Adobe Illustrator files issues

General software related questions should be posted here.
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Adobe Illustrator files issues

Post by sdixon »

My daughter and I have worked well for 6 years with her drawing art in Adobe Illustrator sending me svg and sometimes dxf files. I just got a new plasma table and their program only uses dxf and dwg files and now I'm having troubles. Her files are coming in with distorted lines or not all the lines are there, sometimes only half of the design comes in. What she sees before sending the files isn't what I see when I download them in the program.

Didn't know if anyone else has experienced this and figured out how to work around it?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Adobe Illustrator files issues

Post by adbuch »

Are you saying that she is sending you dxf files that are problematic? If she can still send you the svg files, then perhaps try opening them with Inkscape and saving in dxf format. Another option that I much prefer is to import the svg files into LightBurn, then export as dxf. LightBurn automatically joins/links all the paths (which Inkscape does not do) for a better outcome when importing to Sheetcam and/or other cam programs.

LightBurn cost is about $60 to purchase a perpetual license. Well worth it, as is is also a very capable vector editor.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Also you might consider posting one of the problematic files here so we can have a look.
David
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sdixon »

Here is a files for you to look at. I was not able to attach a file that all the lines didn't come with the file.
SOTELO _ W 8.68 x H 8.42 in (1).dxf
(267.14 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Thanks for your help.
Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Steve - are you saying you are having problems with this file? Are you using Sheetcam or ?
Other than the fact that your file needs linking/joining to eliminate all of the unwanted intersections, I see nothing wrong with it.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

File as opened
Sotelo 1.jpg

after linking/joining
Sotelo 2 - after linking joining.jpg

dxf after linking/joining
Sotelo after linking joining.dxf
(280.79 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

It could also be that your new table software requires a particular version of dxf, not all dxf files are the same.

My Corel Draw gives me the option to save dxf files on many different versions in order to accommodate as many systems as possible, see some of the version options Corel offers below.

If she has some options like this I would suggest saving the design using different versions and trying to open to determine which dxf version is best interpreted by your new system.

David's suggestion of using Inkscape so save svg to dxf is another fine option but an extra step you may not wish to take if you don;t have to.
dxfversions.png
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

His dxf was in R14 format as best I can tell. It opened fine for me.
David
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sdixon »

With my old table I was using sheetcam but this new table has its own cad/cam/cnc program.
Yes I'm having trouble with this file coming in with smooth arches and the file you posted was the same. We have tried difference dfx version and that didn't help.
We are trying LightBurn and it is working great so far.
I want to thank y'all for your input and helping me and my daughter to be able to work together from a distance.  She lives an hour and half from me and we have enjoyed working together the past few years.
Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sdixon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:18 am With my old table I was using sheetcam but this new table has its own cad/cam/cnc program.
Yes I'm having trouble with this file coming in with smooth arches and the file you posted was the same. We have tried difference dfx version and that didn't help.
We are trying LightBurn and it is working great so far.
I want to thank y'all for your input and helping me and my daughter to be able to work together from a distance.  She lives an hour and half from me and we have enjoyed working together the past few years.
Steve

What kind of table with its own cad/cam software are you using? Are you saying that by processing your files with LightBurn as I suggested is resulting in clean dxf files which your new table cad/cam system will accept and cut properly?
David
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sdixon »

Yes, by processing the svg file in LightBurn and she is exporting the file to me in a dxf file and so far I have not had a problem with a file.
Thanks for your advice.
Steve
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sdixon »

One thing I'm having to do is resize the art work when bring the file into the cad program.
Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sdixon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:05 pm One thing I'm having to do is resize the art work when bring the file into the cad program.
Steve
Its probably exporting in metric units. What kind of plasma table do you have??
David
sdixon
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by sdixon »

Maverick
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I am with David, likely just need to switch the units of measure. Sounds like your getting close to where you want to be with the new software. Pretty awesome you have found something to work on with your daughter despite your distance, any reason to stay in touch on a frequent basis is awesome :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sdixon wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:19 amMaverick
Jim Colt (of Hypertherm fame) is now associated with Maverick. These seem to be very high quality commercial grade cutting tables which I fully expect would have top flight software for cad/cam and table operation. I'm not sure what actual software they use, but I am happy to hear that by using LightBurn to process your files you are now able to cut them with success.

David

https://www.maverickcnc.com/tips-tricks-jim-colt/
Maverick cnc.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”