What are good tools for beginners for post processing.

General software related questions should be posted here.
SandiM
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

What are good tools for beginners for post processing.

Post by SandiM »

I am a very new shop teacher working with high school kids who are learning how to use the plasma table. They are currently using the spitfire plasma table. We recently added water and that did cut down on the grinding. However I am still new enough to not know what all are must haves to use in the post processing. Please give me some ideas. Thank you all in advance.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What are good tools for beginners for post processing.

Post by weldguy »

Welcome to the site, will be a great source of information for you and your students.

There are many techniques to post process your cut parts and it more or less comes down to personal preference. You can experiment with grinding wheels and wire cup wheels and find what you and your students like best.

Maybe post some images of your cut parts so we can see the extent of post processing required. It is possible that you can tweak your plasma tables settings to achieve parts that require very little post processing. This would also be a great lesson for the students on how to fine tune the machine settings to eliminate slag/dross and make the post processing easier.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What are good tools for beginners for post processing.

Post by adbuch »

SandiM wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:57 am I am a very new shop teacher working with high school kids who are learning how to use the plasma table. They are currently using the spitfire plasma table. We recently added water and that did cut down on the grinding. However I am still new enough to not know what all are must haves to use in the post processing. Please give me some ideas. Thank you all in advance.
I use hand held angle grinders with flap discs - grits 40, 60, 80, and 120, and also a wire cup mounted to a angle grinder. Some folks use an acid bath, and the high dollar guys use a commercial grade wide belt sander similar to the one shown below.
David
ms37 wide belt sander.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”