Command cnc upgrade need help

General software related questions should be posted here.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Command cnc upgrade need help

Post by OTHill »

Got all axis calibrated and running right direction. Load a file press run and everything starts right but Z goes down -.750 and stops. Any ideas anyone please? Here's a couple of screen pics.
20220912_171112.jpg
20220912_171027.jpg
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
OTHill

Re: Command cnc upgrade need help

Post by OTHill »

Can't get Z input to work could be the problem but don't know what to do
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

OTHill wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:32 pm Got all axis calibrated and running right direction. Load a file press run and everything starts right but Z goes down -.750 and stops. Any ideas anyone please? Here's a couple of screen pics.20220912_171112.jpg20220912_171027.jpg
Is that 0.750" above the material surface? If not, how high is it above Z=0?, I am assuming that you have zeroed it out to the top of material.

David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Are you able to post the g code and show what line the machine stops at when Z reaches -.750"?
TJS

Post by TJS »

Not sure what you are running for your Z car. Does the AUX1 input lite up on the input status screen (orange wire) when you touch the plate. I remember when I wired my Z up I had to separate the Orange wire and put it to the AUX1 on the card. There are updates to the instructions on this in the documentation and or updates on the CNC site. In your config for Z axis did you calculate the switch offset. The FAQ on Command CNC tell you how to do it. Then when you perform a home Z it should come down and touch the plate and move up the value of the offset. Your .750 is your safety margin(forget the exact terminology) for tip up clearance. I have mine at 1.00". Show your config settings for Z probe and home. I will check mine when I get home. The theory behind this if the Probe does not work (rusty plate, paint etc) then the Z home mechanical switch will take over.
T.J.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I'm not running ohmic sensing just mechanical sencing. I don't know all the right terms for this stuff. My main thing now is I must get my Z switch working as it will not light up the led on commandcnc screen when I lift z manually. I don't know why. The switch does work when I check it with multi meter.
TJS

Post by TJS »

What does your configurator settings denote. It should be just then Z home switch and no probe. Also have you set your offset.

https://www.candcnc.net/knowledgebase/h ... ch-offset/
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

20220913_095543.jpg

This is my Z settings . There is no way to set awitch offset if Z switch is not working is there?
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Well dummy! The Z switch is not plugged into the controller and I have no idea where it goes Gotta search some more. Grrr
TJS

Post by TJS »

Wires go into the I/O card male spades if that is what you call it(I don't know all the right terms either). Z-Home is the label for one wire. Then the other wire one goes into the COMS coming from COMs on your switch for what can remember.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

20220913_112411.jpg
These ones?
TJS

Post by TJS »

I don't think so there are more spades than that and I remember seeing a Label Z-Home.I see you posted on CNC. Maybe they can answer. Albeit I might have an older system than you.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I do have the very latest. Just shipped a week ago.those are the only 2 spades. Guess I'll have to wait for Candcnc it's a little slow over there seems like. Thanks alot tjs.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Cross posted on CandCNC Support Forum
https://www.candcnc.net/supportforum/vi ... hp?p=19698
Posting the same question on different forums without linking them makes it hard to follow.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Firstly, have you checked the manual? There's all sorts of helpful information in there.
Here is a link to the manuals.
https://www.candcnc.net/manuals/
This may help you locate where to connect your z home switch.
Screenshot_20220913-164238(1).png
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
TJS

Post by TJS »

He does not have that card 12.3 Rev. That is what I thought he has. He has G5 with Card i/o 17. I see he got it to work.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Great discussion! I will look forward to the resolution to this dilemma.
David
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:49 pm Firstly, have you checked the manual? There's all sorts of helpful information in there.
Have I checked the manual? I've waded around in the manuals for the last 4 weeks. I have a very hard time picking out what relates to my system. For instance having the DTCH 5 and there being no complete manual labeled that way. I'm am totally tech illiterate and wouldn't get to first base without the help of all you good people on here. So thank you all for your help. djreiswig your diagram is what did it for me. Thanks! Allan.
TJS

Post by TJS »

OTHill wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:32 pm
djreiswig wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:49 pm Firstly, have you checked the manual? There's all sorts of helpful information in there.
Have I checked the manual? I've waded around in the manuals for the last 4 weeks. I have a very hard time picking out what relates to my system. For instance having the DTCH 5 and there being no complete manual labeled that way. I'm am totally tech illiterate and wouldn't get to first base without the help of all you good people on here. So thank you all for your help. djreiswig your diagram is what did it for me. Thanks! Allan.
I 100% agree. The manuals need a complete revamp and real technical writers.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I wouldn't take the job for any money! I used to build portable bandsawmills and one day sat down to write an operators manual. Never got to the second page. I really feel for Tom over at Candcnc. He must tear his hair out some days.

Return to “General Discussion”