out, more lazy freeloaders come here, and the decent guys leave.

I've always felt mostly alone with the aggressive things I've said about this matter over the years. Been attacked for it plenty times so I'm happy to see others like IronKen speaking out. Guess I'm resentful that there used to be so many highly knowledgeable guys here, but many of them got sick of the BS and left:

"Contributing" member (pay $20 so you can download files that other members have supplied for FREE. The file creators get zippo.)
"Elite" status (all I can say is it doesn't take much to become elite, but it probably gives a warm fuzzy feeling)
"Helping" with conversions when it's clear the one being "helped" is not seeking any how-to knowledge to help themselves.
The free DXFs seeming to be the main attraction of the site now, as opposed to an excellent source of knowledge and learning.

And I'm sick to death of hearing this crap:

"If you don't want to help then say nothing".

Those members forget this is a public forum and it doesn't belong to them. What they consider help, others consider degradation of the forum long term, and it being turned into a freeloaders site, with the above mentioned 24 hr free conversion service.

The forum will become what members make it.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Can't help but think I'm a main "contributor" to the ills you all describe. I enjoy drawing pretty much anything in cad. (Except parts :HaHa ) As such it's what I do 24/7. I want nothing more than to help someone, possibly show them something that helped me along the way or even help 'em out of a jam. Many are grateful. Some I never get "thanks" or "how'd you do that?"

Unlike so many that expect something for nothing I have put in my time just like you talented individuals. Life's hard and there is no easy button, one's life can be upended and shattered in an instant leaving them no way to showcase nor capitalize on their skills. So to me no matter how much my "Artsy" type files clog up the inventory of good parts available for download on the site :Yay it has long been a valuable asset to me simply for the fact many see the work I do from images and come directly to me for file work as a result. In no way am I intentionally contributing to the feeding frenzy we all see. File work/conversions being the ONLY aspect of my life where I'm wealthy makes it easier for me to give in the only manner I can. Which I do enjoy.

In ending I'm with all of you. I'd love to see an end to the freeload attitude so prevalent however have zero recommendations on how to achieve such. I welcome your suggestions as I have a tremendous amount of respect for all you guys.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Ben I've not had a go at you at all

the OP was taking the piss with that request.

I am happy to help and explain, but I kind of expect that hopefully someone will learn and do it for themselves... no excuse for not using the search button
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

ben de lappe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:32 pm Can't help but think I'm a main "contributor" to the ills you all describe. I enjoy drawing pretty much anything in cad. (Except parts :HaHa ) As such it's what I do 24/7. I want nothing more than to help someone, possibly show them something that helped me along the way or even help 'em out of a jam. Many are grateful. Some I never get "thanks" or "how'd you do that?"

Unlike so many that expect something for nothing I have put in my time just like you talented individuals. Life's hard and there is no easy button, one's life can be upended and shattered in an instant leaving them no way to showcase nor capitalize on their skills. So to me no matter how much my "Artsy" type files clog up the inventory of good parts available for download on the site :Yay it has long been a valuable asset to me simply for the fact many see the work I do from images and come directly to me for file work as a result. In no way am I intentionally contributing to the feeding frenzy we all see. File work/conversions being the ONLY aspect of my life where I'm wealthy makes it easier for me to give in the only manner I can. Which I do enjoy.

In ending I'm with all of you. I'd love to see an end to the freeload attitude so prevalent however have zero recommendations on how to achieve such. I welcome your suggestions as I have a tremendous amount of respect for all you guys.
Dammit Ben, stop enabling the freeloader and the lazy with your incredible skills!

Just kidding. I totally get that this is a way that you can give and exercise your abnormally large brain. I support what you do and understand why.....this shit is like a "chew toy" for your brain. This makes you the good guy here. Those who take advantage of your willingness to give.....well, that makes them the bad guys.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

robertspark wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:06 pm Ben I've not had a go at you at all

the OP was taking the piss with that request.

