Attachments
plasma5.docx
(110.83 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch turns on during travel

Post by acourtjester »

here is what the XML file is labeled, if your says DEMO that should be without a license
mach.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

here it is
Attachments
Plasma2.zip
(23.91 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When you reinstalled did you copy their DLL file and select their system in the plugin menu?
Novusun16.JPG
Novusun17.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

Plasma2.odt
(29.87 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:17 pm When you reinstalled did you copy their DLL file and select their system in the plugin menu?
Novusun16.JPG
Novusun17.JPG
Yes I did.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Did theat company supply you with a Post Processor file to use for generating a G-code in SheetCam?
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:23 pm Did theat company supply you with a Post Processor file to use for generating a G-code in SheetCam?
No they didnt. I use the Post Processor on sheet cam that is Mach3 plasma
Attachments
post processor.jpg
post processor.jpg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

The problem is the post processor is written for for the electronics, as they are not all have standard configurations. There is a great amount of info in the post processor as to the very things you are having problems with. This is why there are so many post processors listed in SheetCam.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:40 pm The problem is the post processor is written for for the electronics, as they are not all have standard configurations. There is a great amount of info in the post processor as to the very things you are having problems with. This is why there are so many post processors listed in SheetCam.
So should I just keep clicking on different ones to figure out which works the best or is there a way to find out which one I am suppose to use?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Did you also config that setup
Novusunxx.JPG
Novusunxx.JPG (52.48 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

yes. if it isnt checked then the computer doesnt talk to the machine. its a different name that what you posted, but when i go to the websight and go to the actual part I have, it has me download the one that i have checked
Attachments
plugin.jpg
plugin.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Sorry I have been shaking the internet looking fro info to help out, bummer seems like there is none.
here is the truth about Novusun
To tell you the truth, I got fed up with trying to get the Novusun working. After about a month of trying all kinds of tricks, calling people, and getting no help from Novusun, I broke down and bought the UC400ETH (~$150). from CNC4PC.com. It works GREAT right out of the box, no issues what so ever. I used this breakout board with it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Axis-CNC-...AAAOSwrFtaOM0E
everything working and the manual has all your Mach3 settings. I am using the CNC4PC software which works very well, and comes with the Ethernet controller, so no added expense there.
Bottom line, the faster you get rid of the Novusun, the quicker you will have a machine up and running.
https://www.cnczone.com/forums/controll ... um-11.html
Last edited by acourtjester on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Somewhat of a help I bought the UC400ETH and their software total about $210. (buying license for mach 3 or 4 will set you back about $175.) you will also need a standard parallel port BOB to work with it. It works fine and is somewhat different looking them Mach but not that hard to figure out.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

So you are saying scrap the Novusun and go with a different controller? That sucks. I have two of these pieces of junk in my garage, but you are right. I can keep spending time and energy messing with this or order something that works. That ebay link you posted i was not able to open.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That came from the CNCzone post I'm sure it's old and that is why it did not open.
this is what I bought and I use a Post Processor for SheetCam for the Price THC I have, There are other ones that will work with this setup. https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... ontroller/
You can download their software and other info from the web to get it running, they have to different looking screens you can use, I use the newer one (1.2112).
Have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

Thank you Tom. If i have anymore issues, I will let you know. Randy
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Understand there are other setups you can use, a change of electronics and software is needed. They have been discussed here like the LinuxCNC based plasma cutter setup.
I think the main problem with the setup you bought is it was not setup for plasma, I had looked at that package but it talked about many other CNC operations, not plasma. I bought a USB BOB which worked very well but only had 4 inputs, great for routing but not plasma, which setup the way I want needed 5 inputs.
Ask questions here many use different setup and can help you choose the next steps to get you running.
Another thing is you may contact Les from SheetCam to see if he can create a post processor for that package.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

The following is just some things to consider:

I would recommend checking that the firmware on your device is up to date (it can be downloaded from their website and it appears that if you click on the config button for the plugin you can update the firmware [note: you must maintain power to to PC and the motion controller during the firmware update or you could brick the device]
2020-09-13 14_07_08-Mach3.png
2020-09-13 14_06_14-NVCM-novcnc controller.png
Some things for you to be aware of:
1) your G4 dwell is set a mSec (this is ok, but you need to be aware of it with your post processor as it may output the dwell in Seconds. Also not that SOME motion controllers only work in seconds eg the smooth stepper had this problem at one time where it only liked the dwell in mSec or Sec or visa-versa
2) you are probably best to increase the lookahead to 200 lines as this is the general advice for motion controllers use and Mach3 because I "think" that it affects the buffer .... having it large should not affect anything given the gcode will just be buffered by the Mach3 planner.
3) you probably want to enable "Plasma Mode" given you are using Mach3 in a Plasma Application..... the details of "Plasma Mode" are a bit sketchy (but what isn't with Mach3.... with lacking updated manuals etc)....
have a read of this document and you will know as much as I do about lookahead and plasma, CV tolerance etc (and I know very little! but enough to get me by when I used Mach3): https://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/ ... ngs_v2.pdf
2020-09-13 14_09_34-Mach3.png
Now I am not 100% certain that this IS your problem, but I suspect that you need to define your Plasma Torch fire signal as using relays and set the corresponding outputs correctly to M3 for the plasma torch. You also need to set the spin-up and spind down dwell to ZERO as this may actually be creating YOUR issue (it may not but it is worth checking).
Good luck.
2020-09-13 14_13_44-Mach3.png
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

Thank you for the info. I did change the recommendations that you have sent. When Disable Spindle Relay is checked then the torch doesnt fire. is there another way for M3 to fire with out going threw the spindle control? Also, I do not have feed back from my motors to say where the motors or Z axis is. could they be traveling to slow? Is there a certain speed they should be traveling at? My Z takes about 11.13 seconds to travel 2.5''. X travels 30'' in about 7 seconds, Y travels 30'' in about 7.5 seconds
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Rcmcustoms wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:41 am Thank you for the info. I did change the recommendations that you have sent. When Disable Spindle Relay is checked then the torch doesnt fire. is there another way for M3 to fire with out going threw the spindle control? Also, I do not have feed back from my motors to say where the motors or Z axis is. could they be traveling to slow? Is there a certain speed they should be traveling at? My Z takes about 11.13 seconds to travel 2.5''. X travels 30'' in about 7 seconds, Y travels 30'' in about 7.5 seconds

Sorry, I forgot that Mach3 is odd, in that its a checkbox to DISABLE Spindle relays and not enable them.

Have any of the other changes done anything ? (like removing the spin up and spin down delays)?
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

Them setting that i have changed, doest seam to have done much change to anything.
Rcmcustoms
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rcmcustoms »

Here are the settings for Motor Y and Motor Z. Y is a nema 34 on rack and pinion set up. Motor Z is ball screw with a nema 23
Attachments
motorZ.jpg
motorZ.jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
motorY.jpg
motorY.jpg (20.75 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It is very hard to see but it looks like the Z velocity is 15.998 and the Acceleration is 75. I have always used a velocity that is 4 times the acceleration. Another thing is the speed in the g-code for the Z will also affect things. look at the F number.
these are things you can check in the MDI command box just to run a single line Like G1 Z1.5 F40 see how it moves change the F value up to increase its travel speed. Also if you use G0 Z1.5 it will travel as fast as it can no F value will be needed. Start with the Z DRO zeroed out too, it should move 1.5" up.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”