Windows 11 and DesignEdge v 4.54 Issues?

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Windows 11 and DesignEdge v 4.54 Issues?

Post by Joe Jones »

I am getting the calls now ... four, so far ... People are buying new laptops and towers with Windows 11 on them.

Apparently, Windows 11 WILL NOT allow DesignEdge v. 4.54 to be installed onto the PC, and installing DesignEdge v. 4.53 onto a Windows 11 PC is a real fight! The Geek Squad at Best Buy has to FIGHT with the o/s to install DE v. 4.53 onto a PC with Windows 11 software on it.

Apparently, PlasmaCam offers NO SUPPORT for installing their latest software onto PCs that are running Windows 11.

I am being told that PlasmaCam's answer is, "That is your problem... go get your computer fixed ... " :Wow

If Windows 11 will not allow DesignEdge to be installed onto a PC using that operating system, then Houston! We have a problem!

I sincerely HOPE that PlasmaCam will not kick the can down the road and "solve" your problem by telling you to go find a good Windows 10 PC and install DesignEdge onto THAT PC. That may work for a year or two, but eventually, people will begin to move up to Windows 11, RIGHT?

I don't have a Windows 11 PC here in my home. But I am going to update ONE of my Windows 10 PCs to version 4.54 to see what changed, IF ANYTHING. I suspect that a move from 4.53 to 4.54 is little more than another effort to prevent software piracy, or whatever. PlasmaCam never gives us a README.TXT file telling us what changed, or what was added or omitted with the new version. We are just supposed to install it and remain silent.

I darned sure HOPE they have NOT killed the ability to web conference with DesignEdge via ZOOM or the other online meeting software. PlasmaCam killed TeamViewer a few years ago. I understand why they did that, but it sure made it difficult to help people with the software over the Internet.

The adventure continues ....

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Re: Windows 11 and DesignEdge v 4.54 Issues?

Post by Joe Jones »

On my Windows 10 Surface Pro Tablet PC, version 4.54 installed without any issues. It is curious to note that there are NO apparent changes to the software. Everything looks and works as before. :roll:

I can only assume that v. 4.55 isn't far off, after PlasmaCam figures out how to install their software onto a PC running Windows 11.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Windows 11 and DesignEdge v 4.54 Issues?

Post by rdj357 »

I've not heard from anyone thus far with any issues. I have one laptop upgraded to Windows 11 that I later updated Design Edge to 4.54 with no issues.

I also have 3.11 running a table with Windows 11.

There were no notes with the release so I don't know what the update changed. Anything beyond saying one does not know would be speculation.

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”