Sheetcam issues

General software related questions should be posted here.
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Sheetcam issues

Post by dannymcclure67 »

When I import a dxf file from inkscape into sheetcam,I run the post processor, the files never will run,could I have issues with sheetcam settings?it will not show g-code,frustrated with this table,any help would be appreciated, danny
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Sheetcam issues

Post by WyoGreen »

Tell us a little more about your equipment and we'll be able to help you. What table, what post processor, what control software, etc.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dannymcclure67 »

Sorry steve,its an eagle plasma table,with their software,I use inkscape to convert images,and sheetcam,hypertherm 1000 plasma cutter
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Some more info would help, what type of issues are you having. You say SheetCam will not show the G-code. It makes the G-code but can be displayed in Mach if you are using Mach or it also can be displayed with Notepad. I have seen where a G-code is generated but when loading in Mach it stops on some line of the G-code. I have seen this in art type G-codes with lots of path curves I found that the IJ needed to be change to Inc in the General Config file, then they loaded completely. There can be other reasons for problems but you need to give more info for help.
mach.JPG
mach.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 747 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dannymcclure67 »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:40 am Some more info would help, what type of issues are you having. You say SheetCam will not show the G-code. It makes the G-code but can be displayed in Mach if you are using Mach or it also can be displayed with Notepad. I have seen where a G-code is generated but when loading in Mach it stops on some line of the G-code. I have seen this in art type G-codes with lots of path curves I found that the IJ needed to be change to Inc in the General Config file, then they loaded completely. There can be other reasons for problems but you need to give more info for help.
mach.JPG
Sorry,I am using mach,I'm new to cnc plasma,so I'm still learning,I have some dxf files that were on the computer when I bought this setup,they work ok,its just an issue when I try to create my own artwork,I cant seem to get it converted correctly, I've watched youtube videos,followed them ,and still get,bad character errors,no code etc
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I am not sure I am following. Are these files you are creating in inkscape or were they already there. When I create files in inkscape I save as an .SVG and then fire up sheet cam and go from there.
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dannymcclure67 »

Yes,I save them in inkscape as an svg,then convert in sheetcam to dxf,could I be missing a step that would cause the g code to error?
TJS

Post by TJS »

Here is how I do it. I am on Linux/CommandCNC so YMMV. Create my "drawing" in inkscape and save it as an .SVG.
Then open Sheetcam and import the .SVG/New Part. Edit my contours as needed for inside and outside layer, tools etc. Then post process to an .NGC file. I don't play with .DXF's at all in sheetcam if coming from an SVG.( However when downloading a DXF and pulling it into sheetcam I have had issues with stray lines and messed up sizing. I again, bring it into inkscape first and then try and save it as .SVG still.) Close sheet cam and then Open Plasma for CommandCNC and find my NGC job I just post processed and cut from there.
Last edited by TJS on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dannymcclure67 »

This is one of the errors I keep getting,I bought these dxf ready to cut files,but when I load them to mach 3 I get this error
Attachments
15867942907806297608212519939732.jpg
15867942708667121524896861230213.jpg
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I bought these dxf ready to cut files,but when I load them to mach 3 I get this error
You don't load a dxf file into Mach 3. In SheetCam when you have all your paths and tools setup, select the "P" button to create a ".tap" file and save it somewhere.
In Mach 3 you load that .tap file.

If sheetcam won't process, you may need to reload or buy a license.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have seen when special characters in the file name have caused problems. Since you are starting out and are using Inkscape there a few things to remember, be sure both Inkscape and SheetCam are setup for inch or metric dimensions of your choice. when saving a DXF file be sure both boxes in the image attached are blank. There are different versions of DXF file format that different software use and this can get you a bad load into other software. Some softwares automatically attached the lead in or out in the files, something to watch for too. When loading into SheetCam with SVG be sure to used a scale of 1:1 for the correct size of the drawing.
ink.JPG
ink.JPG (35.59 KiB) Viewed 725 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
dannymcclure67
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dannymcclure67 »

Thank everyone for the help,I will check for these issues!

Return to “General Discussion”