Consumables?

General software related questions should be posted here.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Consumables?

Post by cstroke »

I dont know if I've ever seen this topic before.
How do you guys store your consumables so you know how far they are in their usable life?
45 amp fine cut, 45 amp shielded, 65 amp shielded, 85 amp shielded...
I used to mark how many pierces with a marker and keep them as a set.
I've been starting to quote consumables in on the work based on experience that the consumables should be at the end of their usable life after the cut.
Thoughts???
Thanks
Chris
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Consumables?

Post by adbuch »

I typically keep mine together as a set (cap, swirl ring, electrode, nozzle). I use FineCut consumables for material up to 11 ga. (I don't cut 10 ga.), and 85 Amp consumables for everything else. Both shielded with ohmic sensing caps. I just keep an eye on the electrode tip and nozzle orifice, and replace as necessary to maintain quality cutting. I'm not doing cnc plasma cutting for a living, my main thing is cnc machining - mainly the tooling and dies I offer for sale to the metal shaping community. When I used to do commercial work, I would figure the cost of the carbide inserts and cutters/endmills into the quote, particularly if custom tooling was required for the job.
David

https://www.desert-hybrids.com/id63.html
Business Card 1.jpg
Business Card 1.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 585 times
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

I don't get too picky at all. I keep used nozzles and electrodes that have life left in them and will pull them out for jobs that don't really matter about optimum cut quality. I don;t bother to store them as sets, I just have a spot for used nozzles and used electrodes. If the hole in the nozzle is out of round or too large it gets thrown out, if the electrode divet is around 1/16" deep it gets thrown out.
East German
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by East German »

I keep a close eye on wear and tear. I enter in an Excel list when the wear parts are used. I find it very interesting to see how long they last. I would like to know whether an electrode for 15 € lasts longer than a replica for 4 €. I just had a set that held 2033 starts and 5 hours of cutting time and it still cuts quite well.

Peter
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Must admit if I swap to finecut from 45a I tend to swap the whole retaining cap, swirl ring and shield and keep them together.
But using same parts I tend to mix and match, I'd agree there 1.5mm divot is about limit for me as well.

I find if the nozzle gets any spatter or slight marking (not out of round) the pierce suffers, especially on 10mm & 12mm with my 45a so what I do quite a bit is put a piece of 8mm bar in the battery drill, slip on the nozzle and a quick spin pressing on some 320 grit on a flat surface till flat again, it takes very little off, works well for me! it's surprising just how much more you can get from a nozzle doing that, I'm sure some won't like the idea though.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
East German

Post by East German »

I've already tried to grind the nozzles inside and outside, but the result didn't convince me.

Peter
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

East German wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 am I've already tried to grind the nozzles inside and outside, but the result didn't convince me.

Peter
I could see cleaning spatter from the nozzle, perhaps with a red scotchbrite pad. But I'm not sure about grinding - Jim Colt would probably suggest replacing with new consumables.
David
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

adbuch wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 am
East German wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 am I've already tried to grind the nozzles inside and outside, but the result didn't convince me.

Peter
Jim Colt would probably suggest replacing with new consumables.
David
I'm sure he would!! it really does work, I have been using the same set all day today, machine has been going non stop, 3 times I have cleaned the nozzle face like this, each time it got cut quality and edge squareness good again, I have measured it with calipers taking very little off, perhaps .05mm each time.
Wire wool is way better than scotchbrite on copper I find, I use coarse wool on the shield and a quick touch of fine after cleaning the nozzle, again on a flat surface after the 320 grit.
3.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg
Attachments
6mm last cuts on same set, nozzle cleaned up x3 and not finished yet!
6mm last cuts on same set, nozzle cleaned up x3 and not finished yet!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Sean,
Those look good! I misunderstood (didn't read your post completely) and thought you were spinning the drill tool on the inside of the nozzle.
David

Return to “General Discussion”