designing 3 dimensional art signs without studs

General software related questions should be posted here.
ArtG223
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

designing 3 dimensional art signs without studs

Post by ArtG223 »

Hi im looking for a way to layer a sign without having to use studs kinda like using the tab and slot feature from solid works. The idea is to design the first layer with tabs on the edges to bend 90 degrees the tricky part is the back plate how to locate the slots to were the first layer lines up perfect. I was told inkscape would work but I doubt it I cant figure it out. So the question is is there a program that can make this happen? I included some pics so you guys can get the idea. Thanks!
Attachments
image0 (2).jpeg
image1.jpeg
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: designing 3 dimensional art signs without studs

Post by djreiswig »

Just draw some tabs and test cut them to see how much offset you need to allow for the bends. Then overlay the top layer on the bottom layer and offset a slot that distance from the edge of the top layer where the tab is. If you want to twist the tabs to hold the layers together, you will have to have the upper portion of the tab larger than the slot . Shouldn't be too difficult once you figure out the clearances.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you place masking tape in the locations of the tabs and mark around them. Next drill mounting holes in the back part inside of the marks. then reposition the front part in its location and mark the holes from the back side to be drilled for the screws. I used these fasteners they install like Pop Rivets.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184082073183?h ... Sw3d9d9VhG
Some of those look like front tab sticks through the back and twist the tabs that protrude through the back side to hold them in place. The tape making will also work for the locations of the penetration.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ArtG223
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ArtG223 »

would you use inkscape to do this? If not what program do you guys prefer and why?
Thanks again!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I think it all boils down to which software you are familiar with. Inkscape and Fusion 360, both which are free, will certainly do this. Others would use CorelDraw, Solid Edge(free), or whatever they are used to. I personally use Design Edge. Do you have a sketch you can provide to show us exactly what you are trying to accomplish of this particular project? If so, then share it here so we can take a look.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I think most drawing program will work fine as you can place the layers over each other for placement of tabs or where holes/slots need to go through.
Just like positioning bolt holes in different parts based on dimensional measurements.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:30 pm I think most drawing program will work fine as you can place the layers over each other for placement of tabs or where holes/slots need to go through.
Just like positioning bolt holes in different parts based on dimensional measurements.
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “General Discussion”