App for Converting Photos to Line Art

General software related questions should be posted here.
Fuzzyx88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

App for Converting Photos to Line Art

Post by Fuzzyx88 »

Does anyone know an app for this or an app that will make tracing a photo just a smile easier?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: App for Converting Photos to Line Art

Post by adbuch »

I use Vector Q. It is free and works great.
David
https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/vector-q- ... d599309610
vector q.jpg
vector q 2.jpg
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I too have used that. I find it still requires a lot of manual clean up with most images but it works. I don't use it to trace for plasma cutting anymore for that reason but it works really well for tracing images I want to scribe since drop out are not an issue when scribing.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Works well for line art - which is what the OP was asking. Yes - I agree that for plasma cutting cleanup/editing is required just like any other auto-trace program.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Vector Q on an iPad with an Apple Pen works great. The nice thing about Vector Q is that it automatically combines overlaying closed paths to create one shape. This greatly reduces the time needed to clean up the file for cutting. Vector Q is the first program I go to, when I need to create something like a dog, or a tree, or a bird, etc. With just a bit of practice, you can create very workable vector files for cutting.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
roberob2025
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by roberob2025 »

Is Vector Q only for apple or can I download it on my windows laptop? I downloaded Inkscape and have been watching videos on the auto trace bitmap but I am not understanding how to use it very well. I will post in a different topic for help I am still learning the buttons but want to look at more programs also. I greatly appreciate all the help so far.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

roberob2025 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:34 am Is Vector Q only for apple or can I download it on my windows laptop? I downloaded Inkscape and have been watching videos on the auto trace bitmap but I am not understanding how to use it very well. I will post in a different topic for help I am still learning the buttons but want to look at more programs also. I greatly appreciate all the help so far.
As far as I know, it is for Ipad or Mac only. It won't work with windows. It relies on having a touch screen so you can press buttons on the screen or use a Apple Pencil for drawing directly onto the screen.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Rogerob to quote David for Inkscape go to https://logosbynick.com/ and buy the tutorials, it is a very powerful program. When you learn the finer details it becomes easier to use. I have done a few interesting projects using Inkscape, it is great for breaking up a drawing for layering to amplify the viewing pleasure. :Yay Also look into Windows "Paint" program, I will try to find the video a member did to help me with tracing tricks for additional details. Found it :Like :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that looks like the video Robert Johnson did showing how to use several programs for this project, including Paint.net and Design Edge. I thought he used VinylMaster as well, but I would need to watch the video again to confirm.
David

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a heck of a time the last 6 hours or so getting Plasmaspider pages to load. All other sites are fine, so I suspect a problem with the Plasmaspider hosting servers.
David
Pspider Support
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pspider Support »

adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:49 am I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a heck of a time the last 6 hours or so getting Plasmaspider pages to load. All other sites are fine, so I suspect a problem with the Plasmaspider hosting servers.
David
Hey David, I have not noticed any loading issues, everything seems to be fine on this end. Anyone else having loading issues?
Pspider Support
Contact Me via PM
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

No problem here but I know a similar thing has been posted in the past, don't remember a reason being posted. Have you tried to remove the cookies from you system? David I think your right the members sign on had RDJ357 :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Pspider Support wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:06 am
adbuch wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:49 am I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a heck of a time the last 6 hours or so getting Plasmaspider pages to load. All other sites are fine, so I suspect a problem with the Plasmaspider hosting servers.
David
Hey David, I have not noticed any loading issues, everything seems to be fine on this end. Anyone else having loading issues?

Hey Justin, It's working fine now. This was late last night/early this morning. Other sites were loading fine while this one was hanging. But it appears to be all cleared up now. Thanks,
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Thanks guys - and yes Paint.Net is a great free program for editing raster images and getting them in better shape for whatever tracing/vectorization comes next. There are tools to convert the picture to pen drawings in the program as well.

I'm going to give Vector Q a try too!

Return to “General Discussion”