Mach 3 Plasma Relay Ignition Problem

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Mach 3 Plasma Relay Ignition Problem

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Hello guys, I need to ask you for help with my problem. I purchased one of those 5 axis BoB and wired my plasma to the relay that's on it(pin17), but now i have a problem that whenever i try to start the torch by pressing F5 in mach 3, my desktop screen blinks and an emergency estop takes over. Once even my pc restarted. Any of you ran into a similar problem and knows what could be the issue?!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Relay Ignition Problem

Post by acourtjester »

In Mach 3 you need to use the correct pins for some items and make sure you are not using a pin for other functions at the same time. I think I used pin 9 and port 1 for troch trigger (relay trip)
pin 1.JPG
pin 2.JPG
pin 2.JPG (106.25 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
pin 3.JPG
pin 3.JPG (100.44 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
pin 4.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Dear sir, everything is according to your image with the exception that the Output 1 is on pin 17 and that's ok because the relay is working good when i turn off the plasma. My problem is when i turn on the plasma and press F5, the pc loses screen. Any chance i could use an external relay? I have a couple of 24v but if i need strictly 5v i would buy one, just please let me know how would i wire it to the plasma/powersupply/db25 connector.
Thank you a lot for the time you spent to help me.
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Problem solved by myself, i used Chat GPT for some help, one other small issue im having is the thc on button on the main page i can not press it. It doesnt turn on the led, what could be the issue?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It has been a while since I have used Mach 3, do you have a license for Mach 3? If you look at the top left where is says Mach 3 it will state if you do or DEMO, I know some things do not work with Mach if you don't have a license.
Depending on the BOB you have as to what voltage the external relay needs to be, but I think if the BOB is powered by +5 volts or +12 volts that is the voltage of the relay needed. I have used a few different BOBs and they are not all the same as to how or which pins are used. The same for external relays, I have bought different ones to work with each BOB. Maybe if you attach a schematic of the BOB or the web page for it we can look it over and give you the info needed.
My LED for the THC does light when it is clicked on see attached screenshot.
THC 1.JPG
THC 1.JPG (28.47 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
THC 2.JPG
THC 2.JPG (22.28 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Mach 3 Plasma Relay Ignition Problem

Post by asuratman »

Code: Select all

My problem is when i turn on the plasma and press F5, the pc loses screen.
That could be interference due to hf start, I have that same problem then I put clamp ferrite, it works ok now.
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Its a bit old post, but where should i put ferites? I got 15-20 of them but dont know how many and where to use
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

nikolakuzzz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:20 am Its a bit old post, but where should i put ferites? I got 15-20 of them but dont know how many and where to use
It was my understanding that you install 1 at each end of your cable where it plugs into the computer and the controller. It helped solve my intererence issues. Not sure that putting more than 2 on will make any more of a difference.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Just to be sure, should i use ferrite beams on an already shielded cables with 2 side grounded drain wire from proma thc inputs?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When using shielded cable with a drain wire you only connect the end at the controller, not of both ends. That will make what is called ground loops not the best thing. On the Proma the power ground or minus is not the same as the comm, The comm is connected only to the BOB comm points, that is signal return.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

You mean only the end at the Proma THC? Still not sure what to so with the ferrites tho.
kicktillmonday
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kicktillmonday »

It can't hurt to put a ferrite drain on each end of a shielded cable, that will be fine. As for the drain wire connect on 1 end only as Tom mentioned and best to make it the end connected to the box where your plasma ignition relay is since that seems to be the source of your problem.
DIY 4x8 table
Powermax 65

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”