Converting, editing multiple files using SVG

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
Pebley Ironworks
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Converting, editing multiple files using SVG

Post by Pebley Ironworks »

I see everyone using SVG or DXF files (same if purchasing from someone) but how do I use them if I want to slightly edit or make multiples? I'm very new to all of this and I've always just used jpeg images to create something in my Torchmate software. Software doesn't seem to like SVG or any other kind of files. As I'm reading through these posts I'm seeing a lot of the wise and experienced users and artists are using multiple kinds of software to edit/create images. Is it recommended to do that? If so, what other programs can I use with my Torchmate table/hypertherm cutter?
I appreciate any help!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Converting/Using SVG

Post by adbuch »

This topic was discussed in detail here.
https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php? ... 27#p215027
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

I would suggest CorelDRAW or Inkscape. Inkscape is free, Corel has a free trial but costs money.

I like Corel and have used it for years so I woudl suggest that but many others here use Inkscape.

Inkscape seems to be a little pickier with what files it likes to open, some will not. They all do this but Inkscape I find is worse.

I suspect many try Inkscape as it is free and once you learn how to use something you tend to stick with it.

Either way there is plenty of help here for both those programs and both will accomplish the same thing.
AJNess822

Post by AJNess822 »

I do a lot of my editing in TorchmateCAD! I can't do anything with SVGs but to use a DXF you have to Import a single file at a time. To turn your CDL file into a DXF you have to Export it as that type of file, which you can actually export it as a SVG also.
I also Run a torchamate cutting system with a hypertherm plasma.
Bodor 12KW Laser Tabe (8'X20')
Lincoln Accumove 3
Hypertherm Powermax 1650
7'x20' Table (plasma and torch)
Mobile Welding (Miller Big 40)
Magnetic Particle and Liquid Dye Testing (Level II)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AJNess822 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:17 pm I do a lot of my editing in TorchmateCAD! I can't do anything with SVGs but to use a DXF you have to Import a single file at a time. To turn your CDL file into a DXF you have to Export it as that type of file, which you can actually export it as a SVG also.
I also Run a torchamate cutting system with a hypertherm plasma.
Thanks for that information. I'm sure others using the TorchmateCAD will find it useful. There always seems to be a group of multiple programs used when processing/editing these files for cutting. I sometimes use CorelDraw and VinlyMaster as well. My go to programs are Inkscape, LightBurn, and Design Edge for cnc plasma work. I like Fusion 360 for solid modeling for 3D printing, and VCarve Pro for the cnc wood router projects. It's good to have a variety of choices.

David
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Converting, editing multiple files using SVG

Post by ben de lappe »

Pebley Ironworks wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:03 pm I see everyone using SVG or DXF files (same if purchasing from someone) but how do I use them if I want to slightly edit or make multiples? I'm very new to all of this and I've always just used jpeg images to create something in my Torchmate software. Software doesn't seem to like SVG or any other kind of files. As I'm reading through these posts I'm seeing a lot of the wise and experienced users and artists are using multiple kinds of software to edit/create images. Is it recommended to do that? If so, what other programs can I use with my Torchmate table/hypertherm cutter?
I appreciate any help!
Way late to this thread as well but wanted you to know that by saving your .svg as .eps in Inkscape Torchmate CAD will then import flawlessly. TM is the only CAD I've ever used and I'd say my results are acceptable. :Yay Software choice boils down to preference which in my opinion takes a lot of practice to determine what suits you best.
Pebley Ironworks

Post by Pebley Ironworks »

Interesting! Thank you for the info. I just tried it with some files I was sent. Seemed to work perfect for one of them, but not the other. I will keep trying to figure it out!
Thanks again!
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Pebley Ironworks wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:55 pm Interesting! Thank you for the info. I just tried it with some files I was sent. Seemed to work perfect for one of them, but not the other. I will keep trying to figure it out!
Thanks again!
Most welcome. Interesting how it worked on one only.

One more tip. Not sure where these files come from nor am I insinuating anything about any other artist but I will say this. Not all files are created equal. They are drawn with a wide variety of CAD software that doesn't always get along. As you said keep trying to figure it out. We're all on the same road here just at different stages of the journey.

Return to “Torchmate Software”