Importing multiple .tap files to create a nested sheet of parts

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Bywater
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Importing multiple .tap files to create a nested sheet of parts

Post by Bywater »

Hi everyone, still learning sheetcam. Making my cut files over and over is taking me too long. There has to be a better way. I did try searching.

I have learned how to import both new DXF files, and DXF files that have tool paths, and then add tool paths. I am able to run post processor and convert to a .tap. And these run nicely on the Cnc.

But here’s my problem. I have found no way to import in a dxf with a cut file, and nest parts I have saved with tool paths. I can get one part to save, and I can cut the one part. But if I want several parts, I have to build from scratch, and import in each dxf, and build new tool paths.

When I start a new job, I’d like to take the file (.tap) that has the tool path and tool already setup and import it in, and then I’d like to import in another one, Etc... until I have a whole nested sheet with parts I cut over and over. Currently I have to build the tool paths from scratch every time I cut.

Is there a way to do this in sheetcam?

I did find one article that says yes, and to make sure when you import to toggle to g-code. I found 2 problems with that. 1- it only brings in the dxf, the tool path portion is gone, 2-if I bring in a 2nd drawing, the 1st one disappears.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Importing multiple .tap files to create a nested sheet of parts

Post by Les Newell »

You need to use parts in SheetCam. Create a new part (File->new part) before importing your drawing into the part. You can have as many parts as you want. It's also worth saving the job (File->save job) when you are done. That way you can add parts or modify settings at a later date.
Go to YouTube and search for SheetCam nesting. You will find several videos on the subject.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Importing multiple .tap files to create a nested sheet of parts

Post by acourtjester »

Here are some things that will help you to position added parts for nesting. Use new part to bring them into SheetCam add them to the middle of your work area so you can select them to easily move to your nested location, that way they are not piled upon each other.
sheet 1.JPG
sheet 2.JPG
sheet 3.JPG
sheet 4.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “SheetCam”