SheetCam tools for routers

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

SheetCam tools for routers

Post by CleanCutCreations »

I'm wanting to try the router attachment on my plasma table, but I'm unsure of how to use it.

What are some tools I need to create in SheetCam for using the router?

Does Mach3 pause when youre cutting and the tool is supposed to change?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: SheetCam tools for routers

Post by WyoGreen »

You should have a separate Mach3 profile for routing, and use a different operation in Sheetcam to generate the g-code.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I think you'll want to turn on the mill function in SheetCam so you can use the rotary operations.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You can just use the generic Mach 3, as all you need to to move the axis to do routing. you can also add a simple touch off for the change tool function.
You can make a new profile like router and have the added function to make it easy to switch between plasma and routing. I use the same profile for diamond etching and drag knife as they are the same function as routing. Attached is the router program page I made a few changes to for tool changes probe led and button.
mach 3.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

acourtjester wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:18 pm You can just use the generic Mach 3, as all you need to to move the axis to do routing. you can also add a simple touch off for the change tool function.
You can make a new profile like router and have the added function to make it easy to switch between plasma and routing. I use the same profile for diamond etching and drag knife as they are the same function as routing. Attached is the router program page I made a few changes to for tool changes probe led and button.
mach 3.JPG
How do you input the size of the bit, or if you're using a v carving tool, how do you input that?

For instance (and this may be stupid questions), if i'm using a small bit for very detailed work, how do i input the size of it so that the router knows to carve out the area. Let's say im making a star, and i have a small bit and it carves the edges. How do i make sure it carves out the inside as well?

Or if im doing a large design, such as a word on top of a circle. And I carve out the words, then want to shave everything down shorter than the letters.

This may be a lot more than someone is willing to answer, so if anyone knows where I can find videos on this, that would also be helpful.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

you tell sheetcam it's a milling tool, give it the diameter

then when you call your operations some are profile cuts (outer edge only) and some are pocket cuts (inside pocket)

vcarve is a little different and you need to pay for the plugin
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Well what the video shows is actually called 2.5 D because you cut one depth and then cut the same path at a deeper depth no different path.
To do real 3 D and carve things you need a different software to use a "V" bit, I use 2 different ones. One is free called "F-Engrave" and the other is Estlcam (about $55. from Germany on-line order). There are videos showing both but not many I have had some very good results with Estlcam doing signs. But I am still learning to do inlays with both, I know the concept just falling short on the finished product. (Yes I know I miss spelled rest) :HaHa
When doing carving or 3-D type routing all 3 axis are used at the same time, and 2 or 2.5 D move the Z first and then separate movements of the X and Y axis.
Both use inside offset, outside offset, and pocket routing they generate their own G-codes. F-Engrave has some very neat other functions like engraving on a non-level surface, by plotting (probing) the shape of the surface at the start of an operation.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZSYP_W ... sp=sharing if you watch the router bit you can see it lift to make the bit tip cut finer details :Yay
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN2679.JPG
DSCN2796.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

robertspark wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm you tell sheetcam it's a milling tool, give it the diameter

then when you call your operations some are profile cuts (outer edge only) and some are pocket cuts (inside pocket)

vcarve is a little different and you need to pay for the plugin
Thank you for this info!
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

acourtjester wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 pm Well what the video shows is actually called 2.5 D because you cut one depth and then cut the same path at a deeper depth no different path.
To do real 3 D and carve things you need a different software to use a "V" bit, I use 2 different ones. One is free called "F-Engrave" and the other is Estlcam (about $55. from Germany on-line order). There are videos showing both but not many I have had some very good results with Estlcam doing signs. But I am still learning to do inlays with both, I know the concept just falling short on the finished product. (Yes I know I miss spelled rest) :HaHa
When doing carving or 3-D type routing all 3 axis are used at the same time, and 2 or 2.5 D move the Z first and then separate movements of the X and Y axis.
Both use inside offset, outside offset, and pocket routing they generate their own G-codes. F-Engrave has some very neat other functions like engraving on a non-level surface, by plotting (probing) the shape of the surface at the start of an operation.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZSYP_W ... sp=sharing if you watch the router bit you can see it lift to make the bit tip cut finer details :Yay
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN2679.JPG
DSCN2796.JPG
Thank you very much! Very helpful information! I will look into F-Engrave.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:55 pm Well what the video shows is actually called 2.5 D because you cut one depth and then cut the same path at a deeper depth no different path.
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN2679.JPG
DSCN2796.JPG
nice work acoutjester, thanks for Estlcam, never heard of it before, I'll check it out
:Like

Return to “SheetCam”