Trouble setting up new THC to Mach4

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
kgraves92
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Trouble setting up new THC to Mach4

Post by kgraves92 »

Building a 6'x12' Plasma table done tons of searching through the forums but still running into issues / have questions

I am running a Hypertherm Powermax1250, Ethernet Smooth Stepper with C25 Smooth Stepper LPT board, Gecko 320x Servo drivers for X, Y, Yslave and using Mach4. Mach4 and the X, Y, Yslave and all lim/home eStop switches work, (movement and triggers).

purchased
AHa-L2 Plasma arc voltage controller and Voltage divider https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 0438.htmll

Torch Lifter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001238 ... web201603_

controller currently allows for manual up and down of torch with its toggle switch.

1) I am having trouble trying to get it to "talk" with Mach4 for any motion controls (z +/-) (what to set the pins to be/control over the Z stepper motor)
2) Not sure how to set the inputs and outputs on the ESS
3) Not sure on the connections for the Voltage Divider Box
4) Nut sure about the pin out on the Hypertherm Powermax 1250

Sorry that is a lot but really stumped at this point and any advice or help is appreciated.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Trouble setting up new THC to Mach4

Post by tcaudle »

I may be wrong, but it appears that that that (and most of the Chinese THC's) are "stand alone" types, meaning they control the torch lifter motor (not Z) as it cuts based on the knob settings you are using. It says in their desription that the unit has it own stepper output and driver I don't know if it has any disable input (which would be nice to turn the unit on and off) or if it feeds back a "Hold" signal when its waiting for Arc OK to the control. We just did a retro on a China table with a similar THC setup and there was sparse integration with the motion control (also Chinese). A good THC is integrated in with the actual motion and allows you to use the Z as the torch lifter but also do the other outside functions . A lot of plasma is about timing and real time sync with the table position. Any anti-dive needs to know the real time cut parameters to be effective. Methinks you might want to look for a compatible THC to the ESS card that does not control the "Z" directly unless its part of the overall motion control software. I do know paying 600 bucks for a THC that won't integrate with the actual motion seems expensive.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”