Sheetcam question

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Sheetcam question

Post by bigcreek »

Question regarding sheetcam... When I open certain pictues up in sheetcam the picture opens up fine and I can see all the lines within the picture that I need to cut.. I then run operation plasma cut and it shows the paths to be cut but it skips over many of the smaller lines. All the ones it skips over are yellow closed loop paths. If it is an open path that is just a line and not a continuous loop then it will select it and cut it regardless of how small it is. Then when I open the picture in commandCNC those lines that were skipped over and not included of course don't show up at all and therefore are not cut. So my question is.. I know there has to be a setting I can change to make it select those smaller closed loop paths but don't know what it is. You can see in the picture the many lines it skipped over that wont get cut. I am using plasmacam language here and I know the verbage is a bit different for sheetcam/commandcnc users but Im sure you understand what I am talking about. I am using a ArcLight Dynamics table cutting 10 gauge. Thank you
Attachments
stuff 098.JPG
stuff 096.JPG
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Sheetcam question

Post by beefy »

Are all the objects on 1 single layer or several layers.

If you have several layers, you have to do an operation for each layer.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

They are on a single layer.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I'd have to see the job file to try and figure out what's going on.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I'm not a Sheetcam guy but is it possible that the software is detecting that the kerf width would cut away these thin closed objects and eliminating them? What if you set your kerf to 0 and see how it looks on the screen.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Are you getting any warning in the top left corner stating that the some paths is too small to cut?
Jacobjj
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jacobjj »

Check your drawing in your vector software to see if you have open vectors or multiple vectors duplicated in the same group. Sometimes sheetcam will skip open or duplicated vectors.

I use v carve pro to skim over the missing start areas by zooming way in and looking or selection the problem area and using to close open vector tool.

Another way to bypass it if your kerf is too large for the small part is to select those areas and put them in a second layer and make a new jet operation and set the kerf to .001, turn the thc off on those areas as well.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

it helps to look at a cutting like this and think about how you would cut it by hand. Thnk about what falls out and what stays. SheetCAM has some powerful tools to make cutting complex designs easier. While its pretty good if you slam everything on one layer and it tries to figure out what is inside something else and use an Inside cut path for those objects, it work a lot better if you take control and do it yourself. With the contour tool go and select all of th small inside cuts . Click and ctrl lets you select multiple objects not connected. do a right click and move then all to a New Layer and name it something that makes sense (like "insidesmallcuts" then select the larger inside objects and group them on another layer. then do the text separately. I will say that design needs a LOT of cleanup before you try to cut it. If cuts are to narrow (like some of the notches it simply won't cut them. It will not allow the torch to pass over itself ot too close to fit the kerf in . You will have to make those separate ONline open line cuts on another layer if you want them. I suspect this is from some art collection has been auto-traced and its pretty ragged . Plasma does not have the resolution of a laser and cutting lines too close to others will play havoc with your DTHC . i don't know what size this is supposed to be but unless its well over 4ft across the obects are simply too close and the tiny jaggies are not going to cut or if they do it will not be in the detail you hope for.

Let one of the guys here take the drawing and help you clean it up and show you how to set it up in SheetCAM so it cuts in the order you define and using the correct inside or outside (or online) method for that layer
beverly30
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by beverly30 »

Does anyone have a complete tool set that I can upload into SheetCam for the Hypertherm 45x.
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up opening the file back up and just turning those closed loop paths into open line paths and it cuts them fine that way. I am new to the sheetcam world as Ive been using Plasmacam software for the last 12 years or so. I cut this sign at 3' and it cut well, but 4' would have been better. I certainly wouldn't cut it any smaller than that. The artwork is designs from Jason Henry and other places which I threw together. Thanks tcaudle for the info I will give that a shot.
DWalls
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by DWalls »

I had the same issue in the beginning and it was as others have suggested, the parts are smaller than the kerf is set in your tool options, mine was set to .059 by default. I changed it to .01 and then it cut out the smaller stuff. Someone on another forum said that he makes a circle just a little larger than his kerf size and runs it around all of his small parts and make sure that he has the clearance that he needs. Just another way to check your drawing before going to sheetcam.

Good luck
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

DWalls wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:05 am I had the same issue in the beginning and it was as others have suggested, the parts are smaller than the kerf is set in your tool options, mine was set to .059 by default. I changed it to .01 and then it cut out the smaller stuff. Someone on another forum said that he makes a circle just a little larger than his kerf size and runs it around all of his small parts and make sure that he has the clearance that he needs. Just another way to check your drawing before going to sheetcam.

Good luck
Sheetcam also has a measuring function. I usually click on the nesting operation "the snowflake", right click when your cursor is in the part field and select "measure" from the drop down. After that I measure the distance between profiles that are close. I allow about .125" between the tight profiles to ensure I don't end up with a blob.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

when in SheetCam ( development) you plan a cut, there ia a icon you can slick on the shows the kerf width. This may help you see it one cut interferes with another.
sheet 1.JPG
sheet 1.JPG (52.18 KiB) Viewed 794 times
sheet 2.JPG
sheet 2.JPG (48.4 KiB) Viewed 794 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AnthonyKoor
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by AnthonyKoor »

Keith, under Options, application options, advanced label, check the "Allow multiple parts" box.
I also think he wants "New part" instead of "import drawing".
As I understand it, "Import drawing" adds or replaces the existing drawing.
If this does not work for you, post it on the Yahoo - Sheet-cam site, Less is super on support.

Hope this helps,
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

AnthonyKoor wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm Keith, under Options, application options, advanced label, check the "Allow multiple parts" box.
I also think he wants "New part" instead of "import drawing".
As I understand it, "Import drawing" adds or replaces the existing drawing.
If this does not work for you, post it on the Yahoo - Sheet-cam site, Less is super on support.

Hope this helps,
Thanks Anthony,

I think that "Allow Multiple Parts" check box is enabled by default. I can't remember enabling it myself and I often do multiple part drawings.

Yes you are correct. Subsequent imports over-write previous imports, so you must use "New Part". Same thing happens when you try and bring another part in when "Allow Multiple Parts" is not enabled.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “SheetCam”