I am happy to help and explain, but I kind of expect that hopefully someone will learn and do it for themselves... no excuse for not using the search button
And I absolutely did not take it that way. Kinda glad you're not giving me a go Robert, what I've seen you could dress me down quicker/better than a Drill Instructor. :Yay I'm not having a go with any of you, way I see it we're on the same side here as I wholeheartedly agree with each and every point. Sorry if you took me that way. Matter of fact put me on the top of the pile commending you guys for calling em as you see em. Regardless my activity feeds the want it now crowd and I like it no more than any of you.
Ironken wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:19 pm Dammit Ben, stop enabling the freeloader and the lazy with your incredible skills!

Just kidding. I totally get that this is a way that you can give and exercise your abnormally large brain. I support what you do and understand why.....this shit is like a "chew toy" for your brain. This makes you the good guy here. Those who take advantage of your willingness to give.....well, that makes them the bad guys.
Always love your analogies. If not for this chew toy to occupy my mind no telling the level of depravity I'd reach. :HaHa Thanks for understanding, knew you all did I just wanted to give my perspective as I'd like to see an end to it as well. What does one do when the attitude is so prevalent in today's society? Oh, one more thing. Please hold off on the "large brain" type comments shall we? Clients of mine see this they'll certainly have questions... :HaHa
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Ben,

if one person needs to be paid for conversions, it's you. That's your livelihood. I know many of the people asking for conversions are making money from it. I honestly find some of them so thick skinned to ask someone else to "help" as they call it, and not offering to pay, when they will be making profit. Even if it's for their church or whatever, if it means that much to them then offer to pay for it. Sounds very noble someone wanting to give to this or that but not when they want someone else to supply for free.

I ran my little excavation business for 17 years and the one thing it taught me is there's never a shortage of customers who would have you work for nothing so that they can gain at your expense.

If someone is not willing to pay you for your work then that says everything about them.

A coding forum I've spent quite a bit of time on very often has a request like this:

"Could someone please give me code for this.........................."

It's nearly always answered something like this:

"We are not an on call code providing service. Show us what you have already tried and we will be happy to show corrections and improvements. And if it's clear you do not understand certain programming, we will ask you to come back again after you have put some effort into learning that. Alternatively you can pay one of us to develop the code for you".

I suggest we all try and shove potential work your way, when someone just asks for a free conversion (without asking how). They've obviously invested a sizeable amount of cash in a cnc plasma table, plasma cutter, workshop, tooling, etc, so they should be willing to pay for your investment of time/effort to gain your skills.

If they don't want to pay, they obviously don't need or want it that much, and were just looking to take advantage.

So I say when someone just says gimmee gimmee, we just say "Contact Ben de Lappe, he does this for a living and has reasonable rates". That's what I call real help.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

You nailed the solution, Keith!

Maybe the file sharing forum is just that......you can post up your file and share it.......that's it......nothing more. Not a clean enough file or has errors......We have guys to fix that for ya and they take Paypal.

The help forum becomes just as your coding forum specifies......thats it.....nothing more than posting what you have done thus far. No file, no help. We all gotsta have some skin in the game if you want help. You want a pic conversion......no problem, we have guys for that and they accept Paypal.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Damn right I deserve to be paid. I expect nothing less nor demand anything more than fair compensation for my time. When I do a conversion in the help wanted section most of the time it's quick to me. Done before morning coffee is down, simple warm up for more pressing matters. Some of em can't say thanks, no matter the $$$ made on the deal. On the positive side (where I like to be) more than a few know how business works and are happy to enlist my services. A couple have gotten to know me. Well enough so to eventually sit by me in a recliner picking up anything they could drawing wise and even go out for Chinese after. :Yay So I'm down for weeding em out guys and think all your suggestions are reasonable....just looking for a corner on the board to set up shop.
Last edited by ben de lappe on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

ben de lappe wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 pm Damn right I deserve to be paid. I expect nothing less nor demand anything more than fair compensation for my time. When I do a conversion in the help wanted section most of the time it's quick to me. Done before morning coffee is down, simple warm up for more pressing matters. Some of em can't say thanks, no matter the $$$ made on the deal. On the positive side (where I like to be) more than a few know how business works and are happy to enlist my services. A couple have gotten to know me. Well enough so to eventually sit by me in a recliner picking up anything they could drawing wise and even go out for Chinese after. :Yay So I'm down for weeding em out gusy and think all your suggestions are reasonable....just looking for a corner on the board to set up shop.
I honestly think we should have a corner for file conversions only with the understanding that this area is for pay. If guys that do that sort of work CHOOSE to do a freebee then, so be it. I would recommend that $ be discussed thru PM. In fact, I think that the file conversion requests should ALL be directed to the conversion for pay area.

