THC question

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

THC question

Post by Revinvoss »

I would like to know what is meant to be displayed on the THC when the plasma CNC is running a job. Is it supposed to be displaying 3 dashes or displaying something else?

I believe I have set up the wiring correctly as per instructions, in mach3 it does indicate that the THC is active but, the problem I am having is my torch is cutting 1/2" above the job and not sitting at the recommended height for the metal thickness to get a quality cut.
I have set up a tool set for this job and set the tip height for it as well, the torch does not go to the new height, it is always staying at 1/2"
I am beginning to think that the THC is not functioning for some reason, even though it is on.
Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

If more info is need, I will gladly supply it.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC question

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! I would suggest that you reach out to Premier Plasma tech support to ask about your height control problem. I would guess that displaying 3 dashes is not normal, and that perhaps it should be displaying the cut height. Is there a specific manual that came with your table discussing setup and operation of your thc? If it is always cutting 1/2" away from the material, then I would expect you are getting terrible cuts. Perhaps post some photos. In the mean time, perhaps disable your thc and set your cut height manually. With your Hypertherm 45xp, cut height for steel should be 0.060" with a pierce height of 0.150". Cut speeds are listed in the Hypertherm manual in the mechanized cutting section.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

As David said I doubt 3 dashes is normal, I would expect it to display the current arc voltage when the torch is on. Is the torch actually ON, I am beginning to think your doing a "dry run" with the torch OFF. If this is the case that is likely why your seeing the dashes and definitely why your height control is not working. Your height control requires the torch to be ON and cutting properly for it to function. Will wait to hear back from you on whether your cutting or doing a dry run.
Revinvoss
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Revinvoss »

Thank you, guys. To let you know "weldguy" yes my torch is on and cutting the job but the THC only showing the three dashes.
I will contact Premier Plasma CNC for help.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

In that case you can determine if your height control is working by propping 1 end of a small piece of material up to create a ramp. Cut a straight line up that ramp and if your height control is working you will see the torch rise as it cuts up the ramp. As for the dashes your right a call to Premier may be the easiest solution. Best of luck.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”