adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torchmate EDU to DXF File

Post by adbuch »

kchoghead wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:31 pm
Joe Jones wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm
CoachPayne wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:48 pm Good afternoon Guys and Girls,

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. [..] I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF. [..]
Hmmm... I have demonstrated that I can convert these files. I have offered to convert his file for free. Now I get no response either here, or via email.

What am I to conclude from this? :roll:

Joe
can u convert a edu file to dfx for me?
Yes - I would like to see that as well. I don't know where he got his demo file, but go ahead and post one of your actual files so we can see how it goes.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

kchoghead wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:31 pm can u convert a edu file to dfx for me?
Yes, it is very easy. However, if you have an EDU file, why can't you convert it using the TorchMate software? Do you no longer have access to the Master Software to do the conversion? If you are a TorchMate student, you need to export ALL of your EDU files as DXF files, if you plan to use them OUTSIDE of the TorchMate environment.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:39 pm linuxcnc will run it.
I would like to see a demonstration of that!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. I have always had a Torchmate and all the files I have from about 5 years of CAD are all Torchmate EDU files. I saved all of my files when I moved school districts but I did not realize you have to have the Master version of Torchmate CAD in order to export as a DXF file. Well I found that out after
I no longer have access to the Master version
. I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF.

So my first question is, does anyone know of a way to convert them? Second would anyone that has torchmate CAD be willing to convert a few files for me so I can cut this firepit?

Thanks in Advance.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:48 pm

[..] Well I found that out after
I no longer have access to the Master version
What is your point? Coach Payne said he did not have access to the Master program, and kchoghead asked me to convert a EDU file. Am I to assume that Coach Payne speaks for kchoghead? :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Joe,

read your original question, and my reply.

I think you thought I said that linuxcnc will run on a torchmate or plasmacam controller ..... I did not say that. and your question was:
Joe Jones wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:39 pm What is the name of your free software that will run the Torchmate CNC tables or the PlasmaCam tables?
Joe
and my reply was:
I never said linuxcnc would run on a torchmate or plasmacam CONTROLLER.

I said linuxcnc / QtPlasmaC would run the TABLE which was your question.

throw the controller in the BIN and stop supporting poor customer service and arrogant manufacturers and suppliers.

you bitch and moan endlessly about customer support and imply that being locked in to using a piece of software such as the educational licence of torchmate.

my reply if you read it again directly after your bitch and moan about the customer satisfaction survey was
robertspark wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 am that is why i use linux + freeware extensively now..... no fusion 360 etc etc.
librecad
freecad
inkscape
gimp
linuxcnc
..... no dick turpin style handover the cash or you don't get yo update your software (blue and yellow boat anchors included).

There are just too many good and free software options available that are well developed to tie ones self to something daft like a hardware of software lock.....

openoffice / libre office etc.
handing over cash for something intangible is just daft for me, YMMV

then again if you'd like a digital artwork making, I'm sure I could rustle up something for you for a cool $50 million plus (timewasters need not apply):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
I honestly am trying to avoid reading any of your posts as you just have too many negative waves and bitch and moan about everything absolutely everything that does not meet your expectations or requirements.

hence why I avoided continuing this discussion as I could see that it would just end in a measuring competition.

but you keep poking for a reply ...

again if you want to stop supporting what you perceive as bad customer support and being locked in to one supplier with a bad attitude to customer support .... be the controller of your own destiny and try opensource and try to run your plasmacam or torchmate TABLE (not the controller) on linuxcnc + QtPlasmaC.

honestly, spend a few dollars and buy some Mesa hardware and get an old pc to run linuxcnc and have a go at RUNNING one of your TABLES on linuxcnc.

try opensource where you cannot moan about customer support as YOU have full control to change and modify the software to YOUR requirements.

if you have a spare controller and you open it up i am sure you can probably figure out how to directly control the servo drives / drivers with linuxcnc without the front end functionality of plasmacam or torchmate software.

sure you loose the functionality to draw shapes or trace artwork as I presume the plasmacam or torchmate software does.... but then you won't need to endlessly moan about how you feel you have been shafted by poor customer support.

I would rather not continue this discussion any further as I'm sure you will only bitch and moan about something else (linuxcnc won't do XYZ... it's OPENSOURCE... change it!!!! sure you will have to learn how to code maybe or ask on the forum for advice) you have your perception and expectation of the world as you see it and wow it is so negative about absolutely everything, whether it's about customer service, support, covid, Californians or whatever

I suffer from depression so I don't need the negative waves and really avoid your posts as best as I can on an open forum.

I've tried my best to avoid replying to this one, but it seems you won't give up

I'm sure I've read you have suffered from blood pressure or heart issues, so a bit of positivity will probably help you out.

good luck, have fun and try opensource where it is what YOU make of it

if you want a measuring competition, then
yes I'm sure plasmacam or torchmate tables are the best and greatest and have software that does everything brilliant and perfect, it's quicker than anything else on offer, etc etc. good luck with that and then don't bitch and moan about it or customer service or licencing or whatever

Negative Waves.jpeg
Negative Waves.jpeg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

All I can say is "Wow!!"
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:35 am Joe,

read your original question, and my reply.
(Cue Cool Hand Luke ...)

Apparently you are saying that this QTPlasmaC can run the PlasmaCam table, but ... HOW? How do you connect a PC running QTPlasmaC to the PlasmaCam table and run the three motors, and fire the torch without the parallel cable, the main wiring harness or the controller box?

Okay, we REMOVE the PlasmaCam controller box. Now we have a table with three motors connected to the main wiring harness that pokes out of the vertical mast. Do you somehow connect the main wiring harness from the table directly to the PC ... through some adapter? Do you toss the main harness, or cut it and patch in some other wires?

You are presumably not using the parallel cable, and you are not using the controller box, but you say that you CAN operate the PlasmaCam table's two servo motors and one stepper motor, and fire the torch using ONLY a PC and QTPlasmaC software. Is no other component necessary? Some digital control panel or something?

At the bottom of your link, after scrolling though a lot of techno-gibberish, it talks about
RS485 interfaces that are known to work:
DTECH DT-5019 USB to RS485 converter adapter:

Apparently these connect the PC to the plasma cutter, but what connects the PC to the TABLE?

At least that is how I am reading this. :roll: I would love to see detailed instructions on how to accomplish this. I would only do it once, just as proof of concept, but I don't see how it is beneficial over the operation of the table through DesignEdge software, operating the table and torch through the controller box.

Without the advantage of the DesignEdge software, I wonder, why bother to do all of that at all, when you can just get a table that is NOT made by PlasmaCam?

It sounds like YOU are saying, "You've already given PlasmaCam your money. Now you have this (blue, or red, or green) table with two servo motors and a stepper Z motor. Get rid of the controller box. Delete DesignEdge software, and run your table using QTPlasmaC"

If that is the case, what do you use to design the vector art, and create the cut files? DesignEdge does it all, but the other tables use what ... THREE separate programs to accomplish the same tasks?
robertspark wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:09 pm and my reply was:

linuxcnc, QTPlasmaC
http://linuxcnc.org/
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... asmac.html
I never said linuxcnc would run on a torchmate or plasmacam CONTROLLER.

I said linuxcnc / QtPlasmaC would run the TABLE which was your question.

throw the controller in the BIN and stop supporting poor customer service and arrogant manufacturers and suppliers.
Okay, I went to the QTPlasmaC link you provided. Do you honestly see this as an IMPROVEMENT over DesignEdge and the controller box?

Why does it feel as if we are having the circa 1980's PC vs. MAC discussion? :lol: The PC people (read: YOU) like to Frankenstein their PCs together, by adding circuit boards, and swapping chips, and using EPROM burners, and messing with HEXIDECIMAL CODES and such. They like to TWEAK their computers. The MAC people (read: ME) just want to plug the printer, or scanner, or whatever and have it JUST WORK.

That is what the PlasmaCam table does. It just works. Owners do not have to worry about G-Code, or the inner workings of the software. That is in FACT, where DesignEdge has THE EDGE over the competition.

This is a lot of EYE CANDY but 95% of this screen is completely unnecessary for the purpose of cutting out a shape.
qtplasmac_16x9.png
qtplasmac_16x9.png (153.56 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
you bitch and moan endlessly about customer support and imply that being locked in to using a piece of software such as the educational licence of torchmate.

my reply if you read it again directly after your bitch and moan about the customer satisfaction survey was
robertspark wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:34 am that is why i use linux + freeware extensively now..... no fusion 360 etc etc.
librecad
freecad
inkscape
gimp
linuxcnc
Correction ... FIVE software programs you use to replace DesignEdge.
..... no dick turpin style handover the cash or you don't get yo update your software (blue and yellow boat anchors included).

There are just too many good and free software options available that are well developed to tie ones self to something daft like a hardware of software lock.....

openoffice / libre office etc.
handing over cash for something intangible is just daft for me, YMMV

then again if you'd like a digital artwork making, I'm sure I could rustle up something for you for a cool $50 million plus (timewasters need not apply):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
I see where you are coming from now. You just don't believe that you should pay for ANY software. Everything should be FREEEEEE!!!!
I honestly am trying to avoid reading any of your posts as you just have too many negative waves and bitch and moan about everything absolutely everything that does not meet your expectations or requirements.

hence why I avoided continuing this discussion as I could see that it would just end in a measuring competition.

but you keep poking for a reply ...
No, I respond to comments. YOU are not required to read anything I post here. Reading my responses, and then replying to them is a choice YOU MAKE.
again if you want to stop supporting what you perceive as bad customer support and being locked in to one supplier with a bad attitude to customer support .... be the controller of your own destiny and try opensource and try to run your plasmacam or torchmate TABLE (not the controller) on linuxcnc + QtPlasmaC.
After carefully perusing your link, I have concluded that I would NEVER invest that much time and energy into learning that cluster^%&* of high school geekscript that you endorse so enthusiastically. I can design and cut ANYTHING using DesignEdge, with the PlasmaCam tables and the hallowed controller box, a dozen times faster than you could ever HOPE to achieve with your alternatives.
honestly, spend a few dollars and buy some Mesa hardware and get an old pc to run linuxcnc and have a go at RUNNING one of your TABLES on linuxcnc.
I see ... so I am not really "RUNNING" my table by using DesignEdge, right? I'll give you a moment to pull your shirt back down after pounding your chest so energetically. :lol:
try opensource where you cannot moan about customer support as YOU have full control to change and modify the software to YOUR requirements.
AFTER going through the arduous learning curve that would be absolutely required, of course.
if you have a spare controller and you open it up i am sure you can probably figure out how to directly control the servo drives / drivers with linuxcnc without the front end functionality of plasmacam or torchmate software.
Right. Because computer circuitry, chip programming, and a comprehensive knowledge of the design and function of all electronic components, combined with an in depth understanding of computer languages are a part of every student's general educational curriculum in America. :roll:
sure you loose the functionality to draw shapes or trace artwork as I presume the plasmacam or torchmate software does.... but then you won't need to endlessly moan about how you feel you have been shafted by poor customer support.
Endlessly? :lol:
I would rather not continue this discussion any further as I'm sure you will only bitch and moan about something else (linuxcnc won't do XYZ... it's OPENSOURCE... change it!!!! sure you will have to learn how to code maybe or ask on the forum for advice) you have your perception and expectation of the world as you see it and wow it is so negative about absolutely everything, whether it's about customer service, support, covid, Californians or whatever
and we finally get to the CRUX of the matter!
I suffer from depression so I don't need the negative waves and really avoid your posts as best as I can on an open forum.

I've tried my best to avoid replying to this one, but it seems you won't give up
I COMMAND YOU to read and respond to every post I put up anywhere on the Internet! YOU HAVE NO FREE WILL!!!! :lol:

Don't blame ME for your inability to to convince me that YOU are right.
I'm sure I've read you have suffered from blood pressure or heart issues, so a bit of positivity will probably help you out.
I am positive that the PlasmaCam is the best choice for the home hobbyist metal art folks. The tables are good, the software is good, but could be better. The company is a PITA to deal with, but I didn't buy the company. I bought their products.
good luck, have fun and try opensource where it is what YOU make of it
Do you bake your own bread too?
if you want a measuring competition, then yes I'm sure plasmacam or torchmate tables are the best and greatest and have software that does everything brilliant and perfect, it's quicker than anything else on offer, etc etc. good luck with that and then don't bitch and moan about it or customer service or licencing or whatever
The functionality of the SOFTWARE and the operation of the TABLE are completely separate issues from Customer Service and licensing of the software, and the additional seats, and so forth. It is silly to lump them together.

Tell me Robert, how to I get in touch with you, and what forms do I need to fill out ... you know ... to get your permission to have and express my opinion on any given topic?

Joe

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:40 am All I can say is "Wow!!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Please post your edu file so we can take a look.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:25 am
I very much agree. This is pretty much the same thing as the pcm to dxf situation. There are some who no longer have their Plasmacam table or the software, but who still have their pcm files and wish to convert them to dxf. I get requests for this conversion all the time.
David
I tell my clients to SAVE their files as .pcm files for convenience, but ALSO export those same files in .dxf format, just in case.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

AJNess822
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by AJNess822 »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm

I'm a High School Welding Teacher. [..] I have a file that I need to cut that took me several hours to create and went to convert it so my new table would accept the file but I can not convert it to DXF. [..]
Hmmm... I have demonstrated that I can convert these files. I have offered to convert his file for free. Now I get no response either here, or via email.

What am I to conclude from this? :roll:

Joe
If you send me a ZIP Folder with these EDU files Id like to take a crack at it (I have TM Software).
Bodor 12KW Laser Tabe (8'X20')
Lincoln Accumove 3
Hypertherm Powermax 1650
7'x20' Table (plasma and torch)
Mobile Welding (Miller Big 40)
Magnetic Particle and Liquid Dye Testing (Level II)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AJNess822 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm

If you send me a ZIP Folder with these EDU files Id like to take a crack at it (I have TM Software).
The original OP has not been active since his first post back in February of this year, so i doubt he will see you offer. But there may be others here who do read this and may need your help. Thanks for offering your assistance.
David

Return to “Torchmate Software”