What do we as members need to do to get this off the ground?

In my eyes, it looks like this.....

-Shared Files (you get what you get.....they're free)
-File Help (you post up what you need HELP with)
-File Conversions (with a banner or heading that states This Is A Pay Area)

In God We Trust, all others must pay cash.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

In direct answer to how to get off the ground. Don't know. But I do know through multiple dealings with Admin. he's one of the most reasonable and accommodating individuals I've had the pleasure to work with. All I can advise is to discuss it with him. Care to head up the committee? :Yay
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

ben de lappe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:36 pm In direct answer to how to get off the ground. Don't know. But I do know through multiple dealings with Admin. he's one of the most reasonable and accommodating individuals I've had the pleasure to work with. All I can advise is to discuss it with him. Care to head up the committee? :Yay
Done! I sent a PM to admin asking for them to look at this thread and for their thoughts on what is being said here.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

All I can say is if Admin is not interested, it's a lost cause:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=28889

I tried to teach someone how to fish, someone comes along and just gives the fish. What's more it's for a business that is making money from it.

I give up.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

beefy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm All I can say is if Admin is not interested, it's a lost cause:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=28889

I tried to teach someone how to fish, someone comes along and just gives the fish. What's more it's for a business that is making money from it.

I give up.
Aaaaaand the member that just gave the fish away killed it. Your questions were valid and I picked up where you were going with your point.

By the way, you mentioned in the post you linked that your program has auto trace.....I use Inkscrap with success but, I am looking at Draftsight's (my CAD program of choice) paid subscription. One of the options ($199/yr) has a tracing operation built in. Are you using something similar to this?
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Hi Ironken,

I use Coreldraw 2019 which is more like Inkscape (arty vector drawing), or Adobe Illustrator. I even use Coreldraw for not too complicated mechanical drawing, but when the mechanical drawing gets more complicated I have a seat of a 3D solid modelling software called Alibre Design (a bit like Solidworks).

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

beefy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 am Hi Ironken,

I use Coreldraw 2019 which is more like Inkscape (arty vector drawing), or Adobe Illustrator. I even use Coreldraw for not too complicated mechanical drawing, but when the mechanical drawing gets more complicated I have a seat of a 3D solid modelling software called Alibre Design (a bit like Solidworks).

Keith
Thank you Keith for the info! I may look into Corel and watch some Lubetube vids on it before I take the leap or I guess I can just post up a pic and have somebody here convert it for me....lol. In reality the vast majority of what I do is just parts but, it bugs me if I cannot use my machine to the fullest. I paid for the damn thing, might as well use it up.... right? What is really kicking my ass is Fusion 360 and I am getting to the point where some of my fab customers are requesting 3d renderings of jobs with the bids I submit sooooo......looks like I have some Googlering to do.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

since you are being required to product a 3-D rendering with a bid I hope you get a labor payment up front for that service as bid do not always result in a purchase. Time is money
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

You are dead right jester. The pinch is that these jobs (one in particular) is worth about $3k labor only and comes with more work. Do I risk losing that kinda $ over a few hours of drawing or do I eat it in hopes of landing the job. My regular job lands me in a motel about 4x a week and that's where I draw.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Ironken, you might think about charging a setup fee and tell your client, that amount will be deducted from the job cost if they accept your bid.
That's only fair to you and a legitimate customer will not have a problem with it.
I do this with a large company I do work for and they are fine with it.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Old Iron wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:50 am Ironken, you might think about charging a setup fee and tell your client, that amount will be deducted from the job cost if they accept your bid.
That's only fair to you and a legitimate customer will not have a problem with it.

:Like :Like
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Old Iron wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:50 am Ironken, you might think about charging a setup fee and tell your client, that amount will be deducted from the job cost if they accept your bid.
Duh! Why didn't I think of that.....very good advice. Hell, auto shops do that all the time with diagnoses. Sometimes I even surprise myself at how dense I am.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt

Return to “General Discussion”