MyNesting Online DXF Nesting Service

General software related questions should be posted here.
ruralfencer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

MyNesting Online DXF Nesting Service

Post by ruralfencer »

I've been looking for a good nesting program but the budget doesn't extend to what some of the better programs are asking.
After google searches I found MyNesting. I thought I'd give it a go. Free download but pay as you go for nests.
This is pretty easy to use after watching the tutorial.

Just my 2 cents for anyone on a budget like me
Mick
Owner/ operator
MJT rural Contracting
Weldclass t1200
Hypertherm Pwermax 45XP
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: MyNesting

Post by adbuch »

Mick - I just tried it out. Too bad they only give you one free trial nest. I assumed that it would ask the sheet size once I entered the nesting program, but I was wrong and it assumed that the largest part was the sheet I wanted the other parts nested in. Oh Well!! What do they charge per nest?
David
nest test 1.jpg
nest test 2.jpg
nest test 3.jpg
nest test 4.jpg
nest test 5.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I don't often have a need for automatic nesting, but when I do I use the Design Edge Nesting. It also has the capability to convert to cut paths when it nests the parts. Here are the same parts.
David
nest shapes 1.jpg
nest shapes 2.jpg
nest shapes 3.jpg
ruralfencer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ruralfencer »

After importing parts select sheet from the top tabs, then add new sheet, a pop up will display asking for sheet sizes.
You can have as many parts as you want, it will keep generating sheets for the nest.
It gets exported as a dxf with all the sheets in one file, I'm just going to copy and paste into separate files to load into sheetcam as I'm limited to 1200x 1200, 4 foot x 4 foot.

i generated 1 nest this morning with 4 sheets for the nest. I'm guessing this will be the easiest for me because of size limitations.
Attachments
Screenshot (39).png
Mick
Owner/ operator
MJT rural Contracting
Weldclass t1200
Hypertherm Pwermax 45XP
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ruralfencer wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:24 am After importing parts select sheet from the top tabs, then add new sheet, a pop up will display asking for sheet sizes.
You can have as many parts as you want, it will keep generating sheets for the nest.
It gets exported as a dxf with all the sheets in one file, I'm just going to copy and paste into separate files to load into sheetcam as I'm limited to 1200x 1200, 4 foot x 4 foot.

i generated 1 nest this morning with 4 sheets for the nest. I'm guessing this will be the easiest for me because of size limitations.
What is the cost per nest?
Thanks,
David
ruralfencer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ruralfencer »

I paid $5us per nest
Mick
Owner/ operator
MJT rural Contracting
Weldclass t1200
Hypertherm Pwermax 45XP
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I understand automatic nesting for a large amount of small parts but you can be nesting with SheetCam very easily. Moving and rotating parts can be done with adding parts as you go along. I will do a video if interested.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

Have you tried Deepnest.io ? It is open source and works pretty well if you dont need too many advanced features.

Link: https://deepnest.io/
ruralfencer
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ruralfencer »

Yeah tried it and found it a PITA. My interweb runs too slow for it to work properly
Mick
Owner/ operator
MJT rural Contracting
Weldclass t1200
Hypertherm Pwermax 45XP
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I tried Deepnest as well several years ago. It seemed to work ok with svg files, but not so much with dxf. Perhaps I will take another look to see if it has improved any. That 5 bucks per nest seems pretty steep for MyNesting. I thought it would be much cheaper to use. I think they would do better if they sold it as either an annual subscription or perpetual one time purchase.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I just downloaded and installed the latest version. To my surprise, it does require an internet connection to operate. I tried it with a dxf file and it seems to work very well.
David
Deepnest 1.jpg
Deepnest 2.jpg
Deepnest 3.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I didn't have the same success with svg files. They were coming in not to scale (and not just off by a factor of 25.4) and sometimes when the exported svg nest was imported to Inkscape some of the parts would be on top of each other. In the past I have seen a demonstration nesting svg files and the user was having good success.

