Xbox 360 wireless controller with windows XP/mach3

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Xbox 360 wireless controller with windows XP/mach3

Post by kn612 »

Is anyone using a wireless xbox controller with an older windows computer?

I cant find a driver to run the wireless adapter on this older parallel port windows computer. I was able to use this wireless controller on my first table that i built that ran windows 7 and mach 3. It was handy.

Current table has old candcnc bladerunner parallel port. I have a pn200 but do not like dragging the cord around.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Xbox 360 wireless controller with windows XP/mach3

Post by acourtjester »

If you are looking to move the axis only you can use a wireless keyboard. This is what I use just take it to the table when you want to move the axis.
You use the arrow keys and page up and down to move the 3 axis around. I buy the ones with a wireless mouse with it too. Walmart has them for less than $20. There are also wireless keypads that are smaller and work great too. keys 2, 4, 6, 8, page up, and page down di the same thing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234486923516?h ... SwCbNiQ9X3
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I tried to use the wireless controller on my Mach 3 Ethernet computer. The controller kept crashing Mach3 when it went to sleep while cutting. We're you able to overcome this?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Using a wireless keyboard now. It's better than nothing when lining zero up to cut. The Xbox controller was the way to go. Programmed buttons to start cut, reset, come out of reset, control all axis, set zero, etc. I know the pn200 can do all those things and more but it's another cord string out, have to plug 4 port hub in everytime.

When the xbox controller went to sleep on my other mach3 table that used ethernet and cslabs csmio controller it wouldn't crash mach3. Sometimes I had to restart mach3 for the controller to function again but it never messed up any cut.

I've been looking into putting a different motion controller on this table. Linuxcnc if mesa hardware becomes available or centroids acorn. The acorn looks nice. Either has better wireless control from the looks of it
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Okay, so you had the same issue with Mach crashing. I was hoping you'd solved that. I went back to the wired Xbox controller, but wireless would be nice.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:11 pm If you are looking to move the axis only you can use a wireless keyboard. This is what I use just take it to the table when you want to move the axis.
You use the arrow keys and page up and down to move the 3 axis around. I buy the ones with a wireless mouse with it too. Walmart has them for less than $20. There are also wireless keypads that are smaller and work great too. keys 2, 4, 6, 8, page up, and page down di the same thing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234486923516?h ... SwCbNiQ9X3
I do that as well with my Mach3 controlled cnc router. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard and take it to the table as Tom does. Just use the up/down and arrow keys.
Very handy.
David
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

kn612 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:57 pm
I've been looking into putting a different motion controller on this table. Linuxcnc if mesa hardware becomes available or centroids acorn. The acorn looks nice. Either has better wireless control from the looks of it
Have a look at the MP3700. Its got everything the Acorn has and comes with the PC with Drawing, CAD and CAM software preloaded.. It also works with all of our options for Linux including our new RC400 Wireless Android Remote Console. Lots more than a simple pendant.Might be too expensive for hobby use but saves a lot of time in a commercial or production shop.

The reason we did not go wireless on the older PN200 is we had too many wireless keyboards and mice lose connection or lock up in a plasma environment. Bluetooth and wireless 2.5G devices are short range and not super reliable.

The RC400 is full 802.11 WIFI with error correction and retry on data. If the table is cutting and you lose connection it ESTOPS and shuts off the torch.
kn612

Post by kn612 »

Tom that pendant looks really nice. It must not have been available yet when I was looking to upgrade controllers. My favorite function of the pn200 is adjusting dthc volts on the fly away from the computer.

I went down the qtplasmac/linuxcnc rabbit hole. Working on a 7i96s thcad 10 controller when time permits. The qtplasmac interface is really good but for those that want to get up and cutting as soon as possible with little experience I don't recommend it. Linuxcnc has been a challenge learning but I remember a time when mach3 felt impossible too. It's all pretty fun. Cnc plasma is pretty addictive.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

CommandCNC is a version of Linuxcnc with enhancements and some useful companion apps that make setting it up and using it a lot easier. Rather than shove everything into software we have always used a mix of embedded processors and firmware along with LinuxCNC'sRealTime Kernel and amazing speeds. We have front end controller (no motors, drivers or power supply) in a turn key case that is useful in doing general retrofits on tables that have working linear components. Its also good for a DIY scratch build and lets you concentrate on the mechanical and driver parts Its a cost effective way to do an upgrade or retrofit and it ships with a preloaded quad processor mini PC preloaded with sample "Profiles" for plasma and router. We have one for oxy-fuel too. The MP3700 is comparable with all of the new options including the RC400 (or you can continue to use the PN200) Best part is you have someone to call and get help . We also have made it easy to upgrade our older complete controllers all the way back to the older MACH3 Bladerunner parallel port version . YOu get back a running Commandcnc system with new mini PC and direct Ethernet connection. Latest front end hardware and software for about 1/2 the cost of a new unit.
kn612

Post by kn612 »

https://www.s-config.com/china-xbox-wir ... indows-xp/

I was able to find and successfully install wireless xbox360 driver on the windows xp computer on the plasma table. Everything works without any crashes. Even when the controller goes to sleep I am able to power it back on, everything works and I don't have to restart mach3 like I did with my previous mach3 ethernet setup. I don't know why it is different on this one, maybe the parallel port connection?

I'm trying to get all the performance I can out of this old bladerunner mach3/parallel port machine. As long as its earning its keep it can stick around
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

kn612 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:04 pm https://www.s-config.com/china-xbox-wir ... indows-xp/

I was able to find and successfully install wireless xbox360 driver on the windows xp computer on the plasma table. Everything works without any crashes. Even when the controller goes to sleep I am able to power it back on, everything works and I don't have to restart mach3 like I did with my previous mach3 ethernet setup. I don't know why it is different on this one, maybe the parallel port connection?

I'm trying to get all the performance I can out of this old bladerunner mach3/parallel port machine. As long as its earning its keep it can stick around
That's great, I am the same, keep tweaking things and squeeze all the life you can out of your equipment :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

kn612 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:04 pm https://www.s-config.com/china-xbox-wir ... indows-xp/

Great to hear you've got your problem solved.
David

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”