Issue on multiple operating systems. (pics)

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Issue on multiple operating systems. (pics)

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Hi all.
I typically use Qcad pro for my simple design work. I have an older version on the Linux OS at the machine, and a new version on the windows laptop. I also use an older version of sheetcam on the Linux and a new version on the windows laptop. The Linux machine does not have internet access and I have not had a reason to access it, so it remains old version until such need comes up.

The machine is an Arlight dynamics 6'x12', and the post processor is Arclight's post processor.

I am trying to run a drilling operation. My table size and working envelope are both set at 72x144. I have used both the Linux and windows Qcad to create a single line of .9375" holes approx. 52" wide. On each computer's sheetcam programs, this line of holes goes to hole number 43, then skips a hole and starts again at hole 44. I have re-drawn this line of holes several times to eliminate the drawing as the issue, each time, the same results on both Linux and windows versions of sheetcam. i will attempt to illustrate in pictures of the screen. This is at the Linux screen after drawing imported and nesting clicked.
1.jpg
Next is after toolpath is selected.
2.jpg
Next up is once the operation with tool is selected. These pictures represent both operating systems. They both skip at the very same point and continue with the very same sequence.
3.jpg
And a closer up view.
4.jpg
What am I missing here? I am in no way computer savvy. I am a top professional at screwing stuff up. But there seems to me some sort of setup issue. Or is this a common sheetcam issue?
Thanks for any help.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Issue on multiple operating systems. (pics)

Post by djreiswig »

Turn on the paths and see where it is cutting. I'm guessing those parts are cutting as one. Maybe chaining so no pierce.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Try reducing the min hole size and increasing the max hole size. It could be that the problem hole is a tiny fraction smaller or bigger then the others. If your min and max hole sizes are too close it may miss the hole.
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

I did experiment with the min and max hole size, but no avail unfortunately. I also tried running the same pattern vertically and it has the very same issue at the very same location. So this morning I tried starting with a single hole and nesting in an array. I went horizontal and it worked, then attempted vertical and it worked here on the windows computer. I will try the same nesting pattern on the Linux later and report back. I should also maybe have a closer look at Qcad to see if I can decrease the tolerances to avoid that possible ever so slight fraction tolerance.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Could you send me the job file (File->save job) with everything set up as per the screen shot. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:19 am Could you send me the job file (File->save job) with everything set up as per the screen shot. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.
How do I post it? Attachment?
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

I've saved the sheetcam job several times in various folders and can not find it when trying to attach a job file here. I do have the dxf file that I used and have attached it. Hopefully is can open.
hole grid.dxf
(105.95 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

I can attach a screen shot, but not the job file for some reason.
hole grid jpeg.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The modified Post Processors are not stored with the others for SheetCam. Look at the top of the image and you can see where mine are stored. start with the /users folder and walk you way to the SheetCam folder and you will find yours.
post proc.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:12 pm The modified Post Processors are not stored with the others for SheetCam. Look at the top of the image and you can see where mine are stored. start with the /users folder and walk you way to the SheetCam folder and you will find yours.
post proc.JPG
Thank you for that new bit of information. The sheetcam folder was empty though for some reason. I wish I could attach an NCG file, but it says invalid file extension.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

there will only be files in there if you modified on of the posts, if you do any changes that is where they are stored. If you just add a simple extension to the name of the post it will then be in there, and will then also show in the list of post in SheetCam itself.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Deezl Smoke
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

acourtjester wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 am there will only be files in there if you modified on of the posts, if you do any changes that is where they are stored. If you just add a simple extension to the name of the post it will then be in there, and will then also show in the list of post in SheetCam itself.
Please bare with me, by simple file extension, is there one that works best, or are there extensions to avoid?
Also, since I am able to accomplish my task by using on hole in sheetcam, and then nesting in an array, would that indicate a qcad file accuracy issue or other qcad issue instead of sheetcam? Maybe? Just trying to learn as I go. The older I get, the more repetition it takes for me to retain something. But I am sure having fun learning cnc. Never in my life would I have figured I'd have the capacity to learn how to use tools like these. It brings a smile to my face each and every morning.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Let me tell you at 77 the repetition catches us all :Yay Just remember we all started at the same place (Blank slate) but learning is fun. I should have made the term extensions clearer, In computerees and extension is after the period, what I meant was extending the name (Mach3 plasma toms edit.scpost so it creates a new post processor. SheetCam and other programs like QCAD will assign the correct extension to a file when saved you just give it a file name. Sorry I get carried away sometimes :HaHa :HaHa .
Now there can be slight differences from one program to another (talked about that here before), I don't use QCAD but I do know they have different file formats you can save drawings with even with the DXF format (I think they show different dates meaning different versions). Another thing that can cause dimension problems is the width of the path or line thickness. If you draw one circle with 0.030" thickness and another with 0.003" thickness that could affect the cut dimension. IMHO
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “SheetCam”