PlasmaCam is behind the times

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

PlasmaCam is behind the times

Post by Joe Jones »

I like the software, and I like my quirky table. I happen to have ten DesignEdge seats for my plasma table.

So as time has passed, THREE of the PCs that have the seats on them are no longer convenient. One Surface PRO tablet PC works great, but I am not using it. The second Surface PRO is DEAD. The battery will not charge and it will not boot up. The third seat is on an old Toshiba laptop running Windows 98. I tested it for signs of life a few days ago. It took nearly 2-1/2 hours to boot up to the desktop. :lol: So the Toshiba is on its last leg too.

So I went to Best Buy and purchased three brand new, spiffy DELL Inspirion 7000 laptops, running Windows 11. I decided to move those three seats to these new laptops. This will make it easier to do remote on-site training sessions, since I won't need to lug three PC towers, separate monitors, cords," wall warts," etc. along. Training will now be crisp and clean, no caffeine!

Today I called PlasmaCam to move the three seats to the new laptops. Of course, this is like asking God to part the Red Sea. This should be a SIMPLE, ONLINE, AUTOMATIC process. Shut down PCs 1,2 and 3, and move the DesignEdge seats to PCs 4,5, and 6.

PlasmaCam has some slow, arduous, manual method of moving seats, and nothing is ever done quickly. I would almost SWEAR that their company records are kept on 3"x5" index cards stored in long wooden drawers, in old wooden public library book directory cabinets. :lol:

I am packing for a short visit to a friend in another State, and I want to take these laptops along for a bit of experimentation in the logistics exercise of simply BRINGING them along. I bought the stacking black tool totes from Lowes. The bottom tote has the wheels, and two more stack on top, and lock down with a nifty mechanism, so the whole thing becomes a single unit on wheels, about the size of a trash compactor. The bottom box holds the laptops and power supplies. The other two totes have the wireless keyboards and mice, external USB drives, parallel cables, etc. It is amazing, how much STUFF I take along.

Here I sit, waiting ... waiting ... for the installation of DesignEdge on the new laptops to be activated. I get the, "BUY MORE SEATS!" error, but I am not buying more seats... I am only MOVING three seats to new computers. When I call, they claim to be "extremely busy," selling tables and accessories, and parts, and doing tech support. :roll:

GOD FORBID PlasmaCam should ever pass along Robert Johnson's email, or MY email, or that of a half-dozen other people who come to mind. If only they gave these contacts to new owners who want to get up to speed on the software quickly. PlasmaCam doesn't seem to realize that the efforts by those who coach "newbies" translates into happy table owners, and customers who PURCHASE the various upgrades, parts and accessories, based entirely on OUR recommendations!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: PlasmaCam is behind the times

Post by AREA »

That's ridiculous, I can't believe people put up with that crap. I guess once they rope you in they have you invested and figure your not going anywhere else.
Joe Jones

Re: PlasmaCam is behind the times

Post by Joe Jones »

Their business model is not conducive to public relations, for sure. They are trying. I like the guys who work there. I just can’t understand why a simple thing like moving a software seat to another PC is not online and automatic. You should be able to log into their site with the old PC (if it is running) and register it as the “seat to be moved.” Then log in with the new PC and load the available seat onto that PC.

Anyway, I brought the laptops with me, but I have not yet taken the time to try to move the seats. I may do that tomorrow morning. I sure hope this goes smoothly!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Plasmacam - DesignEdge”