SheetCam vs Fusion 360

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
mjfabshack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

SheetCam vs Fusion 360

Post by mjfabshack »

I was wondering if anyone has tried both or whats the verdict. I just got my table done and ready to get things going. I like SheetCam but have to draw in other programs then import DXF file.
So, why not just use Fusion 360 it's free for hobbyist, and business under 100K. Then you have the CAD and CAM all in one, plus once you hit the 100K mark its pretty inexpensive to keep going with a All-in-One program.
Just figured I would ask because I'm new to CNC Plasma. But have been a machinist for 10 years now and I currently use Inventor everyday at my day job.

Thanks for any info and direction to point me I'm not afraid to spend the 125 bucks just think Fusion might be better.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: SheetCam vs Fusion 360

Post by acourtjester »

Hi
I have not used Fusion 360 and it seems to do the job for many, however there has been some talk about the output files for plasma do have some problems. I would do some Google searches and also with the search function here (upper right of the screen) and see if you can get an answer.
I use Inkscape which you can get both DXF and SVG files output that match up very well with SheetCam. You can also draw CAD type drawing with Inkscape by using the size and X and Y coordinates, just use a very small stroke when drawing.
I use TurboCad 2018 to do more complex DXF files, it goes for about $120 there are other free CAD programs like QCAD and other just Google free CAD programs. Some programs do have problems with the file format when loading into SheetCam or other programs, they end up funkie in the transfer so before you get to deep into any be sure they work together.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Fusion is great for drawing and doing cam for mills and lathes. Plasma is another story. Unless you have something like an esab or other big name brand plasma with their own more industrial control and can find a post for it then it might work. For the rest of us with pc based systems running linux or Mach, Sheetcam is the best for creating the Gcode file as it has all the features for torch delay, DTHC control etc etc. I suppose you could do a gcode file in fusion and then add in all the other stuff for each file but that would get old quick and tons of room for error.

Now if Fusion had a Sheetcam plugin that would be the cats arse. I love fusion for designing sheetmetal stuff and being able to easily create flat patterns and bend sheets but I still have to save out the flat dxf and bring it into sheetcam in the end.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I use Fusion for my mill and have used it for plasma but when I started using it there was no post for my plasma table so I just exported the dxf file. Maybe they have more posts available today.
mjfabshack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mjfabshack »

yeah I played with it over the weekend and I can see some of the problems. So when i need to de some close work I will just draw it in Fusion or Inventor and export as a DXF file. Biggest thing now is getting all the power settings dial in for different materials. I was going to pull another manufactures power table and use it as a starting point.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There have been posts about doing straight line cut to find the best cutting for each metal thicknesses. It is good to start with the chart but shortly you will see what to adjust and apply that to the chart to save time, you need to look at both speed and voltage if you are using a THC. The best cut height may be different with each Plasma manufacturer also.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Depending on the machine fusion may work just fine to plasma cut. However most modern machines have a special post processor for use with Sheetcam that allows more torch control than simply toolpathing some geometry. Sheetcam will overburn, allow cut rules, code snippets, turn dthc on or off and much much more. Fusion has NONE of that so far. Sure they could make a post and spend some time on it but the goal of Fusion was always to take market share from Mastercam and Solidworks. it has various levels and folks tend to like it if they have not used any other CAM or modeling program. I recommend sticking with sheetcam unless you have a pure entry level machine that relies on simply turning torch on and off.
mjfabshack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mjfabshack »

Yeah I'm still trying to learn the Rules, snippets, etc. I think I need to mess with my piercing delay on this one. Program starts inside the B does one and when it comes up and moves for the 2nd Inside Loop the plasma is still off (blowing air). But as far as my first letters and connecting them I'm proud this was a free test piece first cuts made on table.
pic.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

mjfabshack wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 am Yeah I'm still trying to learn the Rules, snippets, etc. I think I need to mess with my piercing delay on this one. Program starts inside the B does one and when it comes up and moves for the 2nd Inside Loop the plasma is still off (blowing air). But as far as my first letters and connecting them I'm proud this was a free test piece first cuts made on table.

pic.jpg
Awesome! You should be proud and that's a great feeling. It can only get better from here :Like
mjfabshack
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mjfabshack »

Thanks yeah I'm very proud tonight I'm working on something different and new also. i'm taking this first week or so to learn different design things so when I open the doors to my business the growing pains won't be as bad. Plus my 10 year Machining background in Job Shop has helped tremendously already. Just going to work on new designs, and figuring out Rules, and play with pierce delay tonight.

Return to “SheetCam”