SVG files from illustrator are downsized

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
w.e. design
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

SVG files from illustrator are downsized

Post by w.e. design »

Couldn't find a solid answer on previous posts, but SVG files come out proportionally smaller when opened in sheetcam....for example a 12x12" square will be 9.5x9.5" square opened up in sheetcam.

Everything is set to inches on both programs and proportions are set to 1:1 when i open "parts" on sheetcam. Stumped!

I have to make the scale 1:1.251 to make it roughly the size i made it in illustrator.

any ideas?

thank you,
Will Ehmann
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: SVG files from illustrator are downsized

Post by AKmud »

I’m having the same problem but with Inkscape to Sheetcam. My files are growing by about 6% (76” part came out 80 1/2”). Did you figure anything out?
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Post up one of your files and it will make likely make it easier for someone here to help :Like
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

This is what I was working on. It showed 76" at the longest point in Inkscape, but jumps up to 80" when I open it in Sheetcam.

FP plates asm r2 3-25-20.DXF
(59.02 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I am not a sheetcam user but now that the file is available maybe another member can help you. I can confirm it opened up in CorelDraw at 76"
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I downloaded your file and opened it in Inkscape and it shows 76.009" and then in SheetCam and it showed 75.967". an interesting point is
started on the left at -0.1075 with the right side at 75.8495" the very small error could be mouse cursor position on my screen. Also it shows 3 different lengths on the screen for both Inkscape and SheetCam.
file 1.JPG
file 2.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

My buddy had this issue when working with me for stuff he wanted cut. He has AI. We encountered sizing issues too. He exported instead of saved from AI. Highlight the whole thing and export to SVG. I was then able to open it up in Inkscape to check the correct size on my Table PC with CommandCNC. Hope this helps. YMMV.
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

Thanks for looking. The three different sizes are correct. I was going with the overall for reference. Inkscape shows the 76.009” for me as well, but Sheetcam was just over 80” overall. He fixed these pieces by cutting 4” out and welding them back together. He will probably end up being a regular customer who draws his own files so I’d like to get this figured out.

We will take a look at your recommendation TJS. Thanks.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Why not send an message to Les at SheetCam and send the file too. He has replied to many questions in the past.
I have not had a problem like that between Inkscape and SheetCam. I did think it was odd that the file showed in the negative and not X 0.0 and Y 0.0 as the left bottom edge of the file. I know you can select the start location in SheetCam as to center, or any corner to position the file orientation. I just snooped around in SheetCam there is a place under Options and then parking where you can offset the file position, but don't think it would cause your problem.
parking.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

The parking position is the coordinates that the machine will go to when it is finished cutting. It gets inserted at the end of the gcode. Doesn't have anything to do with the position of parts.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

Thanks Jester, I will do that. I'm new to the site and CNC, still trying to keep my head above water.

Return to “SheetCam”