Alternative Software

Torchmates software related questions and tips can be posted here
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Alternative Software

Post by humanzee99 »

What software is the best for creating drawings (dxf) and then importing them into CadLite without problems? I've had experience with a lot of programs and 3 plasma tables. I've been using a Torchmate table at the shop for the past few months. Its the most inefficient and cumbersome software and table I've used so far.

There are lots of free or upgraded $200 annual subscription programs out there. I'd like to know what's popular to use over CadLite.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Alternative Software

Post by plasmanewbie »

Are you doing mainly mechanical designs or artistic designs?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

humanzee99 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 am What software is the best for creating drawings (dxf) and then importing them into CadLite without problems? I've had experience with a lot of programs and 3 plasma tables. I've been using a Torchmate table at the shop for the past few months. Its the most inefficient and cumbersome software and table I've used so far.

There are lots of free or upgraded $200 annual subscription programs out there. I'd like to know what's popular to use over CadLite.
Which dxf versions will cadlite import? AutoCAD DXF R14, AutoCAD DXF R12, or? Most current software (assuming cadlite is current) should be able to import in R14 format. Are you looking for free, low cost, or high-end drawing software?

Free: Inkscape, Fusion 360, QCad

Low cost: LightBurn

Medium Cost: BricsCAD, VCarve Pro

High Cost: Design Edge

I personally use Inkscape, Fusion 360, LightBurn, BricsCAD, VCarve Pro, and Design Edge. Any of these programs will export in AutoCAD DXF R14 format. For cnc plasma cutting, I mainly use Inkscape and Design Edge.

What sorts of files are you interested in cutting? Artwork, or mechanical in nature, or a bit of both?

There are some excellent online tutorials on most all of these programs. I personally wouldn't even consider a program with an annual subscription fee, unless it was really cheap for something really great. If you find something like that, please let me know.

David
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by humanzee99 »

During a search for recommended plasma tables a few weeks ago, I came across one table that uses QCAD. I have been unable to find the table in my history...

I had downloaded QCAD in September but left it alone as I was sorting through others. QCAD also had a different user interface that I didn't want to dive into.

After using it for a few hours last weekend I was impressed. Any issues I ran into, procedural questions I had, were easily answered (massive reference manual) and I found it as joyful to use as DesignEdge. Because I was so impressed with the software, I could use techniques I learned to use in DesignEdge, I purchased QCADCAM for 89 EURO. Another reason I purchased QCAD was because I could design a project I once made in DesignEdge. I never felt confident I could design this project using another program I have come across. It's most likely possible using other programs, but with more difficulty. I'm sure if I went back and poked around in DraftSight it could probably work. My trial has expired so oh well...

I am now able to focus my efforts in designing accurate mechanical parts. Having an efficient path to creating technical/complex parts helps give me an edge in the shop. I do artistic pieces as well, so now that I'm using a program that isn't fighting me all the time I can make creative progress in far less time.

One of the oddest problems I ran into today at the shop was opening a dxf file, designed in QCAD, into Torchmate. If I didn't have the box "restore printer information" selected the file would "error" and not open. When selected it opens no problem, using R27 format file size 1.6MB. What "restore printer information" has to do with anything or what it means??? I had wasted almost an hour putting the file into R9, R12, R14, R27, R32 trying to get the dxf to open with Cadlite thinking it was a compatibility issue.

I had not seen the response of user "adbuch" at this time.

I have been able to make progress on the pizza restaurant sign. Previously, for images, I had used Inkscape to trace bitmap of a jpg, just like on youtube examples. The resulting dxf was always compatible with Westcott's Design2Cut and could easily be turned into a cut file, and then cut out. But when loading the file into NanoCad, for easier editing, and then into Torchmate I could never get a clean cutfile. There were about 100 pierce points and it didn't care if it was supposed to be a positive or negative cut. It quickly led to a dead end as all variations of options that could help didn't work. That's why I got away from NanoCAD and programs that seemed to be copies of or copied by NanoCAD.
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by humanzee99 »

I am interesting in learning how to use InkScape for drawings. I tried drawing a part up about a month ago and failed.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

humanzee99 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:35 am I found it as joyful to use as DesignEdge. Because I was so impressed with the software, I could use techniques I learned to use in DesignEdge,
What sorts of mechanical design projects did you design/create using Design Edge? Since Plasmacam Design Edge is normally supplied with their tables, I assume you were using a Plasmacam table when you were learning to use Design Edge. Was this at a school, or did you at one time own a Plasmacam table?
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

humanzee99 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:46 am I am interesting in learning how to use InkScape for drawings. I tried drawing a part up about a month ago and failed.
I think you might have better luck with LightBurn. Much shorter learning curve and pretty good capability. And it's geared towards cnc laser/plasma. You can download the free 30 day trial and if you like it purchase for $60.
David

https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy
lightburn download trial.jpg
https://lightburnsoftware.com/pages/tri ... re-you-buy
lightburn tutorials.jpg
humanzee99
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by humanzee99 »

The first shop I worked at had a Samson 510 table and a basic version of DesignEdge software. I believe the copyright was 2003, 2007? I called up Plasmacam and they told me they no longer supported that version of DesignEdge. I stayed after work 1-2 hours every day for about 2 weeks until I felt comfortable with the software.

The main project I made in DesignEdge was a 90 degree elbow. It had 7 main pieces, was 24" Diameter, with a radius of 68". It also had flanges on both ends. I took a basic formula from a pipe fitters manual, added onto it, derived a cosine equation from that, then plotted the curve in Excel. This was some time ago so its a bit fuzzy how I did it all, but I ended up with a series of (x,y) points that I then readjusted to fit certain parameters of the original equation of the pipefitters manual. This was then plotted in DesignEdge and adjusted if it was one of the end pieces. I was motivated to find a better way of doing this because the old school way is crap.

It was challenging and I was proud I did it on my own. I had no help from the internet, no one else to my knowledge had done this before. I'm sure someone has at some point done what I've done, but maybe not. IDK. My research only found old school ways of doing it. The old school way of doing it was to take a sheet of metal and cut it to size, roll it so its a big 24" diameter tube, then draw diagonal lines using a wraparound and cut it with a zip wheel. There is some math involved but its down to eyeballing all of it. I have done this with 12" diameter tubing and its very messy, inaccurate, fit-up for welding is very poor (1/4" gaps with 10 gauge is nasty), angle is never uniform, once the seams are welded the tubing wants to become EGG shaped after cutting it, and the welds look like crap due to all the other problems.

I feel comfortable that QCAD can handle a project of this size and just have the basic problems that you will encounter with any project, and succeed. I haven't had this confidence with other programs I have tried.

There was a table at school but there were no classes for it and even in advanced welding classes the table was never mentioned. Only the professors used it.

I added a gallery https://imgur.com/gallery/seYrGpe

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

That's a nice looking part! There days you can also use Fusion 360 for this type of design work, but of course it was not available back in the "old days".
David
90 degree elbow from Fusion 360.jpg

Return to “Torchmate Software”