Old PlasmaCam

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
openwheel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Old PlasmaCam

Post by openwheel »

I work with my local Votech school and PlasmaCam told them they had to spend $3k to upgrade their machine just to see if there were other problems. My question is can another software work without the expense?

Openwheel
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Old PlasmaCam

Post by see&see »

openwheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm I work with my local Votech school and PlasmaCam told them they had to spend $3k to upgrade their machine just to see if there were other problems. My question is can another software work without the expense?
Openwheel
The short answer is no... Their controller is useless without their software. The 3K upgrade reflects the "I got ya" attitude we've all seen lately..

As of the past year or so PlasmaCam has turned into a cartel type operation in my opinion. I renamed them the "PlasmaCartel"..

I'm told what they are using is called vendor lock-in or "AntiPattern". When updates occur, which has been 10 or so in the last year the software changes will create interoperability and as PlasmaCartel users all know the problems have been rampant.

They now have purposely made certain systems inoperable like the Mac and Windows when running software like Team Viewer and many others. I'm no longer able to use my Mac computer in the office for drawing using Design Edge which I paid $500 to have that 1 extra seat I now cannot use..

They've crossed the line and the banned software list is growing with every update. Their actions beg for a class action lawsuit IMO..
Attachments
We got ya!
We got ya!
lock-in.gif (62.44 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

openwheel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm I work with my local Votech school and PlasmaCam told them they had to spend $3k to upgrade their machine just to see if there were other problems. My question is can another software work without the expense?

Openwheel
Not without major component replacement, no. That said, if they have a DHC2 then the software upgrade (should be $2k) is well worth it and a great investment in my opinion. If it is the DHC machine then I'd weight all the options first.

I am not affiliated with Plasmacam - I teach workshops across the US on the software and tables. I also work with many schools when they need help and am teaching a 3-day In-Service for Oklahoma Vo-ag High School Educators in June. Despite the melodramatic narrative of a select few, the tables work great and are used by thousands daily. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone and try to diagnose any issues you're having so you could know the state of the machine before they consider spending for the upgrade. My telephone number and email are on the Contact page of my website and the link to it is in my signature.

- Robert
see&see

Post by see&see »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 am I teach workshops across the US on the software and tables. I also work with many schools when they need help and am teaching a 3-day In-Service for Oklahoma Vo-ag High School Educators in June.

Despite the melodramatic narrative of a select few, the tables work great and are used by thousands daily. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone and try to diagnose any issues you're having so you could know the state of the machine before they consider spending for the upgrade. My telephone number and email are on the Contact page of my website and the link to it is in my signature.

- Robert
Much more than a "few" Robert..

I see we have another obligatory attempt to create a paid training opportunity down the road. :roll:

There's a number of paid advertisers here with great products that help support the forum Robert.. Why not join them?

--Paul
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

see&see wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:15 am
rdj357 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 am I teach workshops across the US on the software and tables. I also work with many schools when they need help and am teaching a 3-day In-Service for Oklahoma Vo-ag High School Educators in June.

Despite the melodramatic narrative of a select few, the tables work great and are used by thousands daily. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone and try to diagnose any issues you're having so you could know the state of the machine before they consider spending for the upgrade. My telephone number and email are on the Contact page of my website and the link to it is in my signature.

- Robert
Much more than a "few" Robert..

I see we have another obligatory attempt to create a paid training opportunity down the road. :roll:

There's a number of paid advertisers here with great products that help support the forum Robert.. Why not join them?

--Paul
Absolutely yes, I make people aware that I offer training as a part of my business. I also spend countless hours helping people for free and since I love doing so, will continue as I'm able.

I have paid for advertisement here on this forum and will be contacting them again soon to add a banner again for the upcoming classes in Las Vegas and Charlotte, NC this year.

As for the number of complainers and your concern about how I run my business: Considering the number of tables that Plasmacam has out there, the number of people fueling drama are statistically very low. Of the 70+ owners I've had in classes, they've all been pleased with the workshop and what the table can do when set and run well.

As the old southern saying goes, 'Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy."
openwheel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by openwheel »

Thanks guys I will talk to the teacher and get more info then help them make a decision

Openwheel
openwheel
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by openwheel »

Thanks guys I will talk to the teacher and get more info then help them make a decision

Openwheel
see&see

Post by see&see »

rdj357 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:48 am
I have paid for advertisement here on this forum and will be contacting them again soon to add a banner again for the upcoming classes in Las Vegas and Charlotte, NC this year.

As for the number of complainers and your concern about how I run my business: Considering the number of tables that Plasmacam has out there, the number of people fueling drama are statistically very low. Of the 70+ owners I've had in classes, they've all been pleased with the workshop and what the table can do when set and run well.

As the old southern saying goes, 'Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy."
Could have fooled me, I've never seen your banner up here and I'm here a lot....

I have never made any complaints on your classes or how you run your business.. The classes you have on PlasmaCam are helpful to a lot of PC owners.

Forum rules are a different topic though ....

Did you forget what you wrote? "Despite the melodramatic narrative of a select few"

it’s fairly melodramatic in itself to assume you’re the last word on who is melodramatic. :D

This "saying" applies here as well: “The criticism revolves around blaming other people for not having the qualities that we think we have.”
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

see&see wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:37 pm
Could have fooled me, I've never seen your banner up here and I'm here a lot....
Sorry you missed it, it was up for 3 months.

I know exactly what I said. My pan of biscuits is too full to worry about yours, bye bye.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

'Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy."
Thanks for that.....will go over well in these here mountains! Thanks for your videos, keep up the good work.

Dave Hanks
Casaba
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Casaba »

You need a new saying Paul… Changing one word and using the same quote on multiple sites just seems shallow and pedantic… Yes I enjoy Family Guy BTW

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”