PC not talking to Ubob 3

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
04dmax04
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PC not talking to Ubob 3

Post by 04dmax04 »

i have a ldr motion table. about a 2012, bought it used, had it working great in my shop for about 2 years. well my dell pc quit on me. local computer shop told me my motherboard crapped out. so i had them replace it with a used one because they said new parts are not available for these old dells. im running mach 3 on windows xp. i have brand new cand cnc ubob3, dthc, and pwm2. i already tried a new parallel port cable.no change. i have no jog for any axis. while in mach i use the keys to jog, the mach screen shows movement. however when i click torch on in mach the torch will fire and shut of on my command. so that tells me mach must e comunicating with the bob. is my pc not setup correctly?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: pc not talking to ubob 3

Post by acourtjester »

Ok first so you know telling Mach to move an axis and seeing the DRO move with out the axis actually moving, is normal as there is no feed back.
This can mean you did not have the Posts and Pins setup in the Config correctly or a wiring error. Also make sure no boxes are check as shown in the attached screen shot.
You say you have new CandCNC electronics did you ask them it it will work with Win XP. I had used CandCNC electronics years ago and cannot remember if their Posts and Pins were different then the standard pin numbers that Mach uses.
mach box.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: pc not talking to ubob 3

Post by weldguy »

Great advice from Tom. If your still having problems you should check to be sure the LPT port is enabled and you can do this be entering the BIOS screen for your motherboard. If LPT is not enabled you will get no action despite anything you do. Different motherboards may have a different means of ebtering the BIOS screen, some you tap F10 key while PC boots, some you tap DEL key while PC boots. Google how to enter BIOS on your brand of board and you can check to see if the LPT port is even enabled. Should be a tab in the BIOS for Onboard Devices that will give you this info. Its pretty easy so post back if your having issues.
04dmax04
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: PC not talking to Ubob 3

Post by 04dmax04 »

I have been into bios via F2 or F12. Lpt port in on and set to ECP. In ports and pins only port 1 box is enabled. 378. Same as what it says in bios. I just received a new 25 pin printer cable. No change. Put in my old breakout board (torch was stuck on originally so that's why I bought a reman from candcnc) still had no axis movement. That UBOB had no problems other than a burned out torch switch. I have another motherboard coming for the desktop. I have a hard time believing anything in my mach ports and pins settings changed
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a way to test the outputs of the parallel port.

I am an old troubleshooter, you may need to back up and look at other problems that may not be with the parallel post. From your statement the table that was working but stopped working. The computer could have failed as you suspect but it could be another component. Reloading the original software may need to be done also. I have had problems that a reload of Mach has fixed ( I think version 067), or reload the CandCNC software. Looking for help here is great as you hopefully get other members to give you their experiences with problems.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
04dmax04
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by 04dmax04 »

awesome video .i recieved my second motherboard for pc and still nothing. i know i do have an old version of mach 3. i should be able to download mach on my laptop, transfer it over via thumb drive? i will test my paralellel port when i can remember to bring my meter home from work lol
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

I read something about similar how did you reload MACH, did you instal mach 3 then use the installed off the CanCNC cd to set all the screen sets and such? Did you go back the through all the startup paper work to get PArallel ports set correctly

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”