David
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

I have run into the same with the scale on some dxf files using Deepnest. You might need to adjust some of the configuration options in the program to suit your needs. The internet is needed as it farms the "solution solving" off to the cloud compute resource. For my needs it works pretty well. I am just learning so my needs are basic at this point.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

martyy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:26 am I have run into the same with the scale on some dxf files using Deepnest. You might need to adjust some of the configuration options in the program to suit your needs. The internet is needed as it farms the "solution solving" off to the cloud compute resource. For my needs it works pretty well. I am just learning so my needs are basic at this point.
Marty - I had great success with dxf files. It was the svg that were problematic.
David
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

adbuch wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:18 am
martyy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:26 am I have run into the same with the scale on some dxf files using Deepnest. You might need to adjust some of the configuration options in the program to suit your needs. The internet is needed as it farms the "solution solving" off to the cloud compute resource. For my needs it works pretty well. I am just learning so my needs are basic at this point.
Marty - I had great success with dxf files. It was the svg that were problematic.
David
Now that you mention it, I might have had them mixed up. I am wondering if the svg scale needs to be at 96 units per inch vs 90 as Inkscape seems to be using 96 dpi.
adbuch

Re: MyNesting Online DXF Nesting Service

Post by adbuch »

Marty - It sounds like you are talking about resolution of dots per inch. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In addition to the scale, the nested svg file had some of the parts overlapping other parts for the examples I looked at. Perhaps it would be best to nest the parts in dxf format, then convert to svg after the nesting is accomplished. LightBurn is a great tool for converting dxf to svg and visa versa. I will have to try and see how it does.

In any case, thanks for your feedback.

David
martyy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by martyy »

adbuch wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:04 am Marty - It sounds like you are talking about resolution of dots per inch. Please correct me if I'm wrong. In addition to the scale, the nested svg file had some of the parts overlapping other parts for the examples I looked at. Perhaps it would be best to nest the parts in dxf format, then convert to svg after the nesting is accomplished. LightBurn is a great tool for converting dxf to svg and visa versa. I will have to try and see how it does.

In any case, thanks for your feedback.

David
Yes, was talking about DPI. See these two screenshots from Deepnest and Inkscape configurations. Guessing they need to match for them to import correctly. I have my Deepnest at 90 and will try it at 96 to see if that resolves the scaling issues.
Screenshot 2022-10-14 115752.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-14 115617.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for that clarification Marty! I will take a look to see if I can get it to work for me with the svg.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Marty - I entered the value of 96 for the import resolution in the Deepnest configuration page which matches the default Inkscape value and now it seems to work well most of the time. My first nest was messed up, but subsequent nests came out well.

This was my first nest, not sure what happened. I think for the others shown below I had restarted Deepnest and re-entered the resolution value.
Deepnest 1.jpg
Deepnest 2.jpg
Deepnest 3.jpg
Deepnest 4.jpg
Deepnest 5.jpg
Deepnest 6.jpg
I just nested the same parts again to check. Here are the results.
David
nest again 1.jpg
nest again 2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

For comparison, here are the results of nesting the same parts/same quantities for Deepnest and Design Edge. The thing I like better about the Design Edge nesting is that it can be set to create the cut paths at the same time it nests the parts. With the Deepnest parts I have to manually create the cut paths for each part.

Does Sheetcam have the ability to create all cut paths using a single command? I would expect that it does.

David

Cut preview of Deepnest nested parts with cut paths created with Design Edge.
nest again 3.jpg
Deepnest nest vs. Design Edge nest. The Design Edge nest appears to be a tighter nest than the Deepnest nest, but Deepnest is free and the Design Edge Nest Shapes upgrade is priced at $998. So I believe the Deepnest program is a great tool and the fact that it will work with both dxf and svg formats is a big plus. Design Edge does not have the capability to work with svg files directly.
nest again 4.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”