exported dxf to sheet cam

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
bikerman883
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

exported dxf to sheet cam

Post by bikerman883 »

i am hoping someone can help, I am new to using sheet cam and have scaled down a file and when I load into sheet cam it goes back to the original size of 24" I am wanting it at 12". am I doing something wrong or is this not possible to do?
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: exported dxf to sheet cam

Post by plasmanewbie »

Not judging your expertise but I have the same issue in the past and it was a simple fix. Turned out I kept opening the original file and not the re-scaled file. Try naming your re-scaled file a unique name so you know you have the right one.
53hudson
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by 53hudson »

Another option to solve the issue is when you import image into sheetcam a popup menu appears, on it you will see a scaling option by default it is set to 1:1 but you can change the factor to anything you want it to be not having to necessarily go back to your drawing file.
bikerman883
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bikerman883 »

Ok thanks, I got it. Now have an issue with torch firing and staying in one position for about 3 seconds before cutting a line. Then when it does it doesn’t always do the whole line and does segments.
Attachments
F2AB36E8-9E07-4E90-9CE9-9D8DCDD8F9FE.jpeg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

bikerman883 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 am Ok thanks, I got it. Now have an issue with torch firing and staying in one position for about 3 seconds before cutting a line. Then when it does it doesn’t always do the whole line and does segments.
Check your Pierce Delay time. It is important to delay long enough to fully pierce the material before the torch moves but yours is obviously delaying for far to long. This will ruin your nozzles very quickly which leads to other problems and so the snowball of issues begins for many new users :-x

As for the segmented lines that could be a number of things. Is your plasma cutter showing you an error? Is the machine still moving through the cutpath and just not cutting anything? More info would be helpful on this issue.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Are you using Mach3?
If so go to Config->ports and pins->spindle setup and make sure the spindle delays are all set to 0.
When you say you are getting segmented cuts, is the torch stopping then restarting to continue the cut? If so you could have breaks in your outlines. In SheetCam any outlines with breaks are coloured grey. Fully closed outlines are red or yellow.
bikerman883
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bikerman883 »

I have pierce delay set at .5 the torch fires and sits there too long before moving. I don’t have that issue with fusion 360. Only with sheet cam, yes I am using mach3. I didn’t get any errors when I did the tool path, it cuts and then sits there and turns off, and starts again for the other half of the line.
Attachments
03D876DB-B071-4AF1-BCDC-22A2E0200D52.jpeg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I think the problem is the drawing having way to many nodes, here is the same in SheetCam and you can see there is far lass nodes in it. I cut it fine. Are you using any cut rules when you post process? The files I used was downloaded from here as a DFX file. I am attaching it I did not do the original drawing just downloaded it.
American flag and bald eagle.dxf
(182.21 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
eagle.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bikerman883
1 Star Member