Why Not Google SketchUp?

General software related questions should be posted here.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Why Not Google SketchUp?

Post by Joe Jones »

I have been using Google SketchUp for several years. I just decided to pay for an "Advanced" level of the program for $119.00 per year, to help me speed up the process of getting the 3D printer online. I know that Fusion 360 is very similar, along with SolidWorks and others, but I already know how to draw pretty much anything in SketchUp, and the paid version allows me to design and export .dxf files and .stl files, something the free version does not do.

With all of the software out there that folks like us use, I am wondering why Google SketchUp and also DesignSpark Mechanical are not recognized here, and on CNC Zone and other forums. I guess not many people use those programs?

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Why Not Google SketchUp?

Post by weldguy »

I think it is just the case you mentioned, not a lot of users. Not sure I have ever seen anyone here ask a question about drawing something in either of those programs.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yeah ... You are probably right. I can't understand it though. I cannot think of a better program for drawing up simple to complex designs than SketchUp. It is so simple to use, and intuitive.

I am learning Fusion 360. I see that it is very much the same, except that the tools are different, and in different places. I also have SolidWorks on one PC, a program I purchased a decade ago for an obscene price, but never learned how to use. I may get back into that program one day, but I have to try to stay focused on one for now.

DesignSpark Mechanical is a fantastic program, and there are You Tube training videos to show you how it works.

Ah, well ... I was just wondering why SketchUp is not used, or even represented here and other places.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I think is more about the user, we all being slightly different in like and dislikes, which may be effected by the first look at software. With me price has a big effect, I will not use a subscription type program at all. I don't mind paying under $100 for one I can use for ever, but $600 per year for me a hobby type is out of line. Having to pay more for the Pro version to get more options is something I will not go for either.
I know its other peoples money but I like for mine to work harder for me before I let it go.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

+1:to what Tom said.

I struggle through with FreeCAD (it does a lot of things, some are harder than others to do in my opinion on other software, and I have used a lot of them but I refuse to pay for the software as a hobbyist who just dabbles for my own needs, not resale)

this is the variant of FreeCAD I am using at present
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/releases

you just unzip the folder and run it and it runs as a local package (no software is actually installed onto your system)

it looks very similar to fusion 360, it's a bit more intuitive than raw freecad

there is a setup tutorial here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

So many choices! I wish I had a memory. I'd learn all of them.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “General Discussion”