DXF is all separate lines in Torchmate CAD

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
Pebley Ironworks
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

DXF is all separate lines in Torchmate CAD

Post by Pebley Ironworks »

Hello! I have a potential project and I came across something I've come across before and wondering if there's an easier solution.
FYI I'm working with Torchmate software

Client sent me SVG file of logo
I imported into inkscape, saved as a DXF, then opened that DXF in my torchmate program
The image comes in with lines all broken up. The only way I know how to fix that is to go in individually by the line, and connect the nodes to connect the path. This takes A LOT of time!
Is there something I can do in inkscape to make the image more complete before pulling into torchmate? Or any torchmate users know how I can do it all at once?
I have attached the SVG and a photo that shows how broken up the lines are
I appreciate any help in advanced! ****posted to clipart file sharing forum and torchmate software forum****
broken lines.JPG
responsive medical.dxf
(198.42 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
ResponsiveLogo-final.svg
(15.09 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking for Help

Post by plasmanewbie »

I have never used Torchmate and I suck with Inkscape but I did notice that the svg file is not broken up so the broken sections must have happened when Inkscape saved the svg as a dxf.

What other file formats will your Torchmate CAD accept. Maybe it's as simple as finding a different file format that will work better. Aside from that I would expect that Torchmate CAD would have a function to connect broken lines segments automatically but maybe not.

I did find this out about Torchmate CAD that may help. Found it here https://torchmate.com/cad-cam-7-8-9/Imp ... t-Drawings

Torchmate.PNG
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

See if this works for you.
responsive medical.dxf
(198.42 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
BILLETMAN
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BILLETMAN »

under arrange there is a tab called connect path and you can set how big the gap you want to connect.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Here is your original dxf file before linking.
linking 1.jpg
And here is the same file after linking.
linking 2.jpg
Since you don't have Design Edge, you can accomplish the same thing using LightBurn. Simply import your original svg to LightBurn and then export as dxf. The file will be automatically linked upon export. You can try LightBurn for free for 30 days to see if this will work for your application.

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy

After linking, there are still two overlaps needing attention.
linking 3.jpg
linking 4.jpg
linking 5.jpg
Here is the file after linking with Design Edge.
ResponsiveLogo-final from LB.dxf
(82.82 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:06 pm I have never used Torchmate and I suck with Inkscape but I did notice that the svg file is not broken up so the broken sections must have happened when Inkscape saved the svg as a dxf.

What other file formats will your Torchmate CAD accept. Maybe it's as simple as finding a different file format that will work better. Aside from that I would expect that Torchmate CAD would have a function to connect broken lines segments automatically but maybe not.

I did find this out about Torchmate CAD that may help. Found it here https://torchmate.com/cad-cam-7-8-9/Imp ... t-Drawings

Torchmate.PNG
I know nothing about Torchmate cad, but I agree that the Arrange, Connect Path tool looks like it may work for this.
David
otisa2007

Post by otisa2007 »

here it is linked and cleaned up in plasmacam see if this helps I have used the torchmate and inkscape their good for certain things but plasmacam is the best i've seen for artistic work
Attachments
response medical.dxf
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

otisa2007 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:28 am here it is linked and cleaned up in plasmacam see if this helps I have used the torchmate and inkscape their good for certain things but plasmacam is the best i've seen for artistic work
Otisa, your result still needs some editing as shown below.
David
zero length nodes 1.jpg
zero length nodes 2.jpg
zero length nodes 4.jpg
zero length nodes 5.jpg
zero length nodes 6.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, in Design Edge you can use the select tool to view the Paths, number of nodes, and associated path lengths.
David
otisa2007

Post by otisa2007 »

I need to relook at the exported dxf I have noticed that something will look good in plasmacam but when i export to the dxf it can do some strange things probably settings i need to fix i have a friend i send files to for his arclight table and from time to time it looks good on my end but does random stuff like this on his table after export
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

otisa2007 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:24 am I need to relook at the exported dxf I have noticed that something will look good in plasmacam but when i export to the dxf it can do some strange things probably settings i need to fix i have a friend i send files to for his arclight table and from time to time it looks good on my end but does random stuff like this on his table after export
You have to be careful that you have no stray nodes. If when you hit the F5 your drawing doesn't zoom to fill the screen, then use your Select tool to find the stray unwanted nodes. Also use you Detect tool "D" to find any intersections or overlaps in the file. Once you get the hang of it you should be able to edit and export some nice clean files. If you have any other file giving you trouble, feel free to post then and I will have a look.
David
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DXF is all separate lines in Torchmate CAD

Post by ben de lappe »

Way late to the party here but seeing this thread I wanted to offer a tip to the OP as well as anyone else using Inkscape in conjunction with Torchmate CAD. Instead of saving the .svg as .dxf in Inkscape save it as .eps. TM CAD will import that correctly.
tcaudle

Re: DXF is all separate lines in Torchmate CAD

Post by tcaudle »

The problem with DXF is it can be messed up in the export AND the import. Almost all export filters use an older version of DXF that does not support arcs or objects or complex curves. The reason is that AUtoDesk owns the file format 9Its not open or well documented( and they win't tell how to use later versions that support polylines (lines with multiple CONNECTED nodes and arcs). its on purpose because the export is supposed to be for printing and viewing , not to be edited by another program. They really don't want you using other tools to draw and edit with

SVG has full support for arc, complex curves and closed circles . SheetCAM will import SVG direct and its smooth and clean as the original.. EPS is a form of Postscript so it too retains all of the drawing details and the shapes.

A more current universal file exchange format is PDF (another form of Postscript) and a lot of DRAWING programs support that and other vector formats. Doing decorative artwork and editing in a CAD program is the wrong tool for the job.

If your file is in DXF it's probably already segmented and broken into hundreds of tiny lines . ShetCAM has an import tolerance setting that lets you define how far apart the "nodes" are before they are considered connected and the same toolpath. That helps but if you can keep a file that is in SVG original (or any vector format that uses poly shapes (like AI, EPS, PS, CDR, PDF or SVG) you cuts wil have lots fewer nodes, better detail and be smaller in size (lines of code). Converting a DXF to another format does not "fix" it. You have to edit it manually and take out all of the extra nodes and convert stuff to two or three point arcs. Word of warning: EPS CDR and PDF can also contain bitmaps (pictures) so the result may not be actual vectors.

A lot of programs do not support "Text" saved as the FONT. The reason is a font is a special object that has embedded info like kerning and font specific data that most programs can't parse. In Inkscape once you do something to Test *like wrap it around a circle then weld (UNION) that to another shape it converts it to a PATH rather than a Font . The other option may be to to do that conversion on the final save or do it on a copy . That way you could come back and just change the text and it would not need a lot of rework.

Return to “Torchmate Software”