Edit Tool Name in SheetCam Tool Table

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Edit Tool Name in SheetCam Tool Table

Post by acourtjester »

Long time back I named the tools with added info about thickness or nozzle, for some reason the added names disappeared. :Sad
This was for all save toolsets, on an old disc I found the toolset with those names :Yay . I then set out to rename them again, this turned out to be tricky. I went to the full list of tools first and clicked on edit and made the changes (no save button there) on exit they were gone. After some finger boning I found how to do it. In either location where you can change the name info I found by back spacing to the start of the name and adding a space, then moving to the end of the original name and adding the change it worked. I'm not smart just found by accident :Wow. Then I saved that to a new name toolset, and then save to default (extra insurance :HaHa ). Now the changes are there at startup :Yay .
SheetCam tool name change 2.JPG
SheetCam tool name change 2.JPG (73.04 KiB) Viewed 361 times
SheetCam tool name change 3.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Edit Tool Name in SheetCam Tool Table

Post by plasmanewbie »

That's awesome! So many things I solve just by messing with it long enough. Persistence pays off :Like
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry I thought I replied to this one. SheetCam used to have an 'automatically name tool' function which had a tendency to wipe out custom names if it was turned on. I removed that function and tried to make it as seamless as possible. When you modify a tool SheetCam automatically generates a name. If your description is blank or very close to that automatic name, it uses the automatic name.

Because you just added a bit on the end of the name SheetCam mistakenly thought it should use it's version.

So basically I tried to stop it accidentally wiping out tool names and ... it starts wiping out tool names in a different way!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

thanks Les, after thinking about the way I did it by adding a space at the front. I thought It was looking at it as a completely new name and include the extended name. I am not a coding dude just one who finger bones around until I can do as I want or surrender in failure. :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :Sad
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “SheetCam”