Wiggle pierce and cut Cut ordering

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Improvise
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Wiggle pierce and cut Cut ordering

Post by Improvise »

Hi all,
I mainly cut 1.6mm (16 Guage) HR steel and seem to really chew through the consumables. I use fine cut nozzles and the nozzle orrifce always seem to blow out after a very short period of time. The electrode is generally still ok. This seems to result in not cutting all the way through the materia on certain cuts, not alll. I have a good earth directly to sheet and table (clamp onto metal with bottom of clamp on slat).
I have filters on my air compressor and also a refrigerated air dryer.
Is it worth setting up the wiggle piece setting or is this only necessary for when cutting thicker steel?
Also wanted to ask after creating an operation and choosing the "cut path" tab, is the "cut ordering" suppose to be on Auto or manual? I just noticed my is on manual but it seems to have mostly always chosen the right order. I have been cutting for around a year and have only just noticed this.
Any help would really be appreciated!
Cheers
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Wiggle pierce and cut Cut ordering

Post by Les Newell »

Wiggle pierce is mostly for thicker material so probably won't help. It may even make things worse. Piercing on 1.6mm should be pretty much instantaneous anyway. Maybe try reducing the current. I've found that reducing the current a bit can improve consumable life. Also make sure your cut height is correct. Cutting too high will eat the nozzle.

I generally recommend setting the cut ordering to auto. Make sure the cutting rules option is not set to 'shortest path'. For thinner materials like you are using 'Keep parts together' is probably the best option.
Improvise
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Wiggle pierce and cut Cut ordering

Post by Improvise »

Les Newell wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:01 am Wiggle pierce is mostly for thicker material so probably won't help. It may even make things worse. Piercing on 1.6mm should be pretty much instantaneous anyway. Maybe try reducing the current. I've found that reducing the current a bit can improve consumable life. Also make sure your cut height is correct. Cutting too high will eat the nozzle.

I generally recommend setting the cut ordering to auto. Make sure the cutting rules option is not set to 'shortest path'. For thinner materials like you are using 'Keep parts together' is probably the best option.
ok thanks Les appreciate the response

Return to “SheetCam”