IJ appears all whack

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

IJ appears all whack

Post by rbmgf7 »

My original PC went out a while back so I had a backup laptop to use until I replaced the PC in the cabinet. So between the old PC and temporary laptop, everything ran fine.

This past weekend I finally replaced the PC with a new Win10 and now my cuts are all whack. The Mach3 settings are identical to what works on the laptop. It jogs just fine on the new PC but when I go to run a part, it's like the program is being selective.

I cut parts that look like a 4 leave clover with a circle in the middle. Normal cut: I have a perpendicular lead-in and arc-lead out on the inner circle and same lead-in/lead-out for the outer clover. On the new PC, I don't get a lead in or out on the inner circle. Then when it goes to the outer layer: no lead-in, starts fine with a couple IJ moves, IJ starts to get screwy quarter of the way, then halfway it just Y-minuses a straight line. Switch back to the old PC, same program, and it cuts fine. I tried three times and the problems repeated. Has to be a setting problem but can't figure out what due to the nature of the problem.

General, motor, I/O settings are the same. Moves are all in absolute like how the program is written and how I had it set on the last two computers. Only thing I can say is a lot different is the ESS plugin version. It's the newest version. Pretty sure I was using a 2 or 3 year old version beforehand on a Win7 computers.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: IJ appears all whack

Post by weldguy »

Thats a bummer. I am not familiar with Mach but it sounds like the problem may not be with Mach but rather Sheetcam or whatever program you use to generate your code. Sounds like its not adding the lead in/out. I could be way off but just a thought in hopes that it helps.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

weldguy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am Thats a bummer. I am not familiar with Mach but it sounds like the problem may not be with Mach but rather Sheetcam or whatever program you use to generate your code. Sounds like its not adding the lead in/out. I could be way off but just a thought in hopes that it helps.
There's no change to the program. It's the same one I've run for years.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I hear ya I was just wondering if you did a fresh install of Sheetcam or whatever program you use on the new PC and it's not configured the same as it was before. Just trying to help, good luck.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I've heard that Windows 10 does not play nicely with CNC, something to do with windows running off to do something else while you're cutting.
You might try putting your computer in Airplane mode to see if that helps.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

rbmgf7

Can you post the two Mach3 profiles? to compare [you may need to change the file extension to something like *.txt to upload]

We can then take a look.

What graphics card do you have on the new PC / laptop?
Have you checked if you have the latest graphics card drivers?
What lookahead do you have set?

Sometimes..... you can get issues because of graphics card drivers + assignment of RAM .... how much RAM does your new PC / laptop have (how much is assigned to the graphics card)

What processor does the new machine have ?? (some of them have intergrated graphics cards.)

I don't use an ESS any more (sold it) but when I did the Mach3 version to run was *.062 as the stable version. I have since heard that because of W10, a plugin / update had to be installed because something in W10 + updates broke Mach3..... [I also do not use Mach3.... but still have a copy loaded.... just not to use so can take a look at your profiles for your]
here is the official version on the Warp9 website with 062+fix
https://warp9td.com/index.php/sw/software-mach

there was a piece of software called XML Notepad, which I think from memory could compare the profiles side by side
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... px?id=7973

gcode is gcode.... it doesn't really change.... the motion controller (ESS) or interpreter (Mach3) can have problems with it but this is normally due to the amount of memory, or some other setting
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

Yeah, doesn't make sense. I went back to try and troubleshoot some more and for some reason it cut about a third of the program just fine then it went all whack. Does it without the torch on, too. I just decided to upgrade to Mach4. I did a little research and it seems like Mach3 on Win10 is a bit cumbersome so best to just avoid it.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”