Delayed responses on Design Edge

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
dandeliondecor
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Delayed responses on Design Edge

Post by dandeliondecor »

My DesignEdge has a delay and it's driving me nuts. I click and it takes a while for it to respond. Can anyone tell me why it's doing this? Other programs on my computer are working at normal speed. I do not have internet. I have cleared my cache, deleted large files and apps, and rebooted everything. I have to wait about 5-10 seconds to load a cut path on each letter, use trim/extend, move an object, etc. I can't get anything done.

Thank you!

Trisha
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Delayed responses on Design Edge

Post by adbuch »

Hi Trish,
You mentioned that Design Edge is working fine on your other computer. If you are using the same version on both computers, then maybe try loading on a fresh version on the shop computer. Otherwise perhaps try using a different computer. Does your shop computer have the minimum software/hardware level specified by Plasmacam?
David
dandeliondecor
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dandeliondecor »

Yes, I purchased it all together, so it should be compatible. It has been running great for over 2 years and just now started doing this. Do I have to have internet to load a fresh version?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Doesn't design edge like to periodically phone home .... And then stop working demanding an upgrade and cash injection
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

robertspark wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:43 pm Doesn't design edge like to periodically phone home .... And then stop working demanding an upgrade and cash injection
No.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

dandeliondecor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am Yes, I purchased it all together, so it should be compatible. It has been running great for over 2 years and just now started doing this. Do I have to have internet to load a fresh version?
You can either load DE via internet, or on a stand-alone computer using access code. You best bet would be to contact Plasmacam directly for the details to uninstall and reinstall DE.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

robertspark wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:43 pm Doesn't design edge like to periodically phone home .... And then stop working demanding an upgrade and cash injection
Nope. There was a tin-foil hat guy that believed that but it's just not true.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

rdj357 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:09 pm
Nope. There was a tin-foil hat guy that believed that but it's just not true.
thanks for that I thought I'd read a few forum posts with someone moaning over it and how upset he was etc etc. I won't perpetuate the myth.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

YES. DesignEdge phones home if your PC is connected to the Internet.

If it is NOT connected, the software will begin to give you problems after some nefarious period of time passes, and suddenly you will get the "Config.sys file corrupt" error message. Your option then is to download the newest version of DE and install it onto that PC, or re-install your current version, but most people do not bother to record the User Code and User Key when they install the software, along with the date and time of the installation.

You CAN download DE from the Owners Community onto a thumb drive, and manually load it onto your PC, but you will have to copy-n-paste the User Key from the activation window of the Owners Community onto the PC that is not connected to the Net.

You are using DesignEdge Software! (Insert lightning and thunder here.) Resistance is futile. Non-conformity will not be tolerated! :HaHa
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Yes. Design Edge verifies its license if connected to the internet.

No, there is no magical time bomb if not. Having spoken to hundreds of owners, this just isn't true. There is no lightning or thunder. Yes, it is possible that the configuration file can become corrupt on the hard drive. Every time there is a setting change this file is updated. I don't have any empirical evidence to date but I'd imagine switching to an SSD would reduce these problems. I've not yet had it happen in 10 years of use